Board logo

Donnington meet
splitrivet - 31/8/04 at 09:05 AM

Other than you guys camping whereabouts/time/day is everyone meeting at donnington.
Cheers,
Bob

ned - 31/8/04 at 09:24 AM

normally midday at mk's stand or the bar..

shortie - 31/8/04 at 09:37 AM

I am going up Saturday so would like to meet up with a few of you guys.

Rich.

bob - 31/8/04 at 07:02 PM

I like the idea of the bar but lolocosts van of parts is normaly parked just outside the entrance and could be a good meeting point before going in

JoelP - 31/8/04 at 09:40 PM

im there sat too, from probably 11 on. I'll just keep an eye out for familiar faces i guess! 12 by lolocost sounds good, cos theres always a crowd round the mk stand, and i cant be arsed with the bar at that time of day!

bob - 31/8/04 at 09:56 PM

11 sounds good to me as i'll be in the bar at 12

splitrivet - 1/9/04 at 08:41 AM

So 11 by lolocraps then and 12 at the bar
See you there.
Cheers,
Bob

Micael - 1/9/04 at 12:02 PM

Well I'm of to the airport. See you guys at Lolocost at 11. (If i find my way there)

Jasper - 1/9/04 at 07:27 PM

Have a great weekend chaps - gutted to miss it (looks like the weather may be better too) - gonna be in sunny Boston.......

bob - 1/9/04 at 07:37 PM

Have a tea party while your there

ASH3 - 1/9/04 at 07:40 PM

Jasper i live in Boston sure as been a
sunny one today.You get this way often with the kita.
Theres gettin one or two of us about the town now but dont know any of them.

Big Stu - 2/9/04 at 07:22 AM

Is there anything on Sunday as I am driving passed donnington. Is it worth poping in?

Steve Lovelock - 3/9/04 at 05:45 AM

Are any of you guys going in a locost with fitted with a Vauxhall 16V engine by chance? It's just that I would really like to study a live example prior to my build and this weekend seems like a good opportunity to do that. I am planning to go on Saturday.

Steve

Jasper - 3/9/04 at 10:48 AM

ASH3 - that'll be Boston, Massachusets, not Boston, Lincs!!

mackie - 3/9/04 at 11:06 AM

Is anyone taking their car out on track tomorrow?
I'm wondering if they will be selling the single session tickets so I can take my Puma out
It says on the site that passenger tickets are £30 or something. Seems a bit off seeing as they were £5 last year :/

loafersmate - 3/9/04 at 12:08 PM

Single 20min sessions are £35 and passengers are £5 as last year. Aparently they are nearly all booked up so I'm gonna be there first thing banging on the gates to get my ticket!!

Ben

mackie - 3/9/04 at 12:18 PM

So there are a limited number of passanger passes?
I also don't have a helmet yet.. arse.

James - 3/9/04 at 12:53 PM

Mackie,

Donnington is really well organised- in fact so much so I suspect that you could probably only get away with 4-6people per 2 seater car and with none of them having paid!
Put it this way- been to Donny 2 or 3 times now and on the track every time and I've not needed a pass yet!

Cheers,

James

James - 3/9/04 at 12:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mackie
Is anyone taking their car out on track tomorrow?

Not got one to take out unforutnately!

On the plus side though, Jasper's away and I'm pretty sure he *meant* to offer to lend me his for the duration. So I'm picking it up this evening ready for a day long gearbox
t(h?)rashing session tomorrow.
Thanks Jasp!

Cheers,

James

[Edited on 3/9/04 by James]

ned - 3/9/04 at 01:07 PM

James,

We'd better take my car then, I've got a towbar on it, does jasper still have a trailer?

Ned.

mackie - 3/9/04 at 01:11 PM

Ooooh James, you git!
Are you taking it on the track then or just enjoying the drive up?

Are people arriving tomorrow morning or going up tonight?
Will probably come up with my friend Dan and camp saturday with plenty of booze and burgers hopefully.

James - 3/9/04 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ned
James,

We'd better take my car then, I've got a towbar on it, does jasper still have a trailer?

Ned.

