Sad times.....

graememk - 31/10/11 at 03:50 PM

well i'm thinking about selling as well mate sorry

tegwin - 31/10/11 at 04:00 PM

Its that time of year again..

steve m - 31/10/11 at 04:06 PM

I would rather cut my car up into small pieces than sell it,
but then i created it from lengths of steel, and a book

A kit car, even though someone has put it together, will never have the same attachment

Steve

mcerd1 - 31/10/11 at 04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
A kit car, even though someone has put it together, will never have the same attachment

I'm very attached to my big pile of bits - one day I might even make a kitcar out of them

jossey - 31/10/11 at 04:10 PM

im building mine from steel lengths and i keep cutting it up but thats more about changing my mind on engine location etc.....

lol

40inches - 31/10/11 at 04:11 PM

Sign of the (hard) times Also the worst time to sell, need to be VERY lucky to sell one for more than £5,000.
Some real bargains on ebay for around £3-4,000. ebay finished listings. Check out the ratio of red to green and what the green ones sold for.
Not good

mcerd1 - 31/10/11 at 04:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Some real bargains on ebay for around £3-4,000. ebay finished listings.

lots of magenta's for sale (I didn't know that may existed ) so it looks like Owelly's sorted for years to come

UncleFista - 31/10/11 at 04:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I would rather cut my car up into small pieces than sell it,
but then i created it from lengths of steel, and a book

Steve

I feel the same way about mine, I'll sell the kids first
Although it does make it easier in these cash strapped times that it's worth very little.
It'd be a different story if I had a toy worth £8-9I sat in the garage, especially to the missus

owelly - 31/10/11 at 04:22 PM

Its taken a lot of restraint but I've run out of room for plastic cars!

T66 - 31/10/11 at 04:22 PM

On a similar them - its also fair to say, a LOT of good items, are not selling either....

Folk are being careful with their money, far more than usual.

stevec - 31/10/11 at 04:24 PM

I Have been thinking of selling mine to build something new,
have put it away for the winter now and will think again in the spring.
Steve.

Norfolkluegojnr - 31/10/11 at 04:51 PM

Fisher Fury ZZR1400 | eBay

What a bargain this was.

Sad times, but mine is staying firmly in the garage (until spring....)

franky - 31/10/11 at 04:51 PM

I guess a lot of people are selling for the winter build itch.

blue2cv - 31/10/11 at 04:53 PM

Monies tight, toys go first normally

pekwah1 - 31/10/11 at 05:01 PM

lack of money mainly....
that and i want to start my own business and it's one of the main ways of raising some capital...
oh and it's this time of year!

jossey - 31/10/11 at 05:04 PM

coozer - 31/10/11 at 05:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by franky
I guess a lot of people are selling for the winter build itch.

That's it, mines just in the way, always is this time of year.. if I had the space for what I've got I'd be more happy.

jacko - 31/10/11 at 05:11 PM

Well i am thinking of selling my Indy too i have had it for 6 years and think its time to move on to a new project [ lotus Europa 1972 type age ] with a roof so it can be used all year round and tax free
Jacko

perksy - 31/10/11 at 05:18 PM

Mine will be going on the market early next year

Not due to financial reasons just due to the fact i did 350 miles last year and 460 miles the year before that

Either working or on-call, So not using it enough to warrant keeping it i'm afraid

Won't be giving it away though

Probably spent more time on me mountain bike this year tbh

franky - 31/10/11 at 05:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Well i am thinking of selling my Indy too i have had it for 6 years and think its time to move on to a new project [ lotus Europa 1972 type age ] with a roof so it can be used all year round and tax free
Jacko

Similar thing here, i'm going to get a californian import 240z(rust/rot free!) and tinker with that as:

A: cheap insurance
B: Zero road tax
C: Should never loose money
D: They're so cool
E: Did I mention how cool they are

