Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Very complex problem with V5 and SORN
Nightkid

posted on 6/4/05 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Very complex problem with V5 and SORN

Hi all
I like to know on how to proceed with my current problem:
I have recently purchase a car privately that did not have a V5 document. I'm convinced the car was not stolen as I pick the car up from the pervious owner's house and have receive a number of past MOT certificate and the original certificate from where the car is brought from new. I wanted the car as a donor for a kit car and wanted to declare the car SORN ASAP. The problem is that I cannot declare the car SORN unless I have the V5 for the car. How can I prove that I'm the new owner of the vehicle and have the V5 under my name and at the same time delcare it SORN so I wont get fined for having a car with no MOT or road tax?
This gets more complicated. The pervious owner did not declare the car under his name either as he was going to scrap it and use it for rallying only. So I assume the car’s ownership is under the previous-previous owner who I have been told has past away. Technical speaking I have a car which is under an owner who is dead. Hurts the head doesn’t it!?
Any ideas? Many Thanks.

chrism

posted on 6/4/05 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

from what I have heard before if you apply for a replacement V5 for the DVLA they will try to contact the currently registered owner, and I believe if they get no reply within a certain amount of time they will transfer the car into your name.
I'm not 100% positive though.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

ChrisS

posted on 6/4/05 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Piece of cake mate.

write to dvla telling them all thuff about the owner and the previous owner and all that. usually they will want verification from the seller that you are the new owner, but as this isnt strictly possible, they should issue yo uwith a v5, at which point you can declare SORN.

In the mean time contact dvla SORN dept and also tell them that you have a car, reg number dadadada but have no v5 and you would lke to inform them you have the car kept off the road and will declare it when you have the v5.

you may get fines in the mean time but it will all get sorted, as i had exactly the same issue with a car i brought.

Just be sure to always take the persons name and direct number who you speak to as they often do not log calls, also ask for a refrence number or ask for confirmation in writing.

smart51

posted on 6/4/05 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
You could phone up the DVLA and ask them.
ned

posted on 6/4/05 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
there is a form a the psot office for requestin a new v5. as said they try to contact the previous owner, then send you a v5. I did this with my donor as the previous owner had lost the v5. took about a week or two to come through..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 6/4/05 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Very simple,

download this and follow the appropriate instructions:

V5 form

and then download this and fill it in as well:

Sorn Form
Job done!

NS Dev

posted on 6/4/05 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
The last 3 cars that have passed though my hands have all undergone this process! (all were for breaking!)
Nightkid

posted on 6/4/05 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply guys. I have got in touch with DVLA at the same time i posted this thread. I'm just waiting for the reply from DVLA.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.