Tonight I'll weld up a towball mounted frame to lift his front wheels off the ground - it'll tow pretty easy that way.

Disabling the immobiliser (somehow the dozy so-and-so forgot to bring the keys round!) will be harder but I'm sure a pair of wire cutters will soon sort that!

James

Jasper - 4/9/04 at 11:14 AM

Enjoys boys !!!

Viper - 4/9/04 at 06:34 PM

Well back from the show.
Twas a goodun
Sorry i missed that last beer Bob,
Cheers Pat for the blast in your Avon.
Mr Ison, Donington Park would like all its Kitty Litter back
Hope you lot staying tonight drink and eat too much
Good to see all you guys .

alister667 - 4/9/04 at 10:04 PM

Yous are making me jealous. I must get my arse over to the mainland sometime and meet up with some of you.
Mind you I am off to another trackday at Kirkistown tomorrow. Can't wait - I've got the track tires on for it - it's a GTI club trackday - I can't see too many GTI golfs keeping up

As long as it stays dry!!

Rob Lane - 5/9/04 at 11:52 AM

I thought the whole show a rip-off.

No real parts stands, plenty of manufacturers, yes.
Stafford or Newark were three times better.

£10 for driver and passenger and then shunted off to far end of grass car park.

No real display area that would attract anyone (not just Locost).

Organisers must have received a good offer from Caterham and Westfield to give them pride of place right outside hall!

What happened to original area ? It was given over to general parking, that's what!

It was a kit car show for Gods sake, why did they shunt everyone off away from hall area.

Martin at MK and others were saying it had gone over top on costs. Martin tried to talk to organisers but they had time for no-one.

Apparently ALL the cars for track failed the morning noise test, it was set so low.
Turns out there are two types of track day, quiet and noisy. Noisy costs more for organiser. Guess what the event organisers had paid for?

blueshift - 5/9/04 at 12:35 PM

I had a good time, got some sun, insulted some cars, drank some beers, bought some tools, met some people.

Ferg - 5/9/04 at 02:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
Apparently ALL the cars for track failed the morning noise test, it was set so low.

Not quite. One manufacturers car passed the noise test...the TeamGTM 1.6 Libra, but the readings were being taken from the wrong place. Once corrected the V6 and most of the other cars passed.

theconrodkid - 5/9/04 at 04:15 PM

think the show was a bit naff this year,orginisation was non existant and i cot charged to take my car in,free last year.wasnt the only one either,someone was coming round canversing opinions and it seems lots wernt happy

Deckman001 - 5/9/04 at 05:28 PM

I had an ok time, got lots of bits i needed, but the organisation left alot to be desired !! The club area outside was a complete mess, cos we all had to camp in the same area!! and as for only having one toilet block for the camping area, and even that ran out of power in the evening and filled up beyond use by morning!!!!! the only other place to 'go' was about half a mile away, past the entrance to the halls !!

Rant over

Jason

OX - 5/9/04 at 06:32 PM

well it was an ok day for me ,got the stuff i wanted and put a few names to faces ,bob,james ,shortie,ned and jon.i saw conrod but didnt get chance to say hello.
weather was nice and didnt spend much money woohoo

bob - 5/9/04 at 08:34 PM

nice to meet a shed load of people as usual,was good to catch up deanC saturday and the rest of lads that camped.
Big thanks to deckman for chaufering me there and back and company was good in the evening

bob - 5/9/04 at 08:38 PM

The Show

there were bits to be had,but its not a proper show.
Badly organised club areas,anyone would think westfield and cateram were the only 7's in existance.

And wheres the autojumble gone ?

we need a new show i think,or maybe a new organiser

James - 5/9/04 at 08:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Enjoys boys !!!

Who does?

Anyway, cheers for the loan of the car Jasper- I knew you'd only forgotten to mention you wanted me to keep it ticking over for you.
Did you a favour too- discovered (having gone to all the effort of cutting out that pointless immobiliser wiring) that there was something wrong with the engine and it wouldn't start. So we ripped out that little Japanese starter motor you had in there and fitted a nice 1600 Pinto that I had kicking around- I hope you're greatful!

