Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Teesside Autodrome - 27th March
DarrenW

posted on 20/3/06 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Teesside Autodrome - 27th March

Who is going from this site?
I already know of Guiness, me, my Dad and Andrew from down the road. Is JoelP still going? (just checked mail - seen your name on it.)

Mine will be the dark bue Mac#1ZR that will be holding everyone up!!!! Its my first track day and cant wait. Is it anyone elses first ever track day?

What prep are people doing on their cars before the event? I must remember to do an oil change and check coolant.

Does anyone know if there is a petrol station close to the track? Im taking a 5 gallon jerry can just in case - dont suppose this will last long!. Does anyone know if there is a safe place to leave tools and fuel while you are on the track?

Just got a mail from Mike Ketley this morning. Need to arrive between 8 and 8.30 for sign in and briefing. £70 for a days play and an instructor and buffet lunch is available!!! bargain or what.

Just need to find out how to get there now. Im travelling from Bishop Auckland along A66. Will probs be in convoy with Dad and Andrew D.

Getting excited now. Hope the weather is kind to us.

Just spied Mookaloid, Coose and Eddy on the email as well. My word there are a few of us. Cant wait to put faces to the names.
Just read eddy's comments from before - just about sums up my anticipation as well.
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=23342

As well as helmet what else do we need to take. Didnt think about driving licence - is photocard Ok or do you have to take paper counterpart as well?

[Edited on 20/3/06 by DarrenW]

DarrenW

posted on 20/3/06 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
This will be me. Recognisable by the CCR Phantoms on the seats! Rescued attachment P2150665 resized.JPG
Rescued attachment P2150665 resized.JPG

JoelP

posted on 20/3/06 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Im still hoping to go, the engine isnt running yet but im hopeful I was in the garage til nearly 11 last night, theres nowt hard to do just lots of little things!

I believe you WILL need your paper counterpart licence, they've always asked for it on other trakcdays.

Fuel, i take a tank full and a 23 litre can, i never come close to running out, but i top it up most times out to avoid starvation on corners.

AA routefinder says its an hour from leeds, i dont believe a word of it! Cant leave earlier than 7am though so i may be late!

Prep wise, its got to be a full bolt check, fluid check, pads etc. Im sticking new oil in tonight but will maybe change it before then if i get time, since its new oil into an engine that hasnt run in 2 years.

Its going to be a great day, £70 is an awesome price considering you get lunch and an instructor!

As for a safe place to leave tools and fuel, ive in the past just left stuff on the back of the recovery truck i sometimes borrow. Id like to think you could trust your fellow racers, but it just depends on who else is there and what the area is like. Should be fine, im not taking anything expensive anyway so if stuff gets nicked, i'll try not to care! First track day i took the welder and compressor!

owelly

posted on 20/3/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be there, but alas, with no car!!
I'll be going just for the laugh as it is local to me. I've been a few times before and it's always been a bit informal (but professional) and they've never asked for a driving license. They are fussy about noise limits!! You have been fore warned!!
The cafe is handy and the grub is OK. McD's is two mins away but there are some hefty road works on Cargo Fleet Road. It was completely closed the other day so check if you intend to come down Ormesby Bank.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 20/3/06 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I'm getting there.

Took a day off today, ripped the old engine out, the new one is in, plumbed in, oil, water and fuel, did the majority of the wiring, just got four wires left to connect up tomorrow (two for the ignition timing and one each for the new oil pressure and temp gauges).

Lets hope it goes! and has a full complement of gears!

I'll fill up at the BP just off the A19 north of Boro in the morning, and bring a five litre can with me. I'll be bringing oil, coolant and brake fluid. Just bought a foot pump so we can change tyre pressures through the day. Will be packing a tool kit too.

Thanks for the tip Owelly, will be fitting the DB killer, or at least taking it with me.

See you soon.

Cheers

Mike

Krismc

posted on 20/3/06 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
this sounds good but my kit isnt even half built- are spectators aloud??

Id like to come and watch and mybees get a quick passenger ride hint hint !!-- ill be the geordie in the little smart car- ha ha

[Edited on 20/3/06 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Coose

posted on 21/3/06 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote

Spin 'er off Well...

DarrenW

posted on 21/3/06 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Joel - I bet its not far off an hour from Leeds. So far up the A1 you can pick up the A19, that stretch is normally fairly clear. I believe the track is on your side of Middlesborough. How far is it - approx 65 miles? What are you doing engine wise?

I checked the AA website and it said it would be 55 mins from my house (Bishop Auckland)! Ill be driving through Darlington and passed Stockton etc - roads are always busy at that time in morning.

Does anyone know what the noise limit is at Teesside? Im sure my car will be OK as it was very quiet at SVA (approx 93dB). Do the tracks check noise at full revs?

