Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Snetterton Trackday??????????
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 27/3/12 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Snetterton Trackday??????????

I need to experience Snetterton, before competing there in June.

I've looked at trackdays.co.uk - basically 1/4, 9/5, 31/5 (evening). I've never done a trackday in the car before, simply because I'm a bit nervous about the competition car getting hit by an Imprezza or somesuch, especially just before an event. Are there any 7-type days by other operators?

Is anyone going? Would you mind me planting my bum in your passenger seat - you'll find your day a lot more locost if you'd help me out here?

Here's hoping..

adithorp

posted on 27/3/12 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
I've not seen car to car contact at a track day yet. The overtaking rules are intended to prevent it happening. Anybody flouting the "overtake by permision, on the streight and on the left(occationally right)" would be black flagged pretty quick.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

dhutch

posted on 27/3/12 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I've not seen car to car contact at a track day yet.

Ditto, ive done three days, and passengered at about three others, two of mine where at public days, one at a wscc organised day. Was nice to be with 'like minded' cars becuase the 'porcshe that slows to a crawl through the bends but has the power to prevent you overtaking down the straight' does very much exist, but I wasnt worried about the other cars on the other days.

Daniel

amalyos

posted on 27/3/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
If your worrried about something hitting you on a trackday, your going to get a shock when you race!!

What series are you running in? you might find that the Scooby crowd won't even get near you, and there's lots of space at Snetterton.

Tip: just make sure you break hard before you get to Nelson corner, if you don't, make sure your RallyX skills are up to scratch, mine weren't

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

skidmark

posted on 27/3/12 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Just don't go on a "taster session" - on the one I went to there were several plebs who overtook around corners and on the wrong side and were right up your backside when they didn't need to be at times. I think it's because you only get a few laps and everybody tries to go as fast as they can in the limited time available without building up speed. I had the distinct impression somebody was going to pile into the back of me when their brakes faded. Maybe different on other taster sessions but that was my experience. I'll be doing a proper day next time.
will121

posted on 27/3/12 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I've not seen car to car contact at a track day yet.

It's very rare but I have seen it along with individual contact with a armco barrier, it should not be a fear that stops you enjoying your day, but should the worse happen need to accept everyone their taking part at own risk with very little insurance potential.
As for snetterton It now a long track with lots of space to overtake so should be little excuses for people diving up the inside, and twisty enough that 4x4 won't trouble to much unless wet, get on track carefully learn track to start with giving others space then possibly get an instructor if you have two seats.
Have a look on you tube for idea of track layouts and lines.

I might be there on Sunday 1st with friends but not driving, let us know what you book

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 27/3/12 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments chaps, much appreciated. Particularly the taster session comment, simply because I had considered that as an option, having the same reservations.

I'm happy out on a track with Westfields, I'm happy 'rubbing' fellow competitors, what I'm not happy with is the idea of Mr Imprezza steaming into my flammable rear end because he tries the same braking spot on a trackday (or has a phone call) However, from what you've all said it sounds like the trackday police are up to the job.

With my 260K mile road car (MK1 Mundaneo) now pretty much scrap, I'll try and look out for something cheap, cheerful, shoppable and trackable for one of the sessions. MX5, old Rover, or somesuch.

mark chandler

posted on 27/3/12 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
It does do happen, I got hit up on my rear wheel arch by a fiat 500 racer at Cadwell and also saw m3 being recovered at Brands.

The track police were all over the fiat, it was a race day the next day and he was treating the itermediate driver session as a race hit me on the exit of a corner before I moved across.

The M3 spun on the parade lap and collected the armco in a big way, it was all stickered as a race car with cage etc and had come all the way from Belgium on a trailer behind a new Porsche Cayenne

Best is to book an open track day, by 12am all the idiots have broken down, you tend to get the track more to yourself in the afternoon.

Sessioned days are more of a 15 minute race every hour IMHO.

Regards Mark

dlatch

posted on 27/3/12 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
maybe i have been lucky as well but i have never seen car to car contact on a trackday either

seen plenty of people run out of talent and bin it though, including a spectacular roll at brands (nissan sunny gtir)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 27/3/12 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
It's very rare but I have seen it along with individual contact with a armco barrier, it should not be a fear that stops you enjoying your day, but should the worse happen need to accept everyone their taking part at own risk with very little insurance potential.
Ive certainly seen armco, and im not saying cant happen. But its not a mess of madmen by any means.

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.