Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where can i get my Sierra LSD uprated
PuppiesBalls

posted on 3/6/10 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Where can i get my Sierra LSD uprated

Good afternoon guys,
I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to have my diff re-built.

I spoke to Bara Motorsport & im they said for about 300 pounds they could 'pump up' the diff & renew it which would make it about 3-4 hundred percent better than it is at the moment!

I was wondering if anybody had any experience in doing this?

I am planning to put around 300+ hp through it, but i cant afford to go upto a Quaife job.

Can anybody reccomend where i could have the diff uprated ideally abit more local to me than Bara as there around a 2 hour drive away or god knows how much if i had it posted!!

Thanks in advance!

p.s , I'm in camberley / surrey

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 3/6/10 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
diff posted 10 quid each way parcel2go
Put in heavy black bag after draining oil
then wrap in heavy card board and stick in box.
loads of tape and bobs your uncle.

ps 200 is a good price.

[Edited on 3-6-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

CNHSS1

posted on 3/6/10 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Bara take some beating for modding viscous diffs because they do so may ford transmissions for rally and race use. Beraing in mind the weight of the car and grip available, be careful how 'tight' or uprated you spec the VC pack to. To high a viscosity and it will act more like a spool or welded diff, breaking tyre traction before the torque across the axle operates the diff. Too little and its basically a 100,000 miler sierra version lol
what tyres? ordinary roadies, List 1B rubber (R888s, A048Rs etc) or slicks?

VC diffs dont alter or vary in their action. I ran a DOME (dennis Osbourne Motorsport Engineering) 7" VC in my hillclimber and when sliipery on track promoted a tad of initial understeer and then oversteer corner exit, ceratinly more than a std spec Ford rating. In the dry it was very good though, lots more drive out of the corners, but did need the setup of the suspenion playing with to get best out of it once 'pumped' up.
CNH

[Edited on 3/6/10 by CNHSS1]

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 3/6/10 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Try and get a price from gearboxman.com, when I spoke to them they could do absolutly anything.
For £300 I would think about using it as is and getting an ATB unit when you can afford it.
I bought a brand new unused uprated Freelander diff and new ATB, both for £900.
And then didn't use it!
So it's for sale for what I paid.

PuppiesBalls

posted on 3/6/10 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
diff posted 10 quid each way parcel2go
Put in heavy black bag after draining oil
then wrap in heavy card board and stick in box.
loads of tape and bobs your uncle.

ps 200 is a good price.

[Edited on 3-6-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

Cheers dude! may be an option afterall then! what do you mean 200 is a good price? you think that 300 is too high ?

PuppiesBalls

posted on 3/6/10 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1
Bara take some beating for modding viscous diffs because they do so may ford transmissions for rally and race use. Beraing in mind the weight of the car and grip available, be careful how 'tight' or uprated you spec the VC pack to. To high a viscosity and it will act more like a spool or welded diff, breaking tyre traction before the torque across the axle operates the diff. Too little and its basically a 100,000 miler sierra version lol
what tyres? ordinary roadies, List 1B rubber (R888s, A048Rs etc) or slicks?

VC diffs dont alter or vary in their action. I ran a DOME (dennis Osbourne Motorsport Engineering) 7" VC in my hillclimber and when sliipery on track promoted a tad of initial understeer and then oversteer corner exit, ceratinly more than a std spec Ford rating. In the dry it was very good though, lots more drive out of the corners, but did need the setup of the suspenion playing with to get best out of it once 'pumped' up.
CNH

[Edited on 3/6/10 by CNHSS1]

I see, Any idea how much i should get the diff 'pumped' up to?
I havent finished building the car yet but the tyres will be soft R888's or even grippier if i can find any for a reasonable price
Im planning to use it on the track eventually

PuppiesBalls

posted on 3/6/10 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bitsilly
Try and get a price from gearboxman.com, when I spoke to them they could do absolutly anything.
For £300 I would think about using it as is and getting an ATB unit when you can afford it.
I bought a brand new unused uprated Freelander diff and new ATB, both for £900.
And then didn't use it!
So it's for sale for what I paid.

i would love an ATB but there around 750 + VAT which is 3 times the price of having the sierra diff 'pumped' & according to Bara there compairable once pumped

t16turbotone

posted on 3/6/10 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Phill jones racing, pumps the sierra diif up for £230.00!!

http://www.pjed.co.uk/engine_development_differentials.htm

[Edited on 3/6/10 by t16turbotone]

CNHSS1

posted on 3/6/10 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
no, i didnt have a figure for the increase, either as percentage or a a Nm torque figure (thats how Ford rate them as std).

