Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stainless steel wool
David Jenkins

posted on 16/10/06 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Stainless steel wool

I'm trying to find some stainless steel to use as the first layer in a repacked exhaust.

Trouble is, I'm trying to buy it in Ipswich, which really isn't the place to buy out-of-the-ordinary stuff...

So, can anyone suggest the sort of outlet I should be visiting? In other words, who uses this stuff and what sort of shop would they buy it from? I tried local plumbing supply shops, but all I got was a "dur..." response.

Today is likely to be the only nice day all week, so I want to get this silencer rebuilt so I can go out and drive...

David

Agriv8

posted on 16/10/06 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
B&Q sell it but usure of how much you would need for an exhaust or what size pack they sell. I am sure other DIY superstores stock somthing

It is usually with the paint preperation stuff ( its used for rubbing down wood before varnich / painting ) or between coats to provide a Key .

A good hardware store would be a safe bet but from your posts you seem to be short of them. Any good woodworking shop would be a good bet

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

JohnN

posted on 16/10/06 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Wire wool is commonly available, plumbers merchants would be the cheapest.

However, where you could get stainless wire wool, I don't know - but would be interested to hear.

Agriv8

posted on 16/10/06 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
OOppss - didn't See the 'Stainles' Bit

Never come across that variant well not in DIY shops anywhay
regards

Agirv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

DaveFJ

posted on 16/10/06 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
What does our Paul (907) use to pack his? probably worth a U2U ?

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

David Jenkins

posted on 16/10/06 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Spoke to him yesterday - he doesn't use it in his silencers.

It has to be stainless, otherwise it'll rust and burn away. It does exist 'cos it's in all the on-line repacking guides... it's just that I can't find any.

David

Kissy

posted on 16/10/06 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure whether s/s will behave any better than mild steel - if not it will be blown out on the first run. Just use the proper wadding - Powerspeed is Ashford, Kent can oblige, so can Merlin Motorsport and Demon Tweeks, but they ain't cheap
r3nuf

posted on 16/10/06 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
David, I have just spoken to New Gases on Martlesham Heath , thinking they might be able to help you.

No joy there though, they suggested a mail order company in Wales. But weren't anymore specific.

Cheers Gary

Drive Fast....Brake Late....Take Chances

DaveFJ

posted on 16/10/06 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
This is the stuff you want - don't know where would stock it though...

link

perhaps try the old 'send me a sample' scam ?

HTH

[Edited on 16/10/06 by DaveFJ]

Dave

DaveFJ

posted on 16/10/06 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
just found a supplier

link

not to expensive either

enjoy

Dave

Peteff

posted on 16/10/06 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
There's a link to Milner's in the links section on the site

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Phil.J

posted on 16/10/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just for info. Daryll Stanniforth Motorsport (yes, son of Alan) in Yorkshire sells it. Havn't got any contact info. in front of me at the moment I'm afraid.
ATB
Phil

stevebubs

posted on 16/10/06 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
got mine from Merlin...wasn't that expensive....
stevebubs

posted on 16/10/06 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
How much do you need, BTW - I still have most of the roll left...
zetec7

posted on 16/10/06 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Around these parts, it's sold in grocery stores for household cleaning, pot-and-pans scouring, that sort of thing....cheap!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 16/10/06 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
dunno muc habout this but know that wire wool burns quite nicely?

what about using those soft metal pan scrubbers? think those are stainless but much chunkier than wooland maybe not as restrictive?

paulf

posted on 16/10/06 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
I used some fine stainless gauze that I had lying around and secured it around the perforated tube with stainless tie wraps. This seems to have cured the problem that i had of burning the wadding away in a week or so.
I also found a good source of basalt wool, after I had packed mine with some that I had been given from an exhaust manufacturer I noticed a large roll off identical looking material in the skip at work . It turned out to be a fire blanket used to insulate a flue in the roof space and was brand new as left over. I removed it from the skip and now have enough to repack my silencer dozens of times.
Paul.

David Jenkins

posted on 18/10/06 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Had a fairly hysterical phone conversation with Wunoff this morning - I'd emailed a query, they'd responded, and I'd read it that they had it in 3 foot widths... odd, but fair enough. When I spoke he said that I'd probably need 2 metres to do the job - how much!?

Then I re-read the email... it comes in 3" widths, not 3'

Order placed, thanks for all the help.

BTW: I found a good site that explained why stainless wool was used - it's to prevent the erosion of the wadding by the hot gasses whizzing by, rather than to prevent burning. Although the exhaust gasses are very hot in the silencer, they shouldn't be hot enough to directly burn the wire wool. However, it does eventually get eroded by the gasses, just not quite as fast.

David

Schrodinger

posted on 18/10/06 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
with mild steel wool it is probably oxidizing very quickly.
BTW there is a place at the back of Morrisons in Ipswich that sells all sorts fasteners and tools that I would have tried (Suffolk Fasteners IIRC) they sell in any quantity you need and are very reasonable

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.