Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any alarm experts (tintop)
aka_shortie

posted on 28/4/12 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Any alarm experts (tintop)

Looking to improve the tin tops security (BMW e90), not sure if people are aware but hell of a lot of BMW's are being stolen by re-programed key through the OBD port. First move was to hide the OBD port!

Anyway, spoken to a couple of Alarm fitters and they reckon that any aftermarket alarm linked into the Can bus system can also be deactivated through the OBD port.

Well BMW's security is crap, the siren is so quiet it would not wake me even with all the windows open, there is no brake glass sensor and the interior movement sensors are so poor, these thieves can access the obd without triggering it.

I want to fit a second alarm (i do not want an immobiliser) and i want to have it on a separate circuit all of its own. I want an extremely loud siren, and high pitched interior siren, glass break sensor, tilt sensor, interior movement sensor (pager is a bonus but not essential), dont need things like remote start and not bothered about having to use a separate remote to the key to arm / disarm it.

So has anyone got any suggestions.

Most alarms these days seem to have an immobiliser, can i just not connect the immobiliser and just use the rest of the system?

MakeEverything

posted on 28/4/12 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Why not replace the siren unit and install additional sensors to the existing standard unit? Will it facilitate this?

If not, then you can buy alarms without immobilisers, but to be honest, i wouldnt bother. To make a difference in insurance too, it needs to be thatcham approved and with a fitting certificate from a thatcham installer. These are available on ebay IIRC...

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

aka_shortie

posted on 28/4/12 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Why not replace the siren unit and install additional sensors to the existing standard unit? Will it facilitate this?

Now sure if it is possible, will have to do a bit more digging.

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverythingIf not, then you can buy alarms without immobilisers, but to be honest, i wouldnt bother. To make a difference in insurance too, it needs to be thatcham approved and with a fitting certificate from a thatcham installer. These are available on ebay IIRC...

Im not really looking for anything to reduce insurance, not even bothered about thatcham approved. If someone breaks a window or puts their hand inside, i just want it to make a shat load of noise, enough to scare them off and to wake me as our bedroom is at the front of the house and we always have the top window open at night.

MakeEverything

posted on 28/4/12 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aka_shortie

Im not really looking for anything to reduce insurance, not even bothered about thatcham approved. If someone breaks a window or puts their hand inside, i just want it to make a shat load of noise, enough to scare them off and to wake me as our bedroom is at the front of the house and we always have the top window open at night.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.