Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Power commander mapping
Yazza54

posted on 29/1/11 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Power commander mapping

Trying to get to grips with mapping my power commander. I know what I want to achieve but I'm finding the power commander a bit of a pain. When I plug it in it shows me the rpm and throttle position etc etc, but the table where all the values should be is blank. I was expecting a table of numbers I could just edit. Is that not how it works? Can anyone tell me how I can find out which map is actually loaded?

I'll be doing it with the LC1 wideband lambda so I don't go too weak or rich... it's too rich currently. Do the values normally change on the air:fuel meter whilst you're modding the map or do you really need to change the map and then go for a drive before it takes full effect?

Running around 11.5-12, want to get it nearer to 13, especially at idle as it's quite rich lower in the rev range.

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

bassett

posted on 29/1/11 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
So at the moment is it blank as in all zeros or nothing there at all?

If you have zero i think this leaves the ecu to run settings as is with no fuel adjustments. Then you add or remove as required.

Might be worth downloading all the maps from the power commander website and trying one that matches your cars spec then go from there with your LC1

I think the changes will only take effect once you upload the map then give it 10-30 secs to start running like that.

[Edited on 29/1/11 by bassett]

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

Yazza54

posted on 29/1/11 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bassett
So at the moment is it blank as in all zeros or nothing there at all?

If you have zero i think this leaves the ecu to run settings as is with no fuel adjustments. Then you add or remove as required.

Might be worth downloading all the maps from the power commander website and trying one that matches your cars spec then go from there with your LC1

I think the changes will only take effect once you upload the map then give it 10-30 secs to start running like that.

[Edited on 29/1/11 by bassett]

Yeah the whole table is just blank.

I have no idea what map it's running, the previous owner had it rolling roaded and mapped...I hope I've not lost the custom map as I wanted to modify it to match the mods I've done to the car.

Like you say, I may find one that is close from the massive list of maps and go from there.

Davey D

posted on 29/1/11 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
a brand new Power commander plugged in, and used for the first time should show all 0's in the fields, so you put a positive number in its place to increase fueling, or put a - negative number in to reduce the fueling.

If all the fields are blank, then it sounds like something isnt right. I cant remember, but is it possible to lock the power commander settings once its been tweaked to stop people copying/chaning the maps like you can with some aftermarket car ECU's ?

Moorron

posted on 29/1/11 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
yeah if they are blank you havent loaded the Map into the PC, is it the USB version? when i connect mine to my netbook and 'get map' it then fills the table out with the fueling alterations.

I did mine with a LC1, lappy and a screen capture program which just records the screen as a film. Then i went out for a normal drive, then a couple of full throttle runs and then some full rev range but at different throttle position runs. Went home looked at the video and tweaked the tables. I must have done this about 20 times to get a nice smooth AFR but really need to do it some more or get it on the rolling road as my 2-5% throttle below 5000 RPM is abit jumpy as its running too rich there.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

Yazza54

posted on 29/1/11 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
It isn't the USB version, the serial verison of the PCIII. Like I said it's been professionally done but modded somewhat since so I just wanted to tweak it from there. I hope I've not wiped it

adithorp

posted on 30/1/11 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Once you're connected have you clicked "get map"? This loads the current map from the PC to the lap-top. Then you can save that file to your hard drive before altering it. That way you can always go back to that map if needed. You then edit the individual fields of the map. 0=standard fueling. +1=1% richer. -1= 1%weaker. Once you've made changes you need to "send map" to load to the PC and see the changes.

Doing the low throttle bits is OK with an assistant but high throttle values and high revs aren't easy on the road.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.