Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why scrappage was wrong
zilspeed

posted on 15/3/11 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
The scrappy next to where I was living had the right idea. He took the money the government were paying him to dismantle the cars properly but instead, stripped the ID off them and sold them to blokes that came in the middle of the night with huge car transporters and took them over to eastern Europe. Recycling!

Nothing like that happened up here.

At all.

Ever.

No way, it just didn't happen, right ?

That's my last word on the subject.

NS Dev

posted on 15/3/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
certainly looks like some good scope for reshells in there.............

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

speedyxjs

posted on 15/3/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
All those Jags! Im going to go have a little cry now

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

02GF74

posted on 16/3/11 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
But as ever there is usually a silver lining...

Imagine all these airfields full of everyday cars. All now off the road for ever. All have to be scrapped. We all know the most environmentally friendly way of disposing of these cars is to recycle. So perhaps the government could set up their own Ebay type auction to sell off car parts. This would have many benefits. It would keep OUR cars on the road. The money generated would go back into public coffers, so our taxes would reduce. It would set up a competitive alternative to Ebay, which would bring them down a peg or two. Maybe even get them to reduce their fees. And it would keep the scrap from being just scrapped.

You what? Remember who you are talking about here, the government .... when has common sense featured on the agenda?

Jasper

posted on 16/3/11 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
A guy I met recently owns a few local car dealerships - he made a fortune during the scheme and it all went straight in his and the foreign car makers pocket - so how did that benefit our economy

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

hillbillyracer

posted on 16/3/11 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
So in a similar idea as balidey, as well as selling parts, why not pick the choice stuff out that's worth a few quid & sell the complete cars? You'd only be talking about 10% or less I'd think as there'll be a lot of run of the mill stuff but it'd likely be worth as much as the rest would weigh in for!
There's little argument for saying that it would put these old polluting dangerous cars back on the road as they'd be the kind of motor that does little mileage & as enthusiast owned would be well enough maintained.
It'd bring money in when they're making (right or wrong) cuts that are hurting a lot of folk.

As already said though, this is the goverment we're talking about!!

I do think some of the owners needed a slap for falling for it though!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.