Had a great time with it- and I've returned it to yours 'substantially' intact. Was a pity about that slight 'event' with the tyre wall at the end of the main straight but I'm sure that corner of the chassis will pull out eventually.... and fortunately Lolocost do a lovely (and cheap!) nosecone you can replace yours with.
Oh, and I found your tyres were crap too- we only managed 15/20 minutes of donuts before they were gone completely! Good thing I was there to check them out for you!

--

Other than that I wasn't that impressed with the show. Best thing about it was meeting so many LB'ers:

Conrod, Bob, Ned, Matt, Mackie, Blueshift, Deckman, GasGasGas, SteveO, Shorty, Splitrivet, Dick Axtell, Viper, Marcus, Ox, DeanC, Jim Giblett, saw Bass around too. Saw Ash3's car but didn't see him!

Usual collection of manufacturers and sellers. Other than that nothing special.

I did like the engine's on Webcon's stand- some great throttle body stuff to copy for doing my own!

Bob,
How do you fancy organising a southern show? August is disctinctly short on show's. I reckon you could fit something in the middle of Stoke Park, Guildford a treat!

Cheers,

James

[Edited on 5/9/04 by James]

James - 5/9/04 at 09:04 PM

As for the track day- I reckon those that didn't bother this year missed out:

Last year when I was down in the pits the whole thing was packed out with cars and drivers and there was a 10/20 car queue to get on for each session. This year I counted about 10 cars total on track plus the few manufacturer demonstators.

You'd have had an empty track this year!

James

bob - 5/9/04 at 09:11 PM

Bob,
How do you fancy organising a southern show? August is disctinctly short on show's. I reckon you could fit something in the middle of Stoke Park, Guildford a treat!

Cheers,

James

Jimbo,when you have children and they are at school you will find that august is your busiest month,apart from that NO

Organising a show would be like the imposible,you cant please all.

theconrodkid - 6/9/04 at 07:51 AM

spoke to a lady from a club who was having a straw poll,she was thinking of doing a show run by the clubs not a money making company,santa pod was mentioned so watch this space

ned - 6/9/04 at 08:46 AM

right, so who was it that took the pic of us enjoying our bbq and booze, and why hasn't it been posted up yet

Ned.

[Edited on 6/9/04 by ned]

theconrodkid - 6/9/04 at 08:50 AM

i got a couple ned but dunno how to post so ill mail them to ya

ned - 6/9/04 at 08:53 AM

john,

i'm not picking up my locobuilder email at the mo, i'll u2u you another address..

Ned.

Jasper - 6/9/04 at 11:39 AM

James - glad you enjoyed the car - good to have a nice bit of British cast iron under the bonnet now -

I'm not suprise the organisation was rubbish again this year - it was terrible last year.

While organising a show with trade stands would be quite hard - and costly - it seems the things a lot of people want is a good place to meet up and camp overnight - along with a bit of track action. So why not organise a track day and use a local camp site overnight? Llandau (though it is in south Wales), is a good little track to hire, they willl organise all the necessaries like marshals and St. Johns, and has a basic camp site as well, all you need is about 30 odd cars and it will work out about £99 for the day.

bob - 6/9/04 at 06:44 PM

The debate on donington seems to be going on elsewhere,regarding prices and the dreadfull facilities or lack of for campers.

http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=4753

I think the robin hood lads n lass's have a good idea on this,maybe some constructive critisism could be typed off to sally mitchel the limelight exhibitions organiser.

They mention the Harrogate show improving,i attended the exeter show for the first time last year (also organised by the same people as Harogate)and found it to be the best one i'd visited in 2003.

I reckon its a people power thing and will only improve if a lot of people voice some constructive critisism to limelight,it can only help them in the future.

Jasper - 6/9/04 at 08:33 PM

I sent off an email to Sally after last year - never got a response.

bob - 6/9/04 at 10:22 PM

Well maybe on mass something might happen this time,2 years ago i complained about the toilets and showers on site.

I sometimes think we are better off booking out a camp site for a night or two once a year,bar-b-q friday night and big night out saturday or whatever.

Nice to have stands but most things can be bought on the net/phone,i think its auto jumbles locosters need anyway.

