<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MNR Cad Model
rost

posted on 31/10/12 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
Good thing that contraption is "Screen Only"
The tube triangulation at the thing's front is sloppy/ foolish as it the top of the engine bay to upper dash hoop which in itself is in the wrong place to be useful structurally.
IF this is a model of some crap Kit Kar then the makers are Amateurs who really shouldn't be designing chassis.
Harsh? perhaps.. but this is real life and there are some serious precedents to copy.. if unknowing of the craft.
Caveat Emptor applies.. as always.

Dude....

Charlie don't surf!

big_l

posted on 31/10/12 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Tbh this thread is useless unless you know every inch of a Mnr chasis and also factor in engine is used for strength !

A lot if people know everything on the Internet if they were that good why arn't they doing it for a living ??

Not aimed at anyone but just need to take it with a pinch of salt !!

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

phelpsa

posted on 31/10/12 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
Good thing that contraption is "Screen Only"
The tube triangulation at the thing's front is sloppy/ foolish as it the top of the engine bay to upper dash hoop which in itself is in the wrong place to be useful structurally.
IF this is a model of some crap Kit Kar then the makers are Amateurs who really shouldn't be designing chassis.
Harsh? perhaps.. but this is real life and there are some serious precedents to copy.. if unknowing of the craft.
Caveat Emptor applies.. as always.

As with any form of engineering, it is all a compromise. Any fool can come on the internet and say it should be done differently without knowing the reasoning behind the compromises finally accepted.

Just wait until you see the rod ends in bending

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marc n

posted on 31/10/12 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Good thing that contraption is "Screen Only" The tube triangulation at the thing's front is sloppy/ foolish as it the top of the engine bay to upper dash hoop which in itself is in the wrong place to be useful structurally. IF this is a model of some crap Kit Kar then the makers are Amateurs who really shouldn't be designing chassis. Harsh? perhaps.. but this is real life and there are some serious precedents to copy.. if unknowing of the craft. Caveat Emptor applies.. as always.

an interesting excersise, but as already mentioned that frame isnt complete, there are quite a few tubes missing footwell diagonals tunnel bars rear suspension braces etc, as are all the gusset plates that are on a complete chassis i.e the steering rack which also braces the front end is missing, also the steel tunnel, the steering column mounts cage mount gussets etc etc, the engine (used as a stressed member ) is not in position with any of its mountings / tubes. i could carry on but the upshot is the screenshot represents a 75% complete chassis irrelavent of which cage / doorbars are fitted so if those where taken into account its about 60% complete !!

quote:

Just wait until you see the rod ends in bending

a compromise admittadley but thats why they are all specced bigger than necessary if used in thier normal orientation i would be running 3/8ths all round

cheers
marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ffrgtm

posted on 1/12/12 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_l
Tbh this thread is useless unless you know every inch of a Mnr chasis and also factor in engine is used for strength !

A lot if people know everything on the Internet if they were that good why arn't they doing it for a living ??

Not aimed at anyone but just need to take it with a pinch of salt !!

Oh don't worry I'm right there with you, FEA results in solidworks are generally garbage anyways. That's why you do "validation" afterwards. The one thing this method will allow you to do, is test different ideas and get real time feedback. The number won't match up, but the trends generally will.

That said it's been very difficult to model the areas where two sets of tubes are bent and have their contacting radii seam welded. Meshing was a nightmare. I still have difficulty imagining the reason that the chassis is done in this way... bending tubes and trying to make them line up like this is usually much harder than the vastly more common, and most likely structurally superior method of joining members at a single node with a single member bisecting another.

Marc, I'm sorry I don't have any good feedback for you yet... two engineering majors and an fsae car have put the MNR on the backburner

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.