Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine mounts
DorsetStrider

posted on 24/5/10 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Engine mounts

Hiya all.

Wasn't sure where to put this (here or engine) but figured here would be better. Appologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything in search.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the rubber engine mounts (the ones with a thread both sides) in a verticle configuration? Rather than in the more normal horizontal.

Thanks in advance.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

speedyxjs

posted on 24/5/10 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Mine are at 45 degrees and i have seen them used verticle a few times so should be fine

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

macc man

posted on 24/5/10 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I have mine verticllay mounted but it does give more vibration through chassis. Ok for track but may be rather tiring for road use.

MikeRJ

posted on 24/5/10 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Rubber mounts stressed in shear or tension typically fail much more quickly. This kind of mount is usually used at an angle in the original application to provide resistance to sideways movement, as well as keeping the rubber mostly under compression. Unless you are suspending something much lighter than an engine you should have a look at the engine mounting systems used on modern cars where the engine is often "hung" rather than sat on the mounts.

You also need to consider what will happen if one does fail, with an angled or horizontal mounting the engine is prevented from falling onto the ground!

[Edited on 24/5/10 by MikeRJ]

alexg1965

posted on 24/5/10 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've never had vertical engine mounts but did have one supporting my silencer. After a couple sheared off, I moved to horizontal.

Originally I had horizontal engine mounts but this provided little resistance to engine movement under heavy cornering so I got some new mounts made at 45 degrees and it's now rock solid. Torque Technique in Salisbury made them (he's also a dab hand with exhausts as well but not cheap). Seeing as I'm not far away, you could always come and see mine if you need inspiration.

Cheers Alex

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.