Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: World War 3??
Slater

posted on 6/1/10 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
World War 3??

With the current "War on Terror" or whatever you want to call it and so many countries being involved, why isn't it being refered to as World War 3?

Below is a list of coalition countries involved with troop numbers (c/o the internet)

Coalition:
United States - 26,215
United Kingdom - 9,100
Germany - 3,465
Canada - 2,830
France - 3,300 Italy - 2,850
Poland - 2,000
Netherlands - 1,770
Turkey - 1,300
Australia - 1,090
Romania - 860
Bulgaria - 820
Spain - 780
Denmark - 750
Czech Republic - 580
Norway - 598
Belgium - 650
Hungary - 370
Sweden - 290
Croatia - 280
Slovakia - 230
Lithuania - 200
Macedonia - 170
Latvia - 160
New Zealand - 150
Albania - 140
Estonia - 289
Greece - 140
Finland - 110
Azerbaijan - 90
Slovenia - 70
Portugal - 180
United Arab Emirates - 25
Singapore - 20
Ukraine - 10
Luxembourg - 9
Iceland - 8
Ireland - 7
Jordan - 7
Austria - 2
Bosnia and Herzegovina - 2
Georgia - 100
Philippines - 336 troops

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Bluemoon

posted on 6/1/10 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Nowere near the numbers in WW 1 or 2.. To put this in context there are more people in attendance at Glastonbury Festival..

Dan

[Edited on 6/1/10 by Bluemoon]

blakep82

posted on 6/1/10 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
no, nowhere near the numbers, but more countries involved surely? i have no idea how many countries were involve in the first 2

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

A1

posted on 6/1/10 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
I always do refer to it as ww3.
scootz

posted on 6/1/10 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Not for me... a World War conjures up thoughts of conscription, etc.

Was reading the other night about The Battle of The Somme... in total, over 300,000 men died (all sides) in just over 4 months of fighting.

Statistics show that 2 British soldiers died for every centimeter of land taken!

It's Evolution Baby!

Bluemoon

posted on 6/1/10 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Scootz on this.. Technically you might be correct but, it's not ww 3, that's something I hope never to see, or the world experience. The next world war is going to be truly nasty if it was to ever happen.

Dan

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/1/10 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
bring back the Thunderdome

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 6/1/10 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
WW3 will be America versus Islam. We, being gullible fools, will be dragged in with the Americans. The current terror thing is no more a war than the troubles in NI. It could escalate into one though. All it would take is for a country to side with the terrorists and you have a bona fide war. Once one middle east country becomes involved in a war where defence of Islam is cited, others will follow. Each time a western country is attacked by such an alliance, more western countries will join "the war", us being part of NATO mean that once one joins, we all do, and before long you will have a world war.

We're a fair way from this and there are enough sensible people in governments around the world to stop it getting that far. I can't promise though.

Should WW3 start, I'm prepared to bet on a marked difference between it and the first two in the UK. More people will rebel against conscription than did before.

thunderace

posted on 6/1/10 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
per head of population we have loads more troops than anyone else.
SO FOR US THEY SHOULD HAVE TO MATCH US 60,000 TROOPS ON THE GROUND .
WHY ? WHY ? IS THE UK DAFT ?

FACTS FROM
EU&q=population+germany#met=sp_pop_totl" target="_blank">http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&met=sp_pop_totl&idim=countryEU&q=population+germany#met=sp_pop_totl

[Edited on 6/1/10 by thunderace]

smart51

posted on 6/1/10 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
IS THE UK DAFT ?

Not the UK as a whole, but then we had no say in the decision.

gottabedone

posted on 6/1/10 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Our government wants to be everybody's friend and thus laways be seen to be doing the right thing and never have the brass ones to upset anyone

Personally, I think that Iran v Iraq will spark off and force other countries to take sides with the weapons that are being developed over there, we are stuffed!
The cold war was amongst other things a war of balance, the Russians had nukes and the americans had nukes. OK it came close at times but neither wanted to use them because of the devasation they would cause.

Unfortunately war is always good for business but at the cost of our boys not coming home? ..........I don't think so..........but then I'm a patriotic english ex-serviceman

D Beddows

posted on 6/1/10 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

WW3 will be America versus Islam

Nah, if that was going to happen it would have already - there being so many different factions in the muslim world means they could never agree on how to arrange a p*ss up in a brewery (ok bad example but... ) never mind take over the world....... No, the thing the world has to worry about is America starting to think the Chinese are getting far too big for their boots...... and China not being any kind of democracy means they are pretty organised......

scudderfish

posted on 6/1/10 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
I always think of it as The War Against Terror. Much more appropriate acronym.

You can't have a war against a concept. The only effective solution for terrorism is not to be terrorised by it. The further we go down the route of cavity searches at airports, the tighter the grip the governments have over the psyche of their own people.

Don't be scared of Terrorist Bogeyman du Jour, be scared of who is attempting to manipulate your emotions.

BenB

posted on 6/1/10 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I hope one of Austria's troops doesn't catch a cold, it would cut their contribution by 50%
StevieB

posted on 6/1/10 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'll think you'll find those numbers are a little spurious anyway - the US has way, way more than 26,000 in Afghanistan alone. UK troops are near on 9-10k in Afhanistan, but both uk and US forces are actively serving in many, many more countries than just those 2.

In fact, it's been the same for more than a hundred years, it's just that the media hypes up and jumps all over these things in this day and age.

PaulBuz

posted on 6/1/10 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
would be very interesting to see the list as a percentage of population.
I have a sneaking suspicion, that we would lead the figures by quite some margin.

ATB
Paul

scootz

posted on 6/1/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
I'll think you'll find those numbers are a little spurious anyway - the US has way, way more than 26,000 in Afghanistan alone.

That's what I was thinking... it was just under 70,000 last time I heard.

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.