Im quite confident the car is reasonably well set up. Ive done 600 miles now and despite the clutch cable popping off the pedal havent had any problems (touch wood). Tyres, brakes etc are new enough to last out my leisurely ambles around the track. Will change engine oil (running 5W30 at present - need something thicker as it surges a bit when hot) and check gearbox, diff and brakefluid levels.

Mike - sounds like you are getting on well with the engine swap. My fingers are crossed for you.

As far as i know spectators are allowed. Can anyone post basic directions from the A66? Ive regularly travelled to Preston Farm (Peter Barratts and BMW dealer) and Teesside Park before but after that im not sure of the roads.

Cant wait!!!!!

DarrenW

posted on 21/3/06 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Some more info on this link

http://www.petrolhead.me.uk/track_days.htm

107dB

skippad

posted on 21/3/06 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
track dead easy to find, if u just keep thru M'bro on a66 look for football stadium on left, turn right at roundabout (petrol station there) turn left at next roundabout
up that road 500m on left.
Might have look down meself.
Dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 21/3/06 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
107db

Sounds like you could run without a can Darren!!

Mike

Guinness

posted on 22/3/06 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
Darren, there are a few video clips and some photos on Peters website. Look for trackdays and about 3/4 of the way down the page is Langbaugh 30th April, that was last year.

http://www.petrolhead.me.uk/track_days.htm

Gaffer Tape for holding bonnets on and protecting headlamps!
Mike

DarrenW

posted on 23/3/06 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
The maps that are in the link i posted have been updated. Please discard the old ones if you printed them off.

Just sussed out how to fit video camera to the roll bar - gaffer tape the small tripod to the roll bar. Will do a trial run today. My only concern is that the tripod only secures the camera with about 4 threads. Will also cable tie camera to tripod just in case.

Cheers,
Darren.

[Edited on 23/3/06 by DarrenW]

JoelP

posted on 23/3/06 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
usual trackdays (this one doesnt sound usual though!) they will check you camera mount specifically before you go out, im sure tape isnt normally allowed but maybe they will be lax here - not always a good thing though!
Benzine

posted on 26/3/06 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Is it possible to watch this event? I live in Teesside

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

JoelP

posted on 26/3/06 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
id guess so, seeing as drivers can bring passengers. Im good to go now, car drives ok, just the battery is completely screwed, my booster pack is now dead, and my jump leads missing
Benzine

posted on 26/3/06 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
id guess so, seeing as drivers can bring passengers. I

Cool, any idea on the best time to turn up to watch cars burning round the track? I don't know if the cars get there a long time before any driving is done (preparation etc)

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

JoelP

posted on 26/3/06 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
i believe its 9am on track, after an 830 briefing. Just hope i make it, damn cars gone tits up.
Benzine

posted on 27/3/06 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome cars Nice to meet you, Guinness. I had to head off pretty soon after I got there to get back for a lecture which was a shame. How did the rest of the day go? Wasn't sure how long it went on for

JoelP

posted on 27/3/06 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
a great day, just a shame about the rain. Not the end of the world though, i suspect in the dry i would've pushed too hard and broken something. Plus i was on r888s and grip was dubious! Not as bad as you might expect though, mostly just aquaplaning over puddles rather than excesesive slipping on the rest.

When did you leave benzine, i only arrived around 12pm!

Benzine

posted on 27/3/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
When did you leave benzine, i only arrived around 12pm!

Around 10am, left just before 11 I think

Guinness

posted on 27/3/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Great day out. Nice to put faces to names. Must to either another track day or a run out again soon.

Benzine, sorry I didn't stop to talk, but I had a head on trying to fix the oil leak. Luckily Yvonne went to a bike dealer in Newcastle, picked up the o ring and drove it down for me. Meant I got out for the afternoon session.

Lots of spins, not a lot of traction, loads of tail out power slides! The joy of R888's in pouring rain!

Joel, glad you made it. There were only 4 BEC's there!

Mike

P.S. Remember that the NE7ER's will be meeting on Wednesday night at the Church Mouse in Chester-le-Street.

Benzine

posted on 27/3/06 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
Benzine, sorry I didn't stop to talk, but I had a head on trying to fix the oil leak. Luckily Yvonne went to a bike dealer in Newcastle, picked up the o ring and drove it down for me. Meant I got out for the afternoon session.

No problem, glad to hear you sorted the oil problem

owelly

posted on 27/3/06 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
JoelP? Did I ignore you or didn't I see you? Sincere apologies either way!!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

JoelP

posted on 28/3/06 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
i saw you but i think you didnt recognise me! No worries, there were undoubtedly loads of people i should've said hi to too!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.