Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Laptop for 3D CAD
FASTdan

posted on 20/7/11 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Laptop for 3D CAD

I know there's a few CAD users on here so thought it was worth asking the question.....

Looking to spend £500-600 on a laptop - not proper workstation money, but I'm not looking to run big models at all. Software will be inventor, mostly parametric parts, small assemblies and drawing work.

What should I be looking for in terms of spec (graphics, RAM, processor etc)? Of course usually the more the better, but whats my priorities? I am not very hardware-literate at all so I could do with all the help I can get. Manufacturer recommendations?

Had considered the refurbished route which would allow me to get a more capable machine, but its always going to be a gamble.

Whenever I try and reasearch cad laptops on google I just end up seeing £2k machines which are way above my range

[Edited on 20/7/11 by FASTdan]

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MK9R

posted on 20/7/11 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Get something that designed for gaming, it should have the best graphics card in it. Get one with a seperate graphics card, not itegrated. Get plenty of Ram too, 2gb+. I have just bought a Dell XPS laptop with Nvidea card in it. I use CAD all day long at work and our software needs the best cards you can get, and a rake of ram, our desktops are about 2.5-3k each the laptops are more. But my £700 Dell will run it ok as long as i dont want to do the big stuff.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kwik

posted on 20/7/11 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
should easily get a 3gb+ 250gb storage with dedicated graphics.

i have a toshiba thing that was bought a few years ago, i ran solidworks on it no problem and was under £500 when new.

ram, processor and graphics are the main thing, storage can be upgraded using an external hard drive if you have to...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 20/7/11 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Something like this could do the job, a friend of mine runs the previous model with Solid Edge / Solid Works and it only struggles when you get really big:

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-l702x/pd

I run a Dell XPS desktop and a 5 year old Dell Latitude laptop and never had any problems.

UncleFista

posted on 20/7/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Dunno whether this one is any good for your purposes, but it has plenty of RAM and a seperate gfx card..

It's on offer at Argos Down from £630 to £400 here

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 20/7/11 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't (and don't) bother with anything new or thats sold for the general public. They're overpriced and laden with bloated operating systems and other guff.

The best thing to do is buy a refurbed ex-company laptop, they are much fsater and bogged down with so much less bullshit and usually come with XP Pro as well. Something like an IBM/Lenovo T60.

I currently have a 7 year old IBM T42 ex-company and it still runs all the CAD (CATIA, SW, AutoCAD etc etc) with no problems, I'm going to upgrade to a T60 soon though purely because the thing is wrecked from being so old (weld spatter on the screen etc etc)

And all this for <£200, spend the other £300 on car bits.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
FASTdan

posted on 21/7/11 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys. Some good info.

Derek have you got any sources for such machines? Sub £200 is appealing, I've not seen much in that range!

***edited to say, a few on ebay it would seem.....

Also, Dell M90's seem in a similar used price bracket, similar spec etc....

[Edited on 21/7/11 by FASTdan]

shindha

posted on 21/7/11 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
There used to be a company called Morgan Computers in Birmingham selling refurbished and some ex company hardware. I don't know if they have a web presence but certianly worth looking up.
Amazing what google knows:
http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

[Edited on 21/7/11 by shindha]

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 21/7/11 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan

Derek have you got any sources for such machines? Sub £200 is appealing, I've not seen much in that range!

Here you go.

http://www.thelaptopcentre.co.uk/refurbished-ibm-lenovo-laptops/lenovo-ibm-thinkpad-t60-wireless-t2400-core-duo-processor-rated-at-183ghz-3gb-ddr2-mem ory-60gb-hdd-dvd-ramcdrw-drive-141-lcd-xp-pro.html

Loads of places sell refurbed laptops like this, I'll be upgrading soon and an IBM T60 is what I'll get. A bit more searching will see one for <£200 as well.

XP Pro is what you want for CAD work as well, it says something when every engineering and CAD place worth its salt is still running XP despite it being superceded twice now.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

FASTdan

posted on 21/7/11 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan

Here you go.

http://www.thelaptopcentre.co.uk/refurbished-ibm-lenovo-laptops/lenovo-ibm-thinkpad-t60-wireless-t2400-core-duo-processor-rated-at-183ghz-3gb-ddr2-mem ory-60gb-hdd-dvd-ramcdrw-drive-141-lcd-xp-pro.html

Loads of places sell refurbed laptops like this, I'll be upgrading soon and an IBM T60 is what I'll get. A bit more searching will see one for <£200 as well.

XP Pro is what you want for CAD work as well, it says something when every engineering and CAD place worth its salt is still running XP despite it being superceded twice now.

Thanks for the links guys.

We're still on XP at work but imminently changing to windows 7. Our Autodesk support group claim that Inventor on XP 64 can only access 6gb RAM (despite our machines running 16gb) so interested to hear this about XP?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.