Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4age silvertop supercharger
gml7

posted on 6/6/10 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
4age silvertop supercharger

I've got a toyota 20v silvertop in my Striker and a spare/scrap silvertop in the garage that died on me from an oil surge! Short sump, not enough oil in it, hard corner then a horrible knocking noise! Very annoying and embarrassing!

Anyway! The Striker is now back on the road with a replacement engine.

I'd like to go down the rotrex supercharged route. More power whilst keeping all the good bits about this engine, mainly revs and reliability (when filled up with oil and fitted with an accusump)!

My plan is to rebuild the spare engine, get the crank re-ground etc. and then switch it into the Striker when it's ready to go. This way I reckon i can maxi my driving time.

I would appreciate any advice! Things that definately need upgrading or changing, supercharger models, what to do what not to do, places to buy parts from etc.

[Edited on 6/6/10 by gml7]

blockhead_rich

posted on 6/6/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
Good luck with your project. I aim to go down this route when funds allow.

I have a spare full engine gasket set for the Silvertop engine for sale, U2U me if your are interested (I know they are quite hard to get in the UK).

I have also found a good source for rings and bearings in the US that I can let you have.

I'll be away from tomorrow until late Thurday however.
Rich

bi22le

posted on 6/6/10 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
hi gml. Welcome to lcb.
Im also going to go down this route in a couple of years.
There are a number of people that have built or currently own a 4age with a charger.
A guy on here called bimbleuk ( hope you dont mind the name drop justin?!) built my car and also an engine to the spec you want. Unfortunatly my car doesn't have that engine in it though. He knows alot about there engines and setups with s/c. It would be worth trying to find his blog or contacting him. If you search raw striker supercharged on youtube thats my car but with the better engine. 270 bhp, that will be fun!
Keep us up to date with the progress.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

stevebubs

posted on 7/6/10 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
I believe Andy Hampshire on the sylva-chat list has already gone down this route and been running like this for a couple of years....
oldtimer

posted on 7/6/10 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
The simple, but not cheap, answer is to fit the Raw Engineering Rotrex supercharger kit which is ready to fit to 4age 20v silvertops.
bimbleuk

posted on 7/6/10 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
The simplest option is to buy the OMEX kit and that's almost a complete bolt on solution.

The second is obvously to make you own braketry, plenum and inlet gubbins.

To prep the silvertop engine you can simply fit the 8.9:1 4AGZE pistons and that should be good for 1 bar or around 300BHP. I had mine fly cut to match the 5 valve pattern and retain the "safe" engine configuration. Others have fitted them but valve piston contact is possible.

Want more power then you need to consider changing the rods and pistons. I know Richard at OMEX has done this to his engine.

The OMEX/RAW kits use the C30-74 Rotrex on the standard engines. However if your serious then the C30-94 is the only one too consider. Looks too big on paper but not when it's actually used. Plenty of potential though.

Dopdog

posted on 7/6/10 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
supercharger

you must be the guy that had the engine off Tim. Give him a call as he has a supercharged 20v in his striker, it made 272bhp on the rollers.
bimbleuk

posted on 7/6/10 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Two other things to consider. The gearbox and clutch.

I was using a BGH E7 heavy duty type 9 which never gave me problems with 195 lbs ft and high RPMs.

Also I had to fit an upgrated clutch to cope. I bought a Helix clutch kit via Fensport. Very nice feel to it and not what what I was expecting from a paddle friction plate.

Unfortunately these items all start to add up.

BGH E7 = £1200 + VAT
Helix clutch = £400 + VAT

[Edited on 7-6-10 by bimbleuk]

gml7

posted on 7/6/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Wow fast responses! Thanks!

Dopdog, I did get the engine off Tim, and it was chatting to him that got me thinking about a s/c!

If i go down the C30 94, does anyone know where to get new 4AGZE pistons or is it a scrap yard job?

When the old engine died the bearing marked the crank. Its not too bad but you can tell that the surface is slightly damaged. Should I re-grind it or get a new crank?

I think mine could be the heavy duty box, but I'll ask Mel if he can remember. The reciept in the file that the guy who sold it to me just says BGH gearbox! Is there anyway of telling?

bimbleuk

posted on 8/6/10 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gml7
If i go down the C30 94, does anyone know where to get new 4AGZE pistons or is it a scrap yard job?

I think mine could be the heavy duty box, but I'll ask Mel if he can remember. The reciept in the file that the guy who sold it to me just says BGH gearbox! Is there anyway of telling?

I bought mine from Fensport who just ordered them from Toyota Japan. They get weekly deliveries so no long delays. When I bought mine they were £36 each I can't remember if that was inc VAT or not. They come with wrist pins but not rings. Rings are another £100 but Toyota rings are ususally chromolly so very high quality.

Unless the tag is still on the box from BGH then you may have to open the box to tell. I don't know what to look for though just there are uprated bearings in there some where!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.