Board logo

type 9 speedo cable turns per turn of prop?
blakep82 - 21/2/12 at 01:05 AM

anyone know?
how many times does the speedo cable output on a type 9 gearbox turn per turn of the prop shaft?
i'd guess 1:1, but shouldn't assume!

thanks in advance!

woolly - 21/2/12 at 01:13 AM

depends on the gear inside the box that the cable connects to

blakep82 - 21/2/12 at 01:24 AM

ooh, aren't they all generally the same?
thought they'd all be the same ratio?

snapper - 21/2/12 at 06:57 AM

Little gear that drives the cable is used by fords to get the correct output for different diff ratios and tyre sizes

britishtrident - 21/2/12 at 07:40 AM

The Ford blue drive speedo gear often found in type 9 boxes has a ratio of 27:7 ie 27 turns of the propshaft to 7 turns of the cable.

Fords speedo are calibrated for 1000 turns per mile.
Smiths speedos have the turns per mile in a tiny font right at the bottom of the clock face ---- usuallly a number betweeen 800 and 1500 .

Chippy - 21/2/12 at 04:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The Ford blue drive speedo gear often found in type 9 boxes has a ratio of 27:7 ie 27 turns of the propshaft to 7 turns of the cable.

I thought that there were differing gear ratios, I seem to recall that there are three, (at least), diferent gears you can get to fit the T9 box. Cheers Ray

britishtrident - 21/2/12 at 07:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

I thought that there were differing gear ratios, I seem to recall that there are three, (at least), diferent gears you can get to fit the T9 box. Cheers Ray
F

At one time there was a Ford Capri owners website that gave the info and part numbers for at least 3 different ratios but I can no longer find it I know blue ratio works with out at 1000 turns per mile the 3.89 and tyres they same rolling radius as 185/70x13