Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diesel engine gearbox
lukefab

posted on 24/3/08 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Diesel engine gearbox

Hi all,
Short and sweet question.
Will the ford type 9 gearbox fit a Sierra diesel engine without too many problems?

Thanks

Keith

blakep82

posted on 24/3/08 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
sierra diesel clutch plate is used to mount to a a vauxhall engine.... so i assume so with the right bellhousing

ooh, i think it might just be one particular engine size though

[Edited on 24/3/08 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

bigrich

posted on 24/3/08 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
1.8td sierra had a type9 as standard (long input shaft version). so yes it can

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

Chippy

posted on 24/3/08 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Only type 9's that will fit diesel engines, are the ones that come from the deisels, and the V6 box, as you need the extended shaft. Ray

Doh! must learn to type faster.

[Edited on 24-3-08 by Chippy]

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

lukefab

posted on 25/3/08 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the answers, I thought there was a difference, but didn't know what it was.

Thanks again for your help.

Keith

MKMike

posted on 25/3/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using a type-9 of a 1.8td sierra for a zetec, it seems to fit (eventhough I haven#

Is the shaft length ok for this?

rusty nuts

posted on 25/3/08 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MKMike
I'm using a type-9 of a 1.8td sierra for a zetec, it seems to fit (eventhough I haven#

Is the shaft length ok for this?

First gear may be very low. Petrol type 9s have a low enough first.

snapper

posted on 25/3/08 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Not much information on the diesel type 9 but from what i can gather they can cope with 155 ft/lbs of torque 145 bhp the V6 box a little more.
The ratios as far as i can tell on the diesel derivative has a very low first about 3.9 to 1 first, standard ratios 2nd 3rd 4th and a long 0.8 5th gear.
It also has the longer input shaft so if fitting to the Pinto or Zetec needs the Caterham spacer between box and bellhousing.
It is one of the least ideal ratios available in type 9 format, unless you are running a 3.38 or 3.14 diff or cartwheels then 1st will be next to useless, if you use the 3.38 or 3.14 diff with an engine with a 7000 red line or less then 5th and even 4th will be way to long.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

NS Dev

posted on 25/3/08 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
........and another fact for the pop pickers, though i've never seen it said by anybody other than me on here, is that the sierra 2.3 diesel box had bigger and stronger cast bronze selector forks. I have had both types side by side and the ones from the diesel box are considerably bigger.

unfortunately I gave them to a mate for his tran-x box in his rally car as his need was greater so have no photos!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

MKMike

posted on 26/3/08 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
I have the Zetec and the gearbox bolted together at the moment (temporary for making engine mounts etc. with no spiggot bearing) and it seems to fit just fine without spacers or clutch.

will there be a problem when I fit the bearing and the clutch?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.