Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anybody work in freight / warehouse industry?
DarrenW

posted on 20/5/09 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Anybody work in freight / warehouse industry?

Couple of reasons i ask.

1. Im interested to know if there are any UK trade shows on this year. I know the CV show at NEC was cancelled. Any others?

2. Im about to sign up a contract to assist a software company. They have developed a fantastic software package for the freight and warehouse industry. Im interested to know how many companies currently use good software packages to manage their business as opposed to the more usual whiteboards, job cards, one person with it all in his/her head approach.

Main reason to ask is to get head around good marketing opportunities and see if there are any fellow LCBers that could benefit from better software.

Thanks in advance,
Darren.

MikeR

posted on 20/5/09 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
mate used to work for a company that did mobile phone / PDA based solutions for companies. Freight was idea, integrated job delivery with sat nav.

if its not along those lines i'd be curious what its sellings points are. The issue they had was the industry was 'mature' and so got into things like smaller organisations with a similar model - eg appliance servicing (go to site, do something, record something to say you've done it, go to next site).

DarrenW

posted on 20/5/09 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Im confident that this package is fully featured and extremely user friendly so no worries on that score. It also communicates with vehicle tracking systems, barcoding systems, smart pens and can even assist with detailed fleet management etc etc etc. Im purposefully going to keep this thread away from a sales pitch and sales methods type though. Just interested to know about any upcoming shows this year and how people currently operate in the business.

I have never classed myself as a salesperson in the steroetypically sense, coming from a technical background i rather like to understand what peoples problems are and try to find a way to offer a good, robust, sensible solution. It has been suggested to me that the business is still operated largely on manual systems or using software that is either unbelievably complex and expensive or just doesnt do everything that it could. Im interested to understand the reality.

MikeR

posted on 20/5/09 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
I think that's called technical sales .... ie you listen and advise hoping to get the sale as opposed to ignore customers requirements and sell at all costs

good luck.

(we write our own in house solution and bolt on bits from companies like symbol - unfortunately i don't develop in that area so can't offer much help)

skibum

posted on 20/5/09 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Hi There

The CV show is the biggest and main show for the industry, there are a couple of other shows for the waste side of the industry that i think are still on.

There are a few main software packages out there that some of the big boys and the rental companies use if you need any more info give me a shout.

Have a list of the top 100 transport compnaies if its any use?

Cheers

Matt

balidey

posted on 20/5/09 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I'm in the freight industry. This type of thing already exists (If I understand you right). One company I have dealt with that sell it is called OEM, link here:

http://www.secureseal.com/

And I know of a couple of other hauliers that use different similar items. Its logistics software.

Then you get up to the BIG BOYS, the likes of Tesco and Sainsbury who have their own bespoke logistics software written for them

skibum

posted on 20/5/09 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Probably should have mentioned that I worked in the fleet management side of the industry both for manufacturers and rentals companies up untill recently.

If i can be of any help give me a shout

Matt

skibum

posted on 20/5/09 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
I'm in the freight industry. This type of thing already exists (If I understand you right). One company I have dealt with that sell it is called OEM, link here:

http://www.secureseal.com/

And I know of a couple of other hauliers that use different similar items. Its logistics software.

Then you get up to the BIG BOYS, the likes of Tesco and Sainsbury who have their own bespoke logistics software written for them

You would be suprised at some of the packages the big boys use, Sainsbury's was one of my customers and they didn't have fleet management software at the time, same goes for alot of the other blue chips.

DarrenW

posted on 20/5/09 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
This is what ive been led to believe. A lot of companies have some sort of system but rarely a one that does everything, or even part of it particularly well. Ive also heard stories of some of the better software companies tying the customer into needing there support to change anything - obviously at a cost.
Of course im just going off what ive heard rather than what i have seen so time will tell.

The costs ive heard mentioned will probs put off some of the small and medium sized players too. I believe the system im looking at offers a good balance between cost and functionality. if i was a customer id buy it, so i guess thats a good start.

It was the fleet management part that i quite liked the look of. I bet its a nightmare for UK based European distributors to have a vehicle come back into the depot and have its departure delayed whilst awaiting parts or inspections instead of everything being arranged in advance. Its certainly been an issue for one company ive spoken to.

DarrenW

posted on 20/5/09 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Secureseal looks like a system that this software could liaise with, but isnt the same type of system. What im talking about is a full management package to control freight, fleets, warehousing, sequenced deliveries, barcoding, POD's, invoicing, driver communication, vehicle tracking, route planning, quotations etc etc. Too much to summarise in this thread.

Im really just trying to find out who the main competition is (hence if you work for a freight company - what software package do you use) and ideas for what shows are coming up for possible marketing opportunities.

Where im coming from is that if i arrange myself some appointments its always good if the comany has heard of the software before and if they then tell me they are using EZFreight (or whatever the packages are called) etc i have an idea what it is.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.