Board logo

Type N gearbox??
emwmarine - 10/1/16 at 03:09 PM

I'm fitting a type 9 sierra gearbox along with a zetec in to my Dax Rush.

However a few years ago I bought what I was told was a type N gearbox from a P100. This visually looks identical to my type 9 gearbox.

Is it worth getting it reconditioned as a spare or are the internals completely different?

Brook_lands - 10/1/16 at 03:48 PM

As far as I know the Type 9 is sometimes referred to as the Type N however not all Type 9s are the same and do vary slightly depending on what application they have come from. These difference may not be obvious at first glance. Most people are aware that there is a difference between boxes attached to 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines but there are other differences as well.

snapper - 10/1/16 at 04:07 PM

P100 variant has very low ratios not worth using

Brook_lands - 10/1/16 at 04:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
P100 variant has very low ratios not worth using

First 2 gears are lower than the "car" variant, 3rd is roughly the same and 4th and 5th are the same at 1:1 and 0.82:1 so as Snapper says you'd end up with effectively a 4 speed box with 1st being probably too low for anything and 2nd being a bit high for a 1st gear. Your 0 - 10 mph time might be quite impressive though!

rusty nuts - 10/1/16 at 06:24 PM

It has the long first motion shaft along with totally unsuitable ratios

Paul Turner - 11/1/16 at 09:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
It has the long first motion shaft along with totally unsuitable ratios

Many of these boxes have been passed of as V6 ones to unsuspecting customers on e-bay (and other places) simply because the buyer sees long input shaft and assumes its OK.

If cheap enough they are fine to use a a doner box when building a close ratio one.