Board logo

Diesel engine gearbox
lukefab - 24/3/08 at 10:59 PM

Hi all,
Short and sweet question.
Will the ford type 9 gearbox fit a Sierra diesel engine without too many problems?

Thanks

Keith

blakep82 - 24/3/08 at 11:08 PM

sierra diesel clutch plate is used to mount to a a vauxhall engine.... so i assume so with the right bellhousing

ooh, i think it might just be one particular engine size though

[Edited on 24/3/08 by blakep82]

bigrich - 24/3/08 at 11:10 PM

1.8td sierra had a type9 as standard (long input shaft version). so yes it can

Chippy - 24/3/08 at 11:26 PM

Only type 9's that will fit diesel engines, are the ones that come from the deisels, and the V6 box, as you need the extended shaft. Ray

Doh! must learn to type faster.

[Edited on 24-3-08 by Chippy]

lukefab - 25/3/08 at 06:41 AM

Thanks for the answers, I thought there was a difference, but didn't know what it was.

Thanks again for your help.

Keith

MKMike - 25/3/08 at 04:01 PM

I'm using a type-9 of a 1.8td sierra for a zetec, it seems to fit (eventhough I haven#

Is the shaft length ok for this?

rusty nuts - 25/3/08 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MKMike
I'm using a type-9 of a 1.8td sierra for a zetec, it seems to fit (eventhough I haven#

Is the shaft length ok for this?

First gear may be very low. Petrol type 9s have a low enough first.

snapper - 25/3/08 at 09:11 PM

Not much information on the diesel type 9 but from what i can gather they can cope with 155 ft/lbs of torque 145 bhp the V6 box a little more.
The ratios as far as i can tell on the diesel derivative has a very low first about 3.9 to 1 first, standard ratios 2nd 3rd 4th and a long 0.8 5th gear.
It also has the longer input shaft so if fitting to the Pinto or Zetec needs the Caterham spacer between box and bellhousing.
It is one of the least ideal ratios available in type 9 format, unless you are running a 3.38 or 3.14 diff or cartwheels then 1st will be next to useless, if you use the 3.38 or 3.14 diff with an engine with a 7000 red line or less then 5th and even 4th will be way to long.

NS Dev - 25/3/08 at 11:07 PM

........and another fact for the pop pickers, though i've never seen it said by anybody other than me on here, is that the sierra 2.3 diesel box had bigger and stronger cast bronze selector forks. I have had both types side by side and the ones from the diesel box are considerably bigger.

unfortunately I gave them to a mate for his tran-x box in his rally car as his need was greater so have no photos!

MKMike - 26/3/08 at 11:33 AM

I have the Zetec and the gearbox bolted together at the moment (temporary for making engine mounts etc. with no spiggot bearing) and it seems to fit just fine without spacers or clutch.

will there be a problem when I fit the bearing and the clutch?