Board logo

Catalytic core material
Blacktop - 17/8/11 at 01:20 PM

Does anyone know if you can buy the emission reducing material found inside of a CAT on it's own?

Also is it a rigid material or can it be rolled/re-shaped to a different size?

cliftyhanger - 17/8/11 at 01:33 PM

It is a rigid foamy type of thing. Platinum is coated over it, and it may not travel well unprotected.
There are a few places who produce motorsport catalysts, must be a better idea than trying to make one?

britishtrident - 17/8/11 at 01:53 PM

It is a rigid very hard brittle ceramic honeycomb with a very fine surface coating with particles of the catalytic material.

Mr Whippy - 17/8/11 at 02:00 PM

looking at some of the ones I have bought, there are types that appear to be made from a wound corrogated sheet rather than the orginal solid blocks. Not that I have dismantled one before but it did look like it was a flexable material. If you are tight for space some are quite small like my Zafira's that is only about 4 inch's in diameter.

This is the kind of core I have seen, to me this is made of sheet material -

[Edited on 17/8/11 by Mr Whippy]

MikeRJ - 17/8/11 at 04:33 PM

My MR2 had a big spiral sheet of corrugated "stuff". However, it wasn't very flexible, bending it would snap it.

coyoteboy - 17/8/11 at 04:37 PM

You'll probably find they're hot formed.

The one in my 3sgte was/is a solid honeycomb. No idea what the one in the renault was but it got rattled about and spat out fairly quickly in normal use, so I'd say cheese.

atomic - 18/8/11 at 12:11 PM

There are basically two types. The one used by most oem's is a Ceramic type, which is easily damaged but relatively cheap to manufacture and the second much more durable but more expensive type is the metal substrate, used in high performance/motorsport applications. This one comes in several densities.

I purchase my blanks from Blackthorn. You can find more info regarding the different substrates on their website
http://www.blackthorn.eu.com/html/catalytic-converters-substrates.aspx

[Edited on 18/8/11 by atomic]