MautoK - 31/10/11 at 05:44 PM

I'm selling because it's just not getting used.
When I started the build in '03, I aimed to be running in a year or so and to use it for going to work on nice fine sunny days through the Gloucestershire countryside.
The real world got in the way meaning that I couldn't devote the necessary time to the build; I retired at the end of '06; moved house in '07 and eventually SVA'd in March '09.
Since then the car's done about 1250 miles - only 50 this year. Having retired I'm just too busy to go gallivanting around the countryside!
The tintop has only done 4400 miles between MoTs; 1500 of that was two trips by SWMBO to Yorkshire.
So I'm finding it hard to justify one car, leave alone two.
John.

l0rd - 31/10/11 at 05:51 PM

It is simple.

If you look, most of the sale adverts are BEC.

This is due to the fact, that most of them do not have reverse gear and driving the car when raining, snowing etc and having to reverse which means going out from the car in the rain or snow in order to push it makes people have second thoughts about it.

That is my opinion

r1_pete - 31/10/11 at 05:52 PM

Similar thing here, i'm going to get a californian import 240z(rust/rot free!) and tinker with that as:

Be careful they aren't all rust and rot free, far less so than a UK car but they do have rust and rot. I bought a California E Type, and had a significant numver of panels to replace.

On the selling subject, mine is staying, just done some work on re aligning the sills and have really nice shut lines now, so enthusiasm for it is on the up.

Proby - 31/10/11 at 05:55 PM

Nearly 11 (2001) years ago, I spent £13k building a Westfield Megablade. I put my heart and soul into it, built it exactly the way I wanted it, and had great fun for 12 months in it. I then realised I had £13k sitting in the garage that was going to do about 500 miles a year, and I could not justify leaving it there with me needing to get on the property ladder too. I sold up, and it felt like someone had cut my right arm off!! I've had a few nice cars since, but missed something to really 'tinker with'. I itched for something else with a bike engine, but promised myself I would only do it if I could afford to let it sit in the garage from a financial point of things. I bought the F27 blade for pennies, and would not even consider selling it unless it's getting replaced by something similar!

franky - 31/10/11 at 05:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete

Be careful they aren't all rust and rot free, far less so than a UK car but they do have rust and rot. I bought a California E Type, and had a significant number of panels to replace.

On the selling subject, mine is staying, just done some work on re aligning the sills and have really nice shut lines now, so enthusiasm for it is on the up.

Totally agree, I'm mean in relative terms

At least you can get stuff for E types.

A1 - 31/10/11 at 06:02 PM

i use mine all year, id never sell it...not after all the miles of fun/scraped knuckles etc...

rb968 - 31/10/11 at 06:39 PM

Well having drip fed money into mine over nearly three years I don't think of it as £5-6k sitting in the garage I think of it as cheap thrills that is cheap to run compared with previous cars and I don't owe anyone for it.

I agree with the comment earlier about BEC as having now finished it, it's thrilling but the crap electric reverse makes I less than ideal, and has made me think about the few runs out I've had.

Watch out for a "how easy is it to drop an mx5 engine and box into an Indy?" thread

A more practical drivetrain might mean I use it more. Not sure how long my zx9 will last either!

Plus of course the desire of a new project is always there.

Rich

zilspeed - 31/10/11 at 06:55 PM

And on a similar vein, how many people with about a grand tied up in an MX5 are looking to sell up ?

Usable 80 % of the time for about 20% of the cost.

samjc - 31/10/11 at 07:09 PM

Not a total loss at this market, it is a big shame having to sell your kit but for me I cant complain as ive got a duratec v6 being deliverd tomorrow for £170 with 40k when removed thats only due to someone running out of funds for their project. Which is good for parts but bad for thoes selling or trying not to see

omega0684 - 31/10/11 at 07:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by graememk
well i'm thinking about selling as well mate sorry

You'll never sell yours!

Hellfire - 31/10/11 at 08:44 PM

I quite fancy the thought of selling up and doing a Austin Healey Sprite restoration but I just couldn't bear the thought of the Indy not being in the garage and available for me to use whenever I feel like it........

