Board logo

Help with Mini
kitcar007kev - 12/7/11 at 07:39 PM

Advice needed

Advice needed - never stripped a car before. do i need to replace sills and floor or can i patch floor??

theconrodkid - 12/7/11 at 07:51 PM

when i was brave enough to tackle such things,you could buy extra wide sills that covered all the rusty floor pan area

Ninehigh - 12/7/11 at 07:52 PM

Personally I'd replace them, however if someone more knowledgable says otherwise then fine.

The floor itself appears to be fine and small holes I reckon could be patched, but the sills look pretty bad

minitici - 12/7/11 at 07:56 PM

At least you have a rotisserie which makes working on the car a lot easier.

Just don't cut out all the floors and sills at the same time!

Just as well that Mini panels are readily available and cheap.

I've not looked at my Italian Job for a few years but I suspect that the bodywork has not improved with age
(Last time I looked, it needed front & rear valencies, windscreen scuttle, bonnet and door skins and probably needs yet another set of sills and A panels)

russbost - 12/7/11 at 08:49 PM

Don't be tempted to just slap new sills over the rusted old metal. Cut all the rusty old stuff (not both sides at once!) away before welding new panels on, you will probably find the inner sills have substantial rot as well. Some of the old patches only appear to have been tack welded in place - any patch panels should be seam welded for MoT purposes, tack or spot welding is only acceptable for MoT where the panels were attached that way as original. As said at least panels are cheap!

Kwik - 12/7/11 at 08:55 PM

replace sills, floor wise i would patch it, but panels are amazingly cheap you may as well replace it for a panel...

i restored a car in a bit of a worse state than yours, dont give up on it they are a joy to drive, especially when its something you restored...

noc231073 - 12/7/11 at 09:06 PM

you need to remove the outer sills first to see what under neat...

then replace the rusty floor panels....you can buy quarter floor panels and patch with them

and put new sills on

is it for a z car build?

if so just repair up to the part you have to cut .

noc231073 - 12/7/11 at 09:12 PM

oh btw can you weld ???
if not nows a good time to start learning ....
learnt my welding on a mini
from this

noc231073 - 12/7/11 at 09:14 PM

to this :

and a front page on mini magazine...
and never welded before i started..

it can be done

[Edited on 12/7/11 by noc231073]

noc231073 - 12/7/11 at 09:19 PM

if ya need any help dont be afraid to u2u me ...

Badger_McLetcher - 12/7/11 at 10:19 PM

I'd replace them personally, not doing so is a false economy IMO.
Where ya to mate? If you're relatively close I'd be happy to come have a butchers