Board logo

Rover V8 - WTF is this? it came out with the Oil today!
wilkingj - 19/4/11 at 09:03 PM

OK all you RV8 types... WTF is this?
I did an oil change and this was in the bottom of the bowl when I poured it into the waste tub.

Now ... It wasnt in the bowl before I started, and must have come out when I drained the oil.
Its not chewed, banged, knocked, or marked and is in like new condition.
ie its not dropped out whilst the engine was running, or has been flung around inside.

It looks like a small spacer, or locating spigot. I have looked theu the RV8 parts manual, and cant see anything like it in the book.

So can anyone identify it for me.
I even wonder if it was in one of the oil jugs I emptied into the engine, and has just came out with the used oil.

Beats me... What does the team think?

EDIT:
Its 9mm diameter, and 5mm high. and approx 1mm wall thickness.

[img] odd part in RV8 engine
odd part in RV8 engine
[/img]

[Edited on 19/4/2011 by wilkingj]

Daddylonglegs - 19/4/11 at 09:20 PM

Didn't someone on here recently lose a wedding ring?

It certainly looks like a spacer of some sort, can't be any more help than that though.

Simon - 19/4/11 at 09:22 PM

So, that's where it went

Dont know, but it does look very much like a crank spigot bush. Should be on the outside though, are you sure it wasn't in the recepticle already!

ATB

Simon

deltron63 - 19/4/11 at 09:30 PM

Defo looks like a spigot bush.
Land Rover Defender 200 spigot bearing bush LFB500050 | eBay UK

[Edited on 19/4/11 by deltron63]

need4speed - 19/4/11 at 10:12 PM

Far too small for a spigot bush (defender one anyway)

Sorry cany help on what it is.

jollygreengiant - 19/4/11 at 10:18 PM

locating collar between head and block, or spigot between distributor and oil pump.

Agriv8 - 20/4/11 at 07:05 AM

My guess is the colar that goes "arround" the slotted bit that connects to the oil pump on the bottom of the dizzie

Have not got one to measure but shown here but maybe a bit small at 9mm

possibly colar for locting head or timming / cover but suspect a bevel for that to help locate.

regards

Agriv8

02GF74 - 20/4/11 at 09:17 AM

can't be spigot bush - too small plus it wold not be posible for it to end up in the oil system.

looks like it could be part of a brass valve guide - but how could it have come apart with the valve still in place????

it's a mystery for sure.

Irony - 20/4/11 at 10:33 AM

I have recently rebuilt my short engine and I can't think what it could be.

Bluemoon - 20/4/11 at 11:15 AM

Are you sure it could fit though the sump oil drain hole??

omega 24 v6 - 20/4/11 at 11:34 AM

What he^^ said. Even if it did fit through the hole it'd need a hell of a flow of oil to wash it out unless it was already at the hole area.