Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone gone small with a supercharger?
mark chandler

posted on 25/7/11 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Here's my graph, sticking a turbo straight on to a 919 blade engine, no mods to the engine itself beyond lockup clutch running 7psi.

These are £400 - £500 motors.

The induction includes EFI and a spent a bit of time making the manifolds etc out of scrap.

coyoteboy

posted on 25/7/11 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Those are nice curves Mark (ooh err!) - do you mind if I ask how long that engine/box has lasted so far? What's the lockup clutch for and what sort of price?
mark chandler

posted on 25/7/11 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Current engine 4 track days, on the rolling road it made no nasty noises ands seems as good as gold, bit smokey on the overrun but it is 14 years old.

Previous engine was a £350 bay special, unknown to me the previous owner had frost cracked the block and glued up still I get a complete spare set of everything.

Clutch started out with big springs, once I crept above ~180bhp it started to slip so had a lockup made by pyscle worxs www.psycleworkz.com which cost me £400 as it was the first one he did for these engines, £155 now although you will need a spacer for the cover so talk to anywide7.

Latest extras are oil cooler and acusump, although I do change the oil for every outing, halfords semi syn.

Regards Mark

Bare

posted on 26/7/11 at 02:12 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting Curve indeed.
A well engineered & executed boost/power curve shows TQ output at equal to or even slightly more than Hp .
Yours is at 1/2... Somethings apparently not even near to the potential.
But as you say, it IS a Cheap setup :-) Tough to complain at beer pricings

Bare

posted on 26/7/11 at 02:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep

Regardless of what you think the TD04 has been used succesfully many times on bike engines although it is usually 1000cc plus engines.

One of the nice benefits is that compressor and turbine housings and CHRA be orientated to any position to aid packaging.

Davie

Hey! Compressor maps Don't Lie .. All one has to do is read them.

Everyone is entitled to their own view of the world.. it's what makes it interesting :-)

mark chandler

posted on 26/7/11 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Its only a 900cc engine, bike engines have a lot less torque than car engines of twice the CC's of 2litre engines, I guess torque is related to the leverage on the crank so 1/2 the throw = half the torque in this instance ?

That aside, no decomp plate and no nasty noises @ 7psi, I could increase this but suspect a collection of broken parts would follow.

SausageArm

posted on 26/7/11 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
You cant knock those power/torque figures Mark, impressive considering it's a simple bolt on and run setup, how does she feel to drive?
MikeRJ

posted on 27/7/11 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
A well engineered & executed boost/power curve shows TQ output at equal to or even slightly more than Hp .

Sorry to be blunt, but this is rubbish. You do realise that bike engines rev far higher than car engines, and that power is a function of torque and RPM? How would you propose to get 200+lbft and 200bhp out of a 900cc engine on standard internals? Who defined this arbitrary rule that peak torque must be equal or greater than the peak power?

daviep

posted on 27/7/11 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by daviep

Regardless of what you think the TD04 has been used succesfully many times on bike engines although it is usually 1000cc plus engines.

One of the nice benefits is that compressor and turbine housings and CHRA be orientated to any position to aid packaging.

Davie

Hey! Compressor maps Don't Lie .. All one has to do is read them.

Everyone is entitled to their own view of the world.. it's what makes it interesting :-)

That is very true, but a compressor map on it's own tells you nothing useful, you also need all the relevant details of the engine to be able to work out the air demand.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

phelpsa

posted on 27/7/11 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Only if torque dies off dramatically past about 5500rpm.... these are bike engines that will rev to 12k+.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.