Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Airbox to fit under bonnet not through it.
FFTS

posted on 30/4/10 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
R1 Airbox to fit under bonnet not through it.

Has anyone either sourced or made a R1 ramair box that will fit under the standard bonnet with small bulge.

Would like to take of the foam filter but dont want a monster sticking through a hole.

Photos and advise appreciated.

Chris.

dave107

posted on 30/4/10 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Iain B at MNR has, give them a call.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
A1

posted on 30/4/10 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
on my mk ive got k&n filters, these fit fine
Hellfire

posted on 30/4/10 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Assuming that there is no problem with your foam filter, why do you want to replace it with an airbox?

If you replace the filter with an airbox, your engine will need re-jetting/re-mapping to suit and could potentially cost a few ££ for little gain.........

Phil

hobbsy

posted on 30/4/10 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
@hellfire - potentially lower intake temps and better ability to get cold air to it with Naca ducts etc.

You could do a cut n shut to reduce the height of it a bit. I don't know what the clearance is like if your case but that's what I'd need to do to get one under the bonnet of my fury. Also turning it around the other way sometimes helps.

maximill666

posted on 30/4/10 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave107
Iain B at MNR has, give them a call.

Iain has a a Pipercross airbox on his VortX, but unfortunately they wont fit under the bonnet on an early VortX as the body is not as tall

GeorgeM

posted on 30/4/10 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
amalyos made his own to fit under earlier bodywork, - have a look in his archive.
I'm sure he'll show you at Stoneleigh if you are coming. He will be on the MNR area.

GeorgeM

My conscience is clear - I drive a GREEN car
MNR Racing
essexkitcarclub.com

Hellfire

posted on 30/4/10 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
@hellfire - potentially lower intake temps and better ability to get cold air to it with Naca ducts etc.

Yep, I understand all that but what I was getting at, is whether these gains are worth the extra cost of re-jetting/re-mapping.

There's also a benefit in noise reduction but again unless it's for a specific purpose, I'd doubt it's worth the extra cost?

Phil

matt_gsxr

posted on 1/5/10 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know the ins and outs of this. But when I ran on the 9th April at Abingdon. I had an air box and no ducting and megasquirt air temp was 52deg C. With ducting this came down to 21deg C (it was a warm day).

I don't know the exact formula but if it were an "ideal" gas (PV = RT), this would correspond to an air density drop of 10%, (31/293) which is the same drop in power.

In my case I have a complete bonnet with no ducts and the GSXR airbox fits under the bonnet without adaptation.

This doesn't solve your problem, but I think you are going in the right direction.
Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.