Board logo

Which engine block paint?
blockhead_rich - 5/2/11 at 08:21 PM

Hi folks

I've just had to take my engine out again today due to a gear box problem and I've noticed that my newly painted engine has already started to rust and the paint is also flaking off!!

The paint I used was HYCOTE VHT > won't be using that again!!

So who can recommend an engine block paint that lasts? Ideally I'm after a blue gloss finish. On my previous engine I used the Sperex VHT paint which was a bit better but that had a matt finish.

Also I don't want to strip the engine block down again so it would be easier if it can be applied by brush.

So you recommendations would be most welcome, oh and where is the cheapest place to buy it?

Rich

rusty nuts - 5/2/11 at 08:32 PM

Some car accesory shops sell engine laquer in various colours , sorry can't remember the make , could be Holts?

T66 - 5/2/11 at 08:55 PM

degreased, primed, and smoothrite....

with a lacquer to finish.

MakeEverything - 5/2/11 at 08:56 PM

VHT needs a perfectly clean surface to last. Im expecting mine to come off!!

big_wasa - 5/2/11 at 11:11 PM

I used foliatec caliper laquer. Its a 2part epoxy mastic style of paint. Once its on its on.

halfords are clearing out most colours other than red. You can resurve on line and save a tenner. Ive just bought another kit tonight to do my roll bar.

Its only a little tin but its plenty for a block.

Confused but excited. - 6/2/11 at 10:51 AM

My eldest son's mate, who rebuilds engines on a commercial basis (ie; will not deal with the public) uses domestic radiator paint.

prawnabie - 6/2/11 at 11:36 AM

I always use and enamel paint

atomic - 7/2/11 at 02:20 PM

POR-15 Engine Enamel is very good. You can use a brush but you get a far superior finish spraying. The POR-20 is also very good for a raw aluminium look finish. You can get them as part of a complete kit which has everything you need for example, cleaner/degreaser, primer, gloves etc.
To get a very good finish you need to put the time in on the prep work and using the POR Prep & Ready will greatly improve corrosion resistance and any steel/iron parts/block.