Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: camera lens
austin man

posted on 8/6/11 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
camera lens

I have just upgraded my camera from a Sony A200 up th the Sony A580 reason I kept with sont was maily due to accessories I have ie flash 4 lenses, battery grip etc. Plus I am impressed with the pic quality and ease of use.

My question is

The a580 cam with a Sony SAM lens 18 - 55 my a200 had a 18-70 lens on which i believe is a dt lens. the older lens appears to be made of sterner stuff and has a lonfer focal range. Do I keep the SAM lens or should I swap the two ? my telephoto lenses start at 70 and 80 if that helps any .

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

ashg

posted on 8/6/11 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
the 18-55 is usually a poor quality bundled kit lens well typically with canon cameras it is. it was the first thing i got rid of in exchange for a 17-85. on the canon stuff the image quality massively jumps when going from a kit lens up to a good after market lens.

this is massivly compressed uploaded to photobucket, took with both the camera and subject item hand held but you get the drift of what can be achieved with a good lens.

im not that informed when it comes to sony sony cameras being a canon user but if it were me i would be reading up on the camera forums and doing some like for like tests on a tripod in raw mode at different apertures and zooms.

Dpreview is usually a pretty good site for lens reviews. a quick look on there says that the new 18-55 outperforms the old 18-70, but i didnt read all of the review

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra380/page17.asp

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

austin man

posted on 8/6/11 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
I do have other lenses, my main query is which one of the 2 is the better lens the SAM or DT lens

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

ashg

posted on 8/6/11 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
well acording to the dp review the sam is a much better lens but at the end of the day go with the one you like. if you cant tell the difference between the two after taking a few pictures of the same thing with the different lenses then just keep the one you like.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

bassett

posted on 8/6/11 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Just done the exact same upgrade myself although mine is still in the post. I read quite a bit on the two different lens and the new 18-55mm is apparently much better in terms of image quality and have seen the shots to prove

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.