Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MK1 golf G60 V 205 MI 16
craig_007

posted on 9/8/10 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
MK1 golf G60 V 205 MI 16

I've been offered a swap for my 205 Mi16 against a Mk1 golf with a g60 engine fitted.

The Mk1 requires a respray but everything else appears to be in place,Problem being I don't know much about the G60 lump.

My 205 is a track car so the golf would just be to replace this.Is the Mk1 a heavier car than the 205 ? Is it as able on track as a 205 ?

I'm trying to work out if this would be an upgrade in terms of power,power to weight.

How strong is the G60 lump ?

My MI has just had a full rebuild so I know it's good,I dare say it could be a step in to the unknown as the engine good be near deaths door !!

Any thoughts/opinions to point me in the right way !!!!

bassett

posted on 9/8/10 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I think the G60 lump is fairly fragile and rebuilds of the charger are quite expensive, check out G-Werkes for some rough quotes.
Adam

sdh2903

posted on 9/8/10 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I think the lump itself is ok. Its the std 'chargers that are a bit weak and like above arent cheap to rebuild.

nick205

posted on 9/8/10 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
stick with the Pug IMO.

The handling is hard to beat and (assuming both engines are in more or less standard tune) the Pug will have a better power to weight ratio.

(not that I'm biased )

Paul TigerB6

posted on 9/8/10 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
As above - stuck with the Pug. its a known quantity to you - and you could be buying into a money pit with the Golf if you dont know a load of history about the car. I'd be wary of anyone offering to swap personally
craig_007

posted on 9/8/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Magic cheers guys,

I was also talking to a guy from work and he said the same as yourselfs,Pug is a known quantity,keep what you know !

I thought the G60 would have been the quicker car but after a bit of google research it appears there not much in it.

I dare say the handling of the 205 would be hard to beat.

Thanks for the input.

cd.thomson

posted on 9/8/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
the handlings great until you end up upside down .

Good choice, stick with the pug

Craig

P ?

posted on 9/8/10 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
i had a corrado g60 and blew 2 superchargers in its life (hard driving) ... using darren @gwerks it cost 1000quid for a recon'd charger and recon'd intercooler everytime ... its well recconmended to keep on top of services on the G-Lader espically if its uprated !!!

1k is cheap as i new charger from jabba sport at the time would have set me back £1750 quid :S with fitting still to go.

craig_007

posted on 9/8/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
The g60 in question had the charger rebuilt around 10k ago,There's paper work for the rebuild.

Yeah the 205 is quite tail happy when you lift off,I like that though.

001Ben

posted on 9/8/10 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
defo keep the 205. Out of interest how do you find it? Do you have any pics?
craig_007

posted on 9/8/10 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
The 205 is great car I just find it lacking in straight line power,I know the principle of the 205 is the great handling but with a few more horses it would be ideal hence the question about the Mk1 with charger.

After coming from my bec back to a tin top the 205 hasn't really disappointed,It's more than capable of keeping with most things on the twisties including some quick jap stuff.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.