Phil

welderman - 31/10/11 at 09:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
I quite fancy the thought of selling up and doing a Austin Healey Sprite restoration but I just couldn't bear the thought of the Indy not being in the garage and available for me to use whenever I feel like it........

Phil

cant remember the last time i saw you driving it, normally see BIG DADDY HELFIRE lol

welderman - 31/10/11 at 09:39 PM

BAck on topic, i love my car never want to sell it, ever

Ninehigh - 1/11/11 at 09:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
And on a similar vein, how many people with about a grand tied up in an MX5 are looking to sell up ?

Usable 80 % of the time for about 20% of the cost.

That may just be it. An MX5 is a fun but everyday car, whereas a bec isn't (generally) a daily driver.
On that I imagine a good few bikes are up for sale too

adithorp - 1/11/11 at 10:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by welderman
BAck on topic, i love my car never want to sell it, ever

What he said!

...and not being able to reverse in the snow is about the most obscure reason I've heard yet against BECs. ...and for what it's worth, the one time I've been on a Swiss alpine pass in the snow (on 888s) my car was doing OK. It was the Toyota engined Westfield in front that got stuck; Torque's a bitch when it just spins up the wheels. ...and turning around in the snow doesn't require a reverse, just a right foot correctly applied.

owelly - 1/11/11 at 11:00 AM

I could never sell my plastic cars because no sighted person would want them. I suppose with bonfire night coming up, there may be a market for them...

Dopdog - 1/11/11 at 12:45 PM

i agree with the last post, the money has been spent cars in the garage. dont sell it just to raise some cash find another way once you have sold it money gone no more cars

tomgregory2000 - 1/11/11 at 12:56 PM

i sold mine so i could start on a new project.

i enjoy the building prob more than the driving

02GF74 - 1/11/11 at 01:43 PM

looking to sell up for multiple reasons, not necessary in this order.

+ recently got enthusiasms for MTBing again so that takes a lot of my time, most of it is hunting the web for lightweight parts. (I have probably bought more bikes this year than I have had baths! note - I shower at work and at the gym/swimming pool in case you are wondeirng what the smell is - not me!)
+ looking for a more practical 2 seater (MR2,vx220,boxster,911) that has a roof, my kit hasn't - kit needs to go so I can garage it.
+ got some prob with engine a bit despondant since I forked out a lot to redo the head I blew up plus a shed load of cash to fit the biggest alloy radiator ever
+ it is not comfy & nowhere to go - living where I do, M25 J17 - the only direction to hit the quiet lanes is NW ... and done most of those.

richard - 1/11/11 at 06:29 PM

cant ever see myself selling mine, took agaes to build and feels like part of me.
i even felt lost when i was gone from the garage a couple of years ago when build partner had it at his or when i could not drive it when wanted for a few weeks.
use it all year round which really kicked in when joined skcc done loads more miles since then really does ring true about joining a good club to use it to the most and feel for others that do not get to do this.
meet loads of people through them.
my other half keeps me on a tight leash, and maybe this is the reason these cars do not get used much.
Yes i have the hankering to build something else, but would only do that whilst i had the other one to use and at present have been luckly enough to be able to do most of another build for someone else at their cost, so i get the thrill of the build and hopefully experience using it when finished.
Richard.

cs3tcr - 1/11/11 at 07:41 PM

Selling mine due to no money, the fact that i havent driven it in 4 months, costs too much to insure and the roads in town are absolute crap. That and i dont really have garage space anymore. If anyones interested, its listed here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130593797817&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649< br />
[Edited on 1/11/11 by cs3tcr]

big_wasa - 1/11/11 at 07:49 PM

Its the one reason I havnt rushed to iva mine as its worthless with out and safe in the garage because of this.

It also means I cant start anything fresh.

I still keep spending money on it though.

Ive just bought new alloys and ruber for it tonight, I hope they fit !!