Board logo

Indy Brake Pedal
Guinness - 21/5/08 at 12:10 PM

I'm converting my clutch over to hydraulic operation at the moment, which means I have my head stuck in the footwell for the first time in ages.

While I'm down there I was considering changing the position of the brake clevis slightly to increase the pedal travel and increase the braking effort.

My MK pedals look to be about 5mm thick steel x 25mm wide / deep (If you know what I mean).

It already has 1 no 8mm hole drilled in the pedal, will drilling another 10-15mm further up weaken the pedal / or even be worthwhile in terms of brake feel?

Cheers

Mike

Bluemoon - 21/5/08 at 12:12 PM

You will want to move the hole down to increase peddle travel.. This would reduce peddle effort...

I would think the extra hole will be fine..

Dan

[Edited on 21/5/08 by Bluemoon]

Guinness - 21/5/08 at 12:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
You will want to move the hole down to increase peddle travel.. This would reduce peddle effort...

Thanks Dan!

That's what I meant, honest!

Mike

ReMan - 21/5/08 at 04:24 PM

I hope so

stevec - 21/5/08 at 06:24 PM

Perhaps fill the other hole with weld, but I think you will be OK anyway.
Steve.

chris_smith - 21/5/08 at 06:33 PM

depends if its floor mounted or not as to which way your going up or down

britishtrident - 21/5/08 at 06:40 PM

Be aware if you make the angle of the pushrod to the cylinder bore has a big effect --- you really can't move the hole by a significant ammount

RobH - 21/5/08 at 07:38 PM

I moved the clevis point on my pedal down about 3/4" and tilted the master cylinder so the push rod was still in line with the direction of the piston travel and it has mad a world of difference to the fell of the brakes (loads better)

Rob

[Edited on 21/5/2008 by RobH]

Bluemoon - 23/5/08 at 08:08 AM

Interesting Rob, the early MK indys had an angle block for the master cylinder, I wonder if this was why?

Dan