Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: mk indy project
autotrader

posted on 6/9/06 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
mk indy project

how hard is it to build an mk indy considering i have no mechanical experience?
is it possible or am i wasting my time?
how long should i expect it to take me to build?
any advice greatly appreciated!!!
barry from ireland

Guinness

posted on 6/9/06 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Barry

Welcome to the forum. You'd be able to build an Indy! ANY questions, just ask 'em on here. We've all been there and got most of the issues solved!

My previous experience involved 2 years as a cycle mechanic (the pedal sort, not the motorbike!), minor mechanical interferring with bangers I used to drive when I was 17-20! (Changing oil, air filters, spark plugs and occasionally brakes or alternator).

As for how long to build? Depends if you have a wife / girlfriend / job / social life. I started stripping my donor in May 04 and finished the SVA / registration process in Nov of 05. That was working an hour or two, two or three evenings a week, plus half day at weekend.

Spending a long time building allows you to spend money over a long time too! Depends on your budget, if you can afford to buy all the gear at once then you'll definately be quicker. I had a set amount to spend each month.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Any chance of some free adverts in your magazine?

Cheers

Mike

JamJah

posted on 6/9/06 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Building an MK or GTS (a kit...) is realistic. Imade the mistake of going by the book, whichis a huge learning curve particulary if you dont strip the vechile.

If you have a donor you know wherethings wentandroughtly how they interconnect, that coupled with the support that the many companys provide is priceless.

donut

posted on 6/9/06 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
I had no mechanical experience and it took me a year to build my 1st one. They are pretty easy to put together and this forum is superb for advice.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 6/9/06 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
See also the replies to when you asked the question last week!

Link

Hellfire

posted on 6/9/06 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
We had very little mechanical knowledge when we built our first Indy. Come to think of it, we still have very little mechanical knowledge even though we've now built two.

Have a read of our build and rebuild diaries by clicking the link to our website below. It should give you some idea of what's involved in building an MK.

Lastly, let me talk to you about bike engines and the reasons why you really must install one..............

Phil

[Edited on 6-9-06 by Hellfire]

StevieB

posted on 6/9/06 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not far into the build of my Indy, and not much more than mechanical experience . It's really easy going - every time I get to a frustrating bit, I close the garage up and either log onto this site or just sit and ponder what to do.

Just take your time and rresearch each bit as you go and you can't go too far wrong.

Hammerhead

posted on 6/9/06 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
i was in this situation a year ago. I read some build diaries (go to the links section) MK indt zetecs is good as is hellfires. My advice is to use a single donor car as a basis and don't try and be a clever sod like me and try and make your own bodywork etc!!

Welcome.

DarrenW

posted on 6/9/06 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Lastly, let me talk to you about bike engines and the reasons why you really must install one..............

Phil

[Edited on 6-9-06 by Hellfire]

Did you go for a bec Phil. I never knew that! Any good????? Ive heard they arent a patch on a proper engined car

The good thing about BECs is that you get a better choice of jacket to wear, and they lok great when wearing shorts! Ive not found a decent Pinto jacket yet

Hellfire

posted on 6/9/06 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
You know you want a BEC, I know you want a BEC, so just rip that boat anchor out, stick a bike engine in and have done.

Lets take a look at the pro's and con's, I think you'll find they speak for themselves. This is a DEFINITIVE list by the way, so don't feel free to add to it

Pro’s

1 Performance - Standard bike engine and gearbox = more bhp/kg than your standard car engine and gearbox (in the vast majority of cases) which makes for awesome acceleration
2 Superb noise
3 Advanced Technology. How many normally aspirated 1,200cc car engines do you know that produce 180 Bhp?
4 Lightweight & compact= Easier to handle and no need for special lifting gear
5 Mechanically, they are easier to maintain. Clutch changes etc
6 Cheaper Vehicle Excise Duty (Tax, to you and me)
7 Far cheaper import tax (In case you ever consider emigrating to somewhere like……… Cyprus)
8 Smaller & easier to clean – therefore more environmentally friendly
9 You get a better choice of jacket to wear and apparently they look great with shorts (According to DarrenW)

Con’s

1 Standard bike engine is likely to be more expensive than your standard car engine
1a Can’t think of any more

So there you have it. Cheers

Phil

StevenB

posted on 6/9/06 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Barry,

I have just started an MK build and I dont have the first clue. Ive only changed one set of brake pads in my life...spanner in one hand....manual in other.