James - 7/9/04 at 08:20 AM

Forgot to say earlier:

Thanks to Jason and Paul for the discounted entry to the show on the Sunday! Didn't get to actually see you in there to say thanks.

Cheers,

James

ned - 7/9/04 at 08:57 AM

ditto james above. £10 for saturday entry, waited for the marshalls to go before moving hte car to the campsite, then blagged our way in using a borrowed ticket on sunday and didn't pay for the camping. who said it can't be done for £250?

Ned.

Dick Axtell - 8/9/04 at 08:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Micael
Well I'm of to the airport. See you guys at Lolocost at 11. (If i find my way there)/quote]
So where did you get to, Micael? We waited nearly an hour, but no sign.
Did you make it? Would be interested to hear your impressions of the show.

bob - 8/9/04 at 11:55 AM

Yes and the company,thanks very much for that

Micael - 8/9/04 at 02:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
quote:
Well I'm of to the airport. See you guys at Lolocost at 11. (If i find my way there)/quote]
So where did you get to, Micael? We waited nearly an hour, but no sign.
Did you make it? Would be interested to hear your impressions of the show.

Yepp I did find my way there, had Sat/nav in the rental car

I've arrived about 2 pm on saturday and left about 4.30. I manage to forget the phone number to John. So I could't find you guys.

I hooverd around Jon Isons GT1 for a while in a desperate try to see if I could recognize any of you. But after a while people start to stare at me.

If anyone saw a fat guy in a green John Deere T-shirt it was me

However I think that the show was a bit small. But i have never seen som much sevens in one place.

I took some pictures which can be seen Here

ned - 8/9/04 at 02:41 PM

well, you can't have missed us by much, you have a pic of the mk gtr with james sitting in it, conrod with his back to you and blueshift and matt claydon in the picture. Mackie and I can't have been two far away.. http://www.amanfamily.se/bilen/DSC00154.jpg

maybe next time you'll know what we look like and not miss us all when you're 2m away from us

Ned.

[Edited on 8/9/04 by ned]

Micael - 8/9/04 at 03:11 PM

hmmm... To bad

Next time I promise not to forget the phone number.

theconrodkid - 8/9/04 at 04:07 PM

micael,you got a pic of my bald spot,i was wearing the black kalashnikov t shirt standing next to the MK gtr? with james in the seat

Hellfire - 8/9/04 at 04:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
micael,you got a pic of my bald spot,i was wearing the black kalashnikov t shirt standing next to the MK gtr? with james in the seat

I thought that was just the way the lights were situated Conrod

Dick Axtell - 8/9/04 at 04:34 PM

quote:
If anyone saw a fat guy in a green John Deere T-shirt it was me...

Yes - I saw that T-shirt!! Wondered why a John Deere fan would visit a kit-car show.
If I remember correctly, you were wearing spectacles - yes?

The really big show tends to be at Stoneleigh, around end of April, early May.

bob - 8/9/04 at 04:54 PM

Yep Stoneleigh may bank holiday,sunday monday show.Probably the biggest for trade stands

James - 8/9/04 at 05:37 PM

Well Micael, you certainly weren't far away from us...

I'm in three of your pictures (it's me sitting in the blue&yellow MK), as is Blueshift, Matt Claydon and TheConrodKid!

You should have asked MK or Jon Ison if any of us were around!

Oh well, sorry to have missed you,

James

EDIT: Oh balls! Should have checked I was at the end of the thread before replying! Sorry!

[Edited on 8/9/04 by James]

Micael - 9/9/04 at 07:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
quote:
If anyone saw a fat guy in a green John Deere T-shirt it was me...

Yes - I saw that T-shirt!! Wondered why a John Deere fan would visit a kit-car show.
If I remember correctly, you were wearing spectacles - yes?

The really big show tends to be at Stoneleigh, around end of April, early May.

I'm not really a John Deere fan, but I found it in the states and couldn't resist to buy it

I don't wear spectacles, but I took lot of pictures so maby it was my digicam you saw

Then I have to go to Stoneleigh then.
A couple of Locosters here in Sweden are talkning about travel UK and go to one of the shows and Stoneleigh seems to be just right in time.

Micael