Board logo

buying square tubing?
marshall - 17/5/09 at 05:02 PM

ok i was thinking were is the best place to get 16g 1 inch x 1 inch square tubing from. I am in somerset.... how much will i need for a 7 car.and what will it cost.Ron type car....

BenB - 17/5/09 at 05:15 PM

There are (or certainly used to be) chassis kits for sale with all the bits ready cut.

I usually buy my metal from B+Q (rubbish quality and really expensive) or metalsupermarket (better quality but also expensive).....

wrigglypig - 17/5/09 at 05:29 PM

Have a look in your local yellow pages for steel stockists. We have one near us and they will sell you the tubes that have been damaged usually on the end ( and they are 6m long ) they charge £10 each for them. The other thing you can do is look for local maufacturers of office furniture my local one were selling 25 x 25 to me at £15 for a 6m length.

Kev

MakeEverything - 17/5/09 at 05:52 PM

no, no, no,no, no. B&Q?

Go to your local engineering workshop and get them to order it in for you. Or buy a kit from Armoto Engineering pre-cut. Makes life a hell of a lot easier.

R.

Badger_McLetcher - 17/5/09 at 07:32 PM

I was gonna use these guys, bought a load of steel off them a couple of years back when I was restoring a mini and making armour, was quite reasonable. Dunno what they're like now, but may be worth a look if they're not too far away from you.

[Edited on 17/5/09 by Badger_McLetcher]

aerosam - 17/5/09 at 09:00 PM

making armour? bizzare.

Anyway here's another vote for local steel stockists. When I called mine and told him what I wanted it for he was very helpful, and he's keeping me loads of offcuts of 3mm plate for all my mounting brackets.

Badger_McLetcher - 17/5/09 at 09:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aerosam
making armour? bizzare.

My other hobby though my unit isn't in that vid until about 5:08.
Another place to try for metals may be http://www.metals4u.co.uk/, never used them myself but a friend has and he said they delivered quickly.

[Edited on 17/5/09 by Badger_McLetcher]

iank - 18/5/09 at 07:01 AM

metals4u have a small range and are pretty expensive (sure the quality is fine), metalsupermarkets have a good range, but I'm told they are also expensive.

Hobby friendly metal stockholders are listed here
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/metal-suppliers.htm

Check out the cutting lists here http://mcsorley.net/locost/
to estimate how much you'll need.

Buying a ready cut kit is probably a good compromise between cost and convenience.

907 - 18/5/09 at 05:43 PM

I called in at my local stockholders (Suffolk Steel) today for some sheet and asked the price of 25 x 25 x 1.5 out of curiosity.

£10.65 +vat per 6m length. They have a standard £10 delivery charge.

I would think there's a steel stockholder in most areas.

Cheers
Paul G

Beardy_John - 19/5/09 at 09:24 PM

For what its worth, I had to check the price of 1" 16g steel with a couple of local companies recently for a job at work. One wanted £10.75 + VAT for a 6m length, the other wanted £6 something + VAT for the same length!

It pays to shop around if you have the chance

Rod Ends - 20/5/09 at 04:59 PM

I was looking at Parker Steel prices today and they seem to have nearly halved since i looked a few weeks back.

Beardy_John - 20/5/09 at 08:19 PM

Bloody hell your right Rod Ends, Parkers seem stupidly cheap - 25 x 25 x 1.5mm = £4.97 + VAT for a 6m length !!!!

Roll on pay day

Staple balls - 20/5/09 at 08:53 PM

Blimeh *looks for things to build*

Peteff - 20/5/09 at 09:30 PM

My local stockist charges less if you order more so it pays to measure up for all the other stuff you might want to do at the same time.

Land Locked - 23/5/09 at 04:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Beardy_John
Bloody hell your right Rod Ends, Parkers seem stupidly cheap - 25 x 25 x 1.5mm = £4.97 + VAT for a 6m length !!!!

Thats much cheaper than I get get it in SA, so much so that I'm looking into the cost of shipping!