The info on here is superb.
If you find a car similar in spec to your intended spec... use the search function to find all the posts by the builder.

Where in ireland are you ?..and following on from the none to subtle persuasion going on above .....what engine are you looking at?

cheers
s

StevieB

posted on 6/9/06 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Con’s

1 Standard bike engine is likely to be more expensive than your standard car engine

But there again, a bike engine comes with a 6 speed sequential gearbox, so add that to the price of a car engine - lot's cheaper!

phoenix70

posted on 6/9/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Con’s

Con's

2 .. Noisy at motorway speeds (Try driving a 100 miles on a motorway with the engine screaming at 10,000 RPM)

3.. Lack of reverse gear (unless you fit an expense extra)

4.. Very expensive by the time you've made all the mods to make it suit (uprated clutch, dry sump etc.)

5 .. Savage power delivery (180BHP out of 1200cc engine, that all appears a 8000rpm in one big lump)

Not trying to sound too negative RE bec's, but there are a few pit falls a novice needs to know about

Crazy Jay

posted on 6/9/06 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Well steven, hows the build going?
JoelP

posted on 6/9/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phoenix70
quote:
Con’s

Con's

2 .. Noisy at motorway speeds (Try driving a 100 miles on a motorway with the engine screaming at 10,000 RPM)

3.. Lack of reverse gear (unless you fit an expense extra)

4.. Very expensive by the time you've made all the mods to make it suit (uprated clutch, dry sump etc.)

5 .. Savage power delivery (180BHP out of 1200cc engine, that all appears a 8000rpm in one big lump)

Not trying to sound too negative RE bec's, but there are a few pit falls a novice needs to know about

lets stick to facts then!

the noise in mine is all exhaust, not specifically the revs.

Reverse gear is a minor requirement to me, i can push mine alone up the slope of my drive, even with sticking brakes.

My zx9 was very cheap to fit. £300 for the engine, 50 for the sump (car engines often need a chopped sump) and £50 for the sprocket adapter. Car engines still need an exhaust and prop, so the £600 that those cost doesnt count as such.

And the biggy, the power delivery is not at all in one lump! Its as wide as could be! Pulls well from 1k revs - and goes on and on!

So bike engines have far fewer cons than you might expect. The worst draw back to me is the low rotational momentum, it stall so easily you have to be forever careful on the clutch pedal in traffic.

Ease of maintainace? Nearly everything (including removing the whole engine!) is a simple hand job . Clutch? Half an hour with no heavy lifting. Minter.

Wadders

posted on 6/9/06 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Cons of a BEC

1- Makes your eyeballs bleed, due to savage acceleration.
2- Makes the corners of your mouth ache, due to a) see above. b) laughing at cec owners disappearing in your rear view mirror.

zetec

posted on 6/9/06 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Do your best to try and get to look and drive both a car engine and bike engine car fitted with engines which fall into your price bracket....Dont get caught up in MK/GTS/Locost Top Trumps.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

Crazy Jay

posted on 6/9/06 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Autotrader, You can have a look at my car sometime, tho I see your from Galway (well thats wat ur email addy says ) i'm sure if u check out some of the irish kitcar sites you'll find someone nearer by.
Oh...and go bike engine

autotrader

posted on 7/9/06 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
wow thanks for all the replies
still figuring this web site out as one user pointed out i posted the same question last week but i couldnt find the answers!!
lol!!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.