Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: towing using a dolly
bob tatt

posted on 20/2/08 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
towing using a dolly

as it says really has anyone done this with a seven type car and what were the experiences going to be doing a lot of track days this year and ideally space permiting id get a trailer but i simply dont have the room for one so was thinking about a towing dolly all comments good or bad would be greatky received many thanks rob
rusty nuts

posted on 20/2/08 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Been covered recently . Illegal to use except for recovery purposes IIRC
Richard Quinn

posted on 20/2/08 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thats what I thought. However, tonight I saw a motorhome towing a 2 seater Blitz type buggy on one. Looked like a regular setup judging by the way that it used the car rear lights etc instead of a lighting board
owelly

posted on 20/2/08 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Illegal.
If any of the towed vehicles are touching the road it has to be fully road legal.
If you are using an A-frame or dolly, it has to be classed as a trailer and as such, if it's total possible weight (that's the weight fully loaded even if it's not) exceeds 750kg than it has to be fitted with dedicated trailer spec anti reverse brakes. Cars and such don't have these brakes so even folks who have the towed vehicle brake pedal linked to the over run brakes on the coupling, are breaking the law.
Many folks use A-frames and dollies, but as previously mentioned, they are 'for recovery to a safe place only'. If you car is not fully road legal, a triler is the only option.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GregSL75

posted on 20/2/08 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Blitz buggy probably has a MAM under 750kg only production car that fits the bill is an AIXAM.

Even a Mini has a maximum mass over 750kg.

When you SVA a Locost do you provide that info / have a chassis plate with it on? Is the car under 750kg (BEC?)

[Edited on 20/2/08 by GregSL75]

2.0 XE on GSXR TBs and Megasquirt

billynomates

posted on 20/2/08 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Just make sure your towing it with a yellow V.W transporter with the letters AA in big black capitals. You'll be reet as rain.
skidmark

posted on 21/2/08 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Mmmm Interesting..

I've just bought a car dolly off ebay to take my car up to MK engineering for an exhaust to be made up (didn't fancy paying to hire a trailer twice) and then sell on later. Wasn't aware it might be illegal!

My car is already SVA'd and insured but not taxed (SORN whilst changing the engine) but guess I could tax it. And obviously has no exhaust ( I could always claim it fell off and I was 'recovering' the car! )

I'll let you now if I have any problems (going up on 1st March with any luck!)

triafgg

posted on 21/2/08 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
I've used mine many times to take my seven to track days. It works brilliantly, tows better than any trailer I've ever used. As for the legality, probably not but if you are driving sensibly and take care you should be OK. It will only take one idiot however to kill someone whilst using a dolly to focus police attention and ruin it for the rest of us. Same old story though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.