Board logo

Lower cost racing (Rotax Max)
probablyleon - 13/7/11 at 09:01 AM

I've recently started to look at ways I could get my motorsport kicks for a bit less, sadly the 'lo' in locost (or RGB) isn't really 'lo' enough for my ever diminishing budget (my wife's beginning to work it out). I reckon I'll probably be able to hang on to my Fury for another year or two, but then there's every chance I'll have to face the inevitable

A friend of mine who races Formula Ford has turned me onto Rotax Max karts. He and his FF racing compadres use these things out of season to 'stay sharp'. They look fantastic: very quick, relatively cheap to buy (£1000-£1500 on ebay), and the local ish kart track (Clay Pidgeon) is open for free practice all day Friday and Sat for £30 per day! Am I missing something here?

onenastyviper - 13/7/11 at 09:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by probablyleon
I've recently started to look at ways I could get my motorsport kicks for a bit less, sadly the 'lo' in locost (or RGB) isn't really 'lo' enough for my ever diminishing budget (my wife's beginning to work it out). I reckon I'll probably be able to hang on to my Fury for another year or two, but then there's every chance I'll have to face the inevitable

A friend of mine who races Formula Ford has turned me onto Rotax Max karts. He and his FF racing compadres use these things out of season to 'stay sharp'. They look fantastic: very quick, relatively cheap to buy (£1000-£1500 on ebay), and the local ish kart track (Clay Pidgeon) is open for free practice all day Friday and Sat for £30 per day! Am I missing something here?

Sounds very interesting, anyone have anymore information?

SeanStone - 13/7/11 at 09:11 AM

to be competitive in karting, it isn't cheap. i know a 17 year old guy who won a few british karting championships that came into formula 4 in the 750 because it was the cheaper option.

phelpsa - 13/7/11 at 09:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SeanStone
to be competitive in karting, it isn't cheap.

That depends on how good a driver you are really. Thats the brilliant thing about karting

SeanStone - 13/7/11 at 09:46 AM

Then I stand happily corrected!

eddie99 - 13/7/11 at 10:43 AM

As above, rotax max is not cheap if you want to be competitive. I have a few friends who do it and are at the front and paying more than myself....

Oh and EDIT: they aren't crap drivers either......

[Edited on 13/7/11 by eddie99]

probablyleon - 13/7/11 at 11:02 AM

I'm not really that bothered about the competitive aspect, at least for now. More looking for a good trackday alternative. I'm guessing these things are pretty quick (but feel ridiculously quick) and at sub £1500 for what look to be the serious racers' cast offs + £30 per day for track time it looks to be a lot of 'bang for your buck'. For the cost of one car trackday I reckon I could do two days at Clay Pidgeon, pay for a cheap B&B and eat pretty well too. I also like the price of the tyres and fuel etc etc and not to mention the lower cost of 'mistakes'. Also... single cylinder, 2-stroke... what could possibly go wrong

Kwik - 13/7/11 at 11:38 AM

if you want to look into doing races instead of practice days how about endurance racing? its a slower pace, and i think the best value.

plus you can split the cost of a £1500 car between 3 people... even cheaper, just as much fun, besides you wouldn't be able to run the kart for a whole day, would be way too tiring..

this has now got me thinking... i hate this forum sometimes

probablyleon - 13/7/11 at 11:53 AM

Now you're talking

tims31 - 13/7/11 at 02:04 PM

I used to race the Rotax Max class years ago when they were first introduced [Mid 90's] and were taking over from the 100cc air cooled engines. The Max is a very quick and responsive engine, has a power valve which comes in at around 7000 rpm if i remember correctly and goes on revving to about 15000. The engine needs a rebuild around every 50 hours of use and a rebuild will set you back about £300. You can't do these yourself if you are racing as they are sealed and only approved dealers are allowed to do the overhauls.

As stated, if you want to be competitive then the skys the limit but if you just want some close racing with some very friendly people around the paddock then Clay Pidgeon is a great place and the running cost aren't too bad.

Pop down one race weekend practice day and have a chat with those in the pits who should be able to give you an idea of running costs.

Also, take a look ABKC

Avatar on left is me racing a Max at Buckmore Park against Gary Paffet!!!! - Oh how our career paths are so different

[Edited on 13/7/11 by tims31]

matt.c - 13/7/11 at 09:54 PM

It doesn't have to cost the earth to race rotax max.

If you are new to racing karts then you really dont want to throw too much money at it. You will get quicker and quicker every meeting using the same tyres, settings etc by just getting seat time.

I race Non MSA club meetings where the rules are slightly relaxed but keeps racing close and has much smaller budgets. The club i race at has over 100 drivers most meetings. I have never bought a new set of tires yet, i just use part worn ones for ebay.

I dont set fastest laps but am quick enough to get myself 2 trophys for best novice and a 4th place overall.

Racing is racing where ever you are placed. all the way down the pack there will be someone to race with.

probablyleon - 14/7/11 at 09:21 AM

Just out of interest, are there many people in their 30s and 40s racing these things?

matt.c - 14/7/11 at 10:28 PM

Plenty of us are that age and over! You dont have to be 13 and weigh 6 stone to go well in karts. I race Rotax max 177, min driver weight is 85kg and total weight plus driver must weigh 177kg. Gearbox karting weigh even more.

You will find out that more older people race karts at that age because they can again afford to race after having kids etc.

matt.c - 14/7/11 at 10:39 PM

First time back racing for 6 months. I had fun.

Race Video