Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BBC4 Group B rally documentary
nick205

posted on 3/4/12 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
BBC4 Group B rally documentary

Watched Sunday's episode of the BBC4 documentary on group B rallying last night. Very interesting to gain an insight into how things got out of hand and how quickly it all happened.

I think it was Toivenen or Rhorl who commented how one year he was driving cars with 150bhp, RWD, live axle then 3-4 years later they were in 500bhp 4WD bespoke machines - too far too fast!

I was also interested to hear the differing views on the issues with spectators, particularly in Portugal and Italy. Personally I don't see how any blame whatsoever can be leveled at the drivers for any risk or actual injury to spectators - it's motor sport and drivers will lose control when pushing to the limit. The responsibility lies squarely with the organisers and the spectators themselves - why would you think it's OK to try and touch a car travelling at high speed on loose surfaces

On the plus side it was great to see footage of those amazing machines and equally amazing drivers. They just look so much faster and more exciting the the modern WRC cars.

Looking forward to the next installments.

daniel mason

posted on 3/4/12 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
it was a great programme. i really enjoyed it.
but why did they let the portugese amateur out in the works rs200 with no testing? absolute nuts!

HomersDouble

posted on 3/4/12 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
I watched as well, but it made me think I look at those times through some slightly rose tinted specs.
From a spectacle and engineering point of view they were fantastic times - fantastically fast, noisy and innovative cars driven by some hugely talented drivers. However this film and the recent Senna one showed the side of motorsport that had largely washed over me at the time, namely the politics involved and in particular the antics of J M Balestre - the man was so self centrered, arrogant and probably corrupt that he obviously believed that the whole of motorsport was his personal plaything.

The Bernie & Max partnership that followed had its faults, but I do believe that most of their decisions where based on proper safety and commercial grounds.

My lasting (now slightly less enthusiastic) memories are of flying cars decked out in Martini stripes and the great sound of the 6R4s.....

Chris

richard thomas

posted on 3/4/12 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
but why did they let the portugese amateur out in the works rs200 with no testing? absolute nuts!

Ford were late into the game and looking for results i think....and he was a capable driver...as his co-driver and manager said, he lost control due to a road position adjustment to miss a spectator in the road immediately before he hit the crowd....found it hard to swallow that the poor sod who got hit in the interview blamed the driver when he was stood where he was - I know it was the done thing (then) but it was obvious to all what the risks were. Almost a game....

daniel mason

posted on 3/4/12 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
im not saying he wasnt a competent driver. just that he had never driven a rally car with this power. let alone with spectators stood everywhere. he simply should not have been in that car on that day. and as for the spectators. there should have been more control over where they were stoood.

omega 24 v6

posted on 3/4/12 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

and in particular the antics of J M Balestre - the man was so self centrered, arrogant and probably corrupt that he obviously believed that the whole of motorsport was his personal plaything

I feel sad that you have painted such a nice picture of this guy LOL ( sarcasm).

Excellent programme and amazing that so few spectators were killed. Nowadays theyd just shut the stage and rightly so.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

bi22le

posted on 3/4/12 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Is this a series or one off? What was it called and when. ill have a look tonight to see if my tivo piled it up.

I have been goodwood and heard back to back modern and old group B rally cars run at full chat.

They all seemed loud to me and like mice compared to the age comparative bikes and track day cars of the time.

inspirational cars and formula though to any motosport discipline.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

iank

posted on 3/4/12 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I have been goodwood and heard back to back modern and old group B rally cars run at full chat.

They all seemed loud to me and like mice compared to the age comparative bikes and track day cars of the time.

You sometimes see turbo's called 'rotary silencers' as they reduce noise levels a lot.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

nick205

posted on 3/4/12 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason

Ford were late into the game and looking for results i think....and he was a capable driver...as his co-driver and manager said, he lost control due to a road position adjustment to miss a spectator in the road immediately before he hit the crowd....found it hard to swallow that the poor sod who got hit in the interview blamed the driver when he was stood where he was - I know it was the done thing (then) but it was obvious to all what the risks were. Almost a game....

Ditto re: the Portuguese spectator - IMHO he was 100% in the wrong, he chose to stand there and put himself at great risk. Anyone of the drivers could have lost control for any number of reasons including mechanical failure. I'm amazed the fatalities and casualties were as low as they were when you consider the car was travelling at a stated 130kph.

nick205

posted on 3/4/12 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Is this a series or one off? What was it called and when. ill have a look tonight to see if my tivo piled it up.

It's a series with 2-3 more episodes I think - should be available on iPlayer.

wicket

posted on 3/4/12 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
It's on again tonight BBC4 8pm. Think it's only the one program shown several times.
jacko

posted on 3/4/12 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wicket
It's on again tonight BBC4 8pm. Think it's only the one program shown several times.

Thank you for the head up
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bobinspain

posted on 3/4/12 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Watched oodles of motorsport on sunday, including this excellent Group B rally programme.
I supplemented it with around 3 or 4 hours coverage of the first meeting of the season for BTCC, Ginetta Junior G40, Snrs G55 and G60 racing.
It's 'real racing' with the kitty-litter round the Brands (Indy) circuit getting some real hammer.

With virtually no pre-season testing, Jason Plato's debut in the MG KX was nothing short of sensational.
Most of the drivers, whatever the class took no prisoners, even the 14-17 year olds in the junior class were 'going for it.' (Very lucky lads to be driving such tasty machinery at their age).

[Edited on 3/4/12 by bobinspain]

coozer

posted on 3/4/12 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
The opening shot on the Iplayer is awesome, it will NEVER happen again!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

scudderfish

posted on 4/4/12 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
The opening shot on the Iplayer is awesome, it will NEVER happen again!

For good reason! I don't particularly have anything against running cars like that, but the 'management' of the spectators was asking for carnage. I'm surprised so few were killed.

mds167

posted on 4/4/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Watched oodles of motorsport on sunday, including this excellent Group B rally programme.
I supplemented it with around 3 or 4 hours coverage of the first meeting of the season for BTCC, Ginetta Junior G40, Snrs G55 and G60 racing.
It's 'real racing' with the kitty-litter round the Brands (Indy) circuit getting some real hammer.

+1 for Ginettas - I've been wathcing the Ginetta Juniors for the last couple of years on ITV4 but missed them last weekend.
Will look out for the late nmight re-runs! Prefer wathcing the ginettas to the Clios, single seaters and Porsches.

More fun than F1 and amazing to see the kids get out from behind the wheel and talk so cohesively about their performance and that of the car. Hoep to see some stars of tomorrow...

As for the Group B programme, I've taped it (well got in on the hard drive) to watch later....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.