Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mobile broadband dongle thingy ??
Andybarbet

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
mobile broadband dongle thingy ??

Orange are now doing a dongle for your laptop for £5 a month as an existing orange customer, it says 500 MB per month, as a computer numpty, is this going to be enough for me ? i wont be downloading music or films, purely going on ebay, amazon, locost, google etc.

It would be handy to use the odd lunchtime at work and whilst camping etc, we still have home access so was just wondering what people think ?

Also, is anyone else using one of these and does it work ok ? are there any signal issues ? we wont be going anywhere too remote with it.

Regards Andy

Surrey Dave

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Vodafone PAYG

Hi,

Have one of the above its really economical ,have only used £30 since xmas.

£15 per 1gb lasts ages with normal use.

jos

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got Tmobiles 1 gig per month £15 per month broadband dongle.

Very happy so far and got no where near to 500meg per month as i dont download music or dvds either

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

Andybarbet

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
just looked on oranges data calculator and it says 1 hours web browsing is 20 MB, does this sound about right ? if so then i get about 2 1/2 hours looking at ebay/locostbuilders per month ?
maximill666

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have an o2 PAYG mobile broadband dongle which cost £30 to buy & i pay for 3GB a month for £15

It Gets used a lot every day for surfing and I still dont use all the 3GB each month.

handyandy

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
i,ve JUST got one of those dongle things last friday, i,m on 3G pay as you go, £10 per month gives me 1GB which i,m sure i,ll never reach upto so its good enough for me,
been out & about & had no signal probs at all,
wish i,d got a laptop sooner.

andy

matt_claydon

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet
just looked on oranges data calculator and it says 1 hours web browsing is 20 MB, does this sound about right ? if so then i get about 2 1/2 hours looking at ebay/locostbuilders per month ?

25 hours

Wadders

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how you worked that out Andy, i make it 25 hours per month at 20mb per hour.

Al.

Originally posted by Andybarbet

Andybarbet

posted on 11/8/09 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, you got me, my maths is clearly rubbish this week - must be my brain shut down as ive got the week off work.

25 hours is way over what im likely to use so i think we might go for it, £5 per month is affordable to get us out of trouble here and there when we need it.

Mr G

posted on 11/8/09 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
HandyAndy don't use the sim that came with the dongle, use a normal 3 payg sim.

Top up with £10 (credit on 3 never expires) and you'll get 150mb of broadband internet allowance free (plus the other txts/free 3 to 3/skype etc). Use that up and then convert £5 credit into the monthly internet add-on. Then when that month runs out convert the other £5. top gain etc etc

The sims that come with the 3 dongle are locked to mobile broadband packages and don't allow you to buy the other add-ons online.

They don't tell you about being able to use the normal sims and the internet add ons!

The monthly internet add-ons are fair use (supposed to be 1gb per month but people have hammered them well over that)

I picked up of the free 3 dongle (only had to pay postage) HERE - the site is screwed at the mo though, won't register properly.

You can get flash and unlock the dongle so you can use any other provider with it. The main reason to do this is to use o2 iphone sims. Once topped up with £10 credit they give free internet access for a YEAR. No need to top keep topping up again!

Problem is they are supposed to be only used in iphones and o2 can tell if they are being used in one or not.

some people have hammered them for a year and not been cut off, others have recieved a warning txt then bewen disconnected

O2 Iphone sim ebay

Anyway I'd highly recommend the 3 dongle and 3's £5 per month internet add-on. Hav'nt had any bad problems with coverage either!

[Edited on 11/8/09 by Mr G]

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

lexus

posted on 11/8/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Or do what I did. Bought a Vodaphone dongle for £30 -1 gig that doesnt expire until used . No ongoing monthly obligation, so you can try that and see how it goes. I used it on a trip round the North and West of Scotland. Only used it when I couldn't access any other BBand. Thought it was great, and still have masses of the gig left!
mad4x4

posted on 11/8/09 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
500 Gb is about 100 songs from Itunes

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Mr G

posted on 11/8/09 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
500 Gb is about 100 songs from Itunes

Won't fit many tunes on an 8gb ipod then

Andybarbet

posted on 12/8/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
So im not the only one this week having trouble with me maths

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.