Bit contentious possibly, but for road use a high mileage, well used VC 'setting' may be best anyway. Basically more akin to an open diff than a rip-snorting 'spit you off' track setting. Id run it and if you find that on the road you constantly spin up the inside tyre out of tight turns (unlikley, its more likley to be both anyway), then spend the cash.
In my experience a VC set for the track was compromised on the road really, unless you are entered into the Traffic light Grand Prix 24/7. A softer diff setting is more user friendly the day it rains on roundabouts covered in diesel, so the gains arent worth a huge amount for road use imho. Track is different matter, completely different animal required.
ATB is best of both worlds in my experience, with plate diff ultimately best on track but thats with provisos.

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

turbodisplay

posted on 3/6/10 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Why not get a diff off a car with a torsen lsd?
Some makers fit them as standard.
Granted you will need to change the drive shafts, probally could all be done for £300.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PuppiesBalls

posted on 3/6/10 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay
Why not get a diff off a car with a torsen lsd?
Some makers fit them as standard.
Granted you will need to change the drive shafts, probally could all be done for £300.

Darren

sounds like a serious headache!

jimgiblett

posted on 3/6/10 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldnt it be easier to get a 7.5 cossie diff. It should be easier to make fit (ask Nev Powell for advice)

That said unless you are running monster wide tyres on your stylus I doubt you will get the power down enough to worry a standard 4x4 VC diff.

- Jim

PuppiesBalls

posted on 3/6/10 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
Wouldnt it be easier to get a 7.5 cossie diff. It should be easier to make fit (ask Nev Powell for advice)

That said unless you are running monster wide tyres on your stylus I doubt you will get the power down enough to worry a standard 4x4 VC diff.

- Jim

Ive already got a 7.5" diff , not sure if its a cossie job, I assume it is as its LSD?
I will proberly be running full slicks on the track so i dont want to break the diff, afterall with hp in the mid 300's its going to take a beating.
The diff i have at the moment Im pretty sure is of a 2wd sierra as the rubber boots i brought didnt fit & they were for 4x4 sierra

alistairolsen

posted on 3/6/10 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

- Jim

hes not worried about breaking it, hes worried about how much power it transfers when one wheel loses grip

My Build Thread

CNHSS1

posted on 3/6/10 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
you wont break a 7" diff, they are tough as old boots!
7.5" only has the possible advantage of slightly different CWP ratios (7" only goes to a 3.9 whereas theres a 4.27 in the 7.5) but main diadvantage is the 7.5s mega heavy!
7" came with push in shafts or 100mm and 108mm diameter CVs whereas i think most 7.5s are 108mm.
i run circa 300hp/torques on 10" hillclimb slicks in a 800kg car and use the lightest push in shafts and havent come close to breaking anything diff related.

jimgiblett

posted on 3/6/10 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
quote:

- Jim

hes not worried about breaking it, hes worried about how much power it transfers when one wheel loses grip

Fair point

oldtimer

posted on 3/6/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Phil Jones, he did my 7" Ford LSD.
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 3/6/10 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
we have been quoted 250 plus to do some diff work by various vendors.
To complicate your decision you must watch out for diffs that snatch as you will take out second gear.
The caterham guys had this problem so have a google at that.
Ps we have a cossie lsd here for 190 delivered 7" flange output.
Cheers

CNHSS1

posted on 4/6/10 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
To complicate your decision you must watch out for diffs that snatch as you will take out second gear.
The caterham guys had this problem so have a google at that.

plated diffs (ZF, Tran X, Gripper etc) and 'cam and pawl' type diffs (often found in race spec caterhams) are far more likely to snatch than a VC (OEM Ford) or ATB to be honest, but a fair point though

PuppiesBalls

posted on 4/6/10 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the help & advise guys, Im thinking about geting the diff pumped up abit to make it better for the road, is there any point or should i just leave it as it is?
PuppiesBalls

posted on 7/6/10 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
What do we think then guys, shall i get it pumped up?
Its going to be on the road mainly but will hopefully get it on the track a few times! whats the best all round option?

flak monkey

posted on 7/6/10 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Run a standard one - I reckon it will take a lot of abuse.

Then if it breaks consider uprating another to fit...

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

PuppiesBalls

posted on 7/6/10 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Im going to be using the standard Sierra LSD but i was going to have it pumped up so its better at holding the traction
flak monkey

posted on 7/6/10 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
WTF is pumped up?

A viscous coupling is just a viscous coupling.....you could change the fluid in it, but whether it would make much difference I doubt it. You dont want a very 'solid' LSD in a light car anyway. I would argue the standard LSD is too 'stiff' anyway...

[Edited on 7/6/10 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

alistairolsen

posted on 7/6/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
its just a fluid change to a greater viscosity. TBH getting the fluid changed just for new standard stuff would make a hellish difference on a 100k mile diff!

I suspect with mine if I get confident Idd strip it and replace the bearings to give it a better chance of holding the power but otherwise leave it till Ive had a play on track.

My Build Thread

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.