Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MG BGT?
Simon

posted on 21/6/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
MG BGT?

Extension is nearly done (though garage is still small!) so can start thinking of projects; so has anyone had one, particularly as a resto project. Not thinking of standard resto - quite modified, so toying with very very cheap car (and appropriate condition) so if plan doesn't work it can be crushed without guilt)

Most inner panels to remain, "bodykit" may be involved.

Cheers for thoughts

ATB

Simon.

paulf

posted on 21/6/12 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I had one for about 27 years , It was a 1970 model and I bought it in 1982, even then it had been welded and I had to do all the usual parts , sills, inner wings,door skins, rear wings etc with in a couple of years of owning it.I then used it as an everyday car for about 10 years and found it easy to keep running as they are so simple to work on.I then didn't use it as much and it started to rust again and spent the last 10 years in storage.I decided I was going to rebuild it again but when I added up the cost it was going to cost the best part of £1000 to do the body work before painting it and I couldn't justify the cost.
If you can get a cheap tax exempt one it may be worth while but they are not really cheap to fully rebuild and the low performance and lack of economy makes it not really justifiable compared to the alternatives available .It is a lot of work to do the sills etc properly and I never find it very satisfying welding rusty cars.
Paul

owelly

posted on 21/6/12 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
As they don't hold the same value as a Roadster, you can pick up a half decent one for around a grand. I went shopping with a mate who was looking for a classic. He had £3k to spend and he wasn't interested in looking at cheaper cars. After driving all over the country, we contacted a guy through a classified ad who had a 1976 GT for sale for £1300. It was in very good condition! It had been restored at some point (probably late 80's/early 90's)and all the usual places had been seen to but apart from a couple of tiny rust blebs where the trim had been clipped on, the paint work was good, if a little dull.
We made him an offer of £1000, left our number and walked away. We had barely left his village when he phoned us accepting our offer.
That was four years ago and the car is used everyday in all weathers. It has a slightly leaky rear axle and the tacho needs a tap to get it moving, but for £1k..?!
No matter what you end up spending, have a good poke about and check for 'MOT repairs' rather than proper ones! Don't trust any metalwork you can't see, ie: if it has shiney chrome sill covers, try to se if they are hiding doom and gloom. Lift up the carpets, etc..

[Edited on 21/6/12 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 21/6/12 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
TR 6

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Simon

posted on 21/6/12 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
For a hundred and fifty quid

I wish!

ATB

Simon

owelly

posted on 21/6/12 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
For £150, you'll get enough car to half fill a wheely bin. Stretch that to £500 and, with care, you'll get summat salvagable. Probably.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 21/6/12 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=380447660221

Simon

posted on 22/6/12 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
Budget is going to be £3 - 600 depending on rest of extension costs All, or at least, most of running gear will be going, along with all the interior (except roof lining) so may recoup a couple of quid that way.

Might yet decide to extend the garage and porch first

ATB

Simon

cliftyhanger

posted on 22/6/12 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, you have missed the point with buying old cars. ALWAYS get the best bodywork you can, it is way cheaper and less soul destroying in the long run. A few hundred quid an make a huge difference to the quality of what you get.
Besides, fairly "normal" looking old sports cars are quite good when it comes to the ladies

Benzine

posted on 22/6/12 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Hmm, you have missed the point with buying old cars. ALWAYS get the best bodywork you can, it is way cheaper and less soul destroying in the long run. A few hundred quid an make a huge difference to the quality of what you get.

True. I've almost finished welding my volvo amazon after a year, looking back I should have splashed out maybe 3 or 4 hundred quid more. I found out this week there's one in a local breakers yard so I went to get some bits off it and structurally it was 5 times better than mine when I got it

paulf

posted on 22/6/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was sum what better than that and I let it go for £250, but it still wanted the best part of £1000 just to get an Mot.
The body work is the worst part of them and if I was throwing away most of an old MGB it would be the body, the mechanics are tough and reliable if a little dated.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=380447660221

deltron63

posted on 22/6/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Mines got an agreed value of £15000 !!!!!
Description
Description

Simon

posted on 22/6/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'm still only paying 3 - 600 quid though

ATB

Simon

spiderman

posted on 23/6/12 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deltron63
Mines got an agreed value of £15000 !!!!!
Description
Description

Spider

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.