Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What would you have done ?
Jon Ison

posted on 17/6/12 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
What would you have done ?

Just back back from a trip om M1 in tin top, traffics flowing well but busy.

Cruising along with the flow, unmarked plod passes he's keeping up with the flow 70-80ish not bothering any one I pull out behind him to overtake and stay behind in for a couple of miles overtaking slower moving traffic. I can see in mirrors mister angry is flashing and tailgating slowing trying to fight through the busy but flowing traffic, eventually it's my turn headlights a blaze arms waving.

1st gap that appears in middle lane I indicate and move over, he flys past me straight up the unmarked plods rear, flashes him, plod doesn't move, he decides to undertake him, the rest is history.

Had he not been such a knob I would have held him back and warned him, was I wrong to sort of set him up ?

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 17/6/12 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Just back back from a trip om M1 in tin top, traffics flowing well but busy.

Cruising along with the flow, unmarked plod passes he's keeping up with the flow 70-80ish not bothering any one I pull out behind him to overtake and stay behind in for a couple of miles overtaking slower moving traffic. I can see in mirrors mister angry is flashing and tailgating slowing trying to fight through the busy but flowing traffic, eventually it's my turn headlights a blaze arms waving.

1st gap that appears in middle lane I indicate and move over, he flys past me straight up the unmarked plods rear, flashes him, plod doesn't move, he decides to undertake him, the rest is history.

Had he not been such a knob I would have held him back and warned him, was I wrong to sort of set him up ?

You were right

Ive made a guy race me before i turned off and he went through the speed camera under the bridge at tranent

owelly

posted on 17/6/12 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
You reap what you sow......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spiderman

posted on 17/6/12 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
, was I wrong to sort of set him up ?

Nope. You did not make him undertake anyone and in that sort of traffic you have to sit back and go with the flow. It's people like that who cause major accidents with people losing their life or quality of life by being crippled. Don't get me wrong I like to put my foot down, but only where it is appropriate and not at the risk of others.

Spider

Ben_Copeland

posted on 17/6/12 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Karma... you act like an ass, you get your just deserts. I would of done exactly the same, but i would of found amuzement at it, and laughed at him so he could see!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Oddified

posted on 17/6/12 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
His own fault in my opinion. He should have been paying more attention and spotted plod himself like you did.

If you'd tried to warn him you'd probably have just got 1 or 2 fingers back as he overtook/undertook you any way!.

Ian

Dave Ashurst

posted on 17/6/12 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
You behaved perfectly. Anything else might have led to an accident.
perksy

posted on 17/6/12 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
You did the right thing

What goes around comes around

Who knows, he may even learn by what he has done and not be a risk to everybody in the future ?

Steve Hignett

posted on 17/6/12 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'd have goaded him into doing something worse... (I know that's a naughty thing, but it's funny to antagonise already arseholey drivers...) Of course, he could have been racing home for a few last words with his dying son/daughter/mother/wife etc...............

As for Mango's comments, there's a speed trap on the way into Chester, just after a two lane traffic light and it's perfect for a little drag race start, and I've raced quite a few people in to Chester and then slammed the brakes on to see the camera double-flash the other car...

Once again, yes I know it's petty, but I just can't help it sometimes in the car!

jossey

posted on 17/6/12 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
You did it right mate.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
woodster

posted on 17/6/12 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
If you hung around long enough to see mr tailgater get pulled and if you got chance to give him the w&nker sign then you did the right thing
Mr C

posted on 17/6/12 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yep right thing, nice one, fook him, the bellend, deserved everything he got.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

02GF74

posted on 17/6/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to disagree but you made a big mistake.

Once the police stopped him, you should have pulled over and given the imbecile driver the Vs.

If only I was so lucky with those idiots - Audi or BMW?

iank

posted on 17/6/12 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I hope you made room in the middle lane so he could execute the undertake. People like that at best slow the average speed of the traffic down as people have to slam the brakes on at some point to avoid them, at worse people die.

If you were caught warning him about the unmarked then in theory they could pull you over and charge you with perverting the course of justice (which they have done for people warning of speed traps) which carries potential jail time. Best to let him make his own bed and entertain the entire section of the M1.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

alistairolsen

posted on 17/6/12 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
I don't disagree with your course of action at all, you drove in accordance with the highway code.

However:

The police should also have pulled accross, allowing him to overtake (in accordance with the highway code) and then pulled him over for tailgating or speeding, not deliverately held the outside lane when the inside was clear to encourage the undertake.

My Build Thread

Simon

posted on 17/6/12 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
The police should also have pulled accross, allowing him to overtake (in accordance with the highway code) and then pulled him over for tailgating or speeding, not deliverately held the outside lane when the inside was clear to encourage the undertake.

Technically you can undertake - the circumstances have to be right ie steady traffic flow (which there was); Lanes 1 or 2 moving faster than Lanes 2 or 3 respectively (wherein the higher numbered lane is moving slower than the lower numbered and the higher numbered is below the speed limit) and a gap for the twat (wherein the prob arises). What the human race/plod doesn't like is lane jumpers and people who flash their lights thinking that they have more rights to the road etc. According to the highway code, yes you should pull into lane 1 or 2 once your overtake is done, but where there is very high volume of traffic, this may not be possible; it being better that everyone in all three lanes does say 60, rather than Mr Getoutofmyway hogs lane 3 at 80 while the rest of us jump out of his way and do 45 in lane 1 and 2.

ATB

Simon

johnwilders

posted on 17/6/12 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Bet he was in a BMW
ReMan

posted on 17/6/12 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one.
Theres a world of difference between driving fast and being a bullying knob

I bet Audi or perhaps a 4x4?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

slingshot2000

posted on 17/6/12 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Sorry it just had to be : - Audi or BMW?

It just had to be one of the above, obviously !

A1

posted on 17/6/12 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
You should always help a fellow motorist against the cops, even if they are being a c***.
NigeEss

posted on 17/6/12 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'd have done the same, and felt smug about it afterwards.

And it's "passing on the inside", "undertaking" is what funeral directors do

I quite regularly pass on the inside when there's a middle-lane-hogging-knob-jockey refusing to budge.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Simon

posted on 17/6/12 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
You should always help a fellow motorist against the cops, even if they are being a c***.

Really. I had wife and two boys in car today and was being followed by a twat in a Warrior type thing - trying to overtake/tailgate etc on minor roads. If this is the kind of prat you'd help, I'd suggest you go and hand your license back in cos you must be as utterly stupid and irresponsible as them!

ATB

Simon

A1

posted on 18/6/12 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
Im really not stupid, or irresponsible actually, but thanks for the vote of confidence
Im not saying I approve of driving like a douche, but when the cops are there playing games (and hiding) as ever, Id warn 99% of people. not prius drivers though. as said, maybe they were in an emergency. you never know...

matt_claydon

posted on 18/6/12 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1

Why?

Ninehigh

posted on 18/6/12 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1

We're not motorists, we're drivers

We're not motorist, we like them!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.