Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: sierra direct replacement front hubs
danny keenan

posted on 15/7/11 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
sierra direct replacement front hubs

I have just started making some new front hubs for my race car.
they are going to be alot lighter than the sierra.and will be a direct replacement part.when iv got them finished i will post some pics up of them.
if anyone is interested in a pair please send me a u2u

thanks danny

scoop

posted on 16/7/11 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
I would be interetsed once tried and tested and the right price. Made from Ali i take it?
aka Keith

posted on 16/7/11 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Danny,

I would be interested too.

cheers
Craig (BEC, MK indy)

danny keenan

posted on 16/7/11 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
yes they are going to be made from ali.
dont worry i am going to try them on my race car before any are sold to the public.just to make sure they are ok.

cheers

kia54

posted on 16/7/11 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
yeah me to, when do you think they will be ready ?
adithorp

posted on 16/7/11 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be interested once prooven. Weren't there some ally ones available in the past but withdrawn due to breakages (lower mounting) ?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

probablyleon

posted on 16/7/11 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be interested too
danny keenan

posted on 16/7/11 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
im hoping to ge them made up in the next two weeks and put on my car to test them.
i can see any problems so far in them not working.

Stuart_B

posted on 17/7/11 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
hi Danny, i will also be interested

cheers

stu

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

Neville Jones

posted on 17/7/11 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever you do, DONT put them on your own car and use the results as definitive proof of fitness for purpose.

Do yourself, and every prospective customer a favour, and give them to STATUS or someone similar to get independant certification.

Otherwise, they're no better than the old raceleda junk, or the chinese junk that RD are pedalling these days.

Product Liability insurance wouldn't go astray either, but you'd be alone in the kit industry if you had any.

Cheers,
Nev.

sebastiaan

posted on 17/7/11 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
My thoughts exactly. One of the main issues with ally uprights is fatigue failure and you're not going to prove anything in that regard by slapping them onto a racecar and seeing if they break or not. If you do not see the possible problem beforehand, you're really not qualified to engineer/build/sell them at all....

quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
Whatever you do, DONT put them on your own car and use the results as definitive proof of fitness for purpose.

Do yourself, and every prospective customer a favour, and give them to STATUS or someone similar to get independant certification.

Otherwise, they're no better than the old raceleda junk, or the chinese junk that RD are pedalling these days.

Product Liability insurance wouldn't go astray either, but you'd be alone in the kit industry if you had any.

Cheers,
Nev.

tompat3463

posted on 20/7/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
let the lad try them...this country is such a nanny state now... what happened 100 years ago when techniques like this were being tried and tested ??

did they have Pub-Li then ??

NO !!

Neville Jones

posted on 21/7/11 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
100 years ago these would have been very big and probably cast iron or steel! Much the same as today.

Aluminium needs to be the right alloy, and to be the same as a steel item, will need to be bulkier, to account for strength differences, and moreso fatigue life. Fatigue is the killer for aluminium, and even moreso castings. Crystallisation and graining are the culprits.

Ali parts, if made lightly, will definitely need to be lifed, and the only way that life can be established is independant testing.

The ali parts in production cars is not ali as you may know it, and forged in 99% of cases. Chalk and cheese to a casting from ordinary sources.

A properly designed and fabricated steel upright will be lighter, stronger, and have a much longer life than a light alumimium casting.

Safer, to put it in simple terms.

Cheers,
Nev.

coozer

posted on 21/7/11 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
100 years ago these would have been very big and probably cast iron or steel! Much the same as today.

Aluminium needs to be the right alloy, and to be the same as a steel item, will need to be bulkier, to account for strength differences, and moreso fatigue life. Fatigue is the killer for aluminium, and even moreso castings. Crystallisation and graining are the culprits.

Ali parts, if made lightly, will definitely need to be lifed, and the only way that life can be established is independant testing.

The ali parts in production cars is not ali as you may know it, and forged in 99% of cases. Chalk and cheese to a casting from ordinary sources.

A properly designed and fabricated steel upright will be lighter, stronger, and have a much longer life than a light alumimium casting.

Safer, to put it in simple terms.

Cheers,
Nev.

Well said.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

adampage

posted on 21/7/11 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Why Ali & not Steel

Given MNR make some Steel cortina-replacement uprights which are as light as (or did they say lighter?) than the Ali raceleda ones, why do people take the risk of making them in Ali, is it just coz it might appear sexy?

Surely if you understand the forces well enough to design them in Steel you can minimise the wasted material so you're only including what's needed, and you can make them light, without the fatigue issues.

Seems much more sensible to me......
Ad

danny keenan

posted on 21/7/11 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
they are not a full complete cast alooy hub.
they are goig to be like the mnr ones but for the sierra.

so instead of judging something before you have even see it or it's even been tested neville just stick to your locost

thanks danny

SeanStone

posted on 21/7/11 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
i could be interested also, dependant on price!
tommy turtle

posted on 21/7/11 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I would be interested in a set too. I look forward to seeing how you get on testing them as I will be using them for racing. Its good to have people like yourself designing things like this. Don't worry I won't be judging the parts you have designed and are having built before even seeing them. I see this forum has its usual amount of unhelpful and negative feedback without asking questions first. Please pm me as and when you have some pics/prices etc.

Thanks

Tommy

Neville Jones

posted on 21/7/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'll wait with great anticipation for these supposed desireable items to show in public.

If there's any cast ali in them, you're in for big problems.

If the steering arms are welded ala Raceleda, ..you're in for big problems......

If you notice, I only make noises regarding safety issues(and maybe the uninformed bs from one or two).

Uprights are a fairly big safety item, wouldn't you agree?

Make what you want for racing, I don't care about that. BUT, if they are going on road cars, GET THEM INDEPENDANTLY TESTED!!!!

Cheers,
Nev.

[Edited on 21/7/11 by Neville Jones]

tommy turtle

posted on 21/7/11 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Nev

Tommy

noc231073

posted on 21/7/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I totally agree with Neville ..offering these for sale to the general public at this stage is not just stupid !!! its totally unsafe..
loggyboy

posted on 21/7/11 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Isnt everyone getting a bit confused between Uprights (ie things that break lots) thast arent being offered here, and hubs (fairly simple item that wheels bolt to and spin around) that are?
Neville Jones

posted on 22/7/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
What surprises me in all these front upright/hub hoohaas, is that nobody yet seems to have cottoned on to the fact that you could take one of the modern fwd cars rear bearing/hub cassettes, and simply bolt it to a suitably tapered piece if 80x40 rhs tube, weld a couple of boses either end for ball joints, weld a beefy and properly designed steering arm to that lot, and job's done. This all ends up a little lighter than the old Cortina setup as well.

I've done it as an exercise a couple of years ago, and it's within the realms of most backyard chassis bulders, so someone like MK shouldn't struggle too much. I used a set of Fiesta bolt on rears from an old scrapper.

Cheers,
Nev.

[Edited on 22/7/11 by Neville Jones]

ashg

posted on 22/7/11 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
neville look at martin k's new beemR he has done exactly that using an astra hub/bearing

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

rdodger

posted on 13/9/13 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Did this get any further?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.