Board logo

Looks like its an R1 then
Major Stare - 11/2/09 at 07:39 PM

After reviewing budget and speaking to Yorkshire Engines, i got a call today from Malc.

Looks like a 2003 R1 will becoming my way for the Westfield (goodbye X-flow).

Whats the spec... bhp, torque, max rpm, peak power, etc?

Do i fit the exisiting airbox or pipercross sausage filter?

omega0684 - 11/2/09 at 07:48 PM

pipercross sausage filter and back plate will set you back about £100, airbox of the bay £15,

Hellfire - 11/2/09 at 07:59 PM

Nice choice . The 2003 R1 is a particularly good engine.

150bhp, 77.4ft/lb

Phil

Major Stare - 11/2/09 at 08:15 PM

150bhp.... thats not much !
So long as it beats my mates 954Blade.

Dont want to cut the bonnet to fit the airbox but i know people with Blades who gained 12bhp by removing the sausage filter for an airbox.

Mole - 11/2/09 at 08:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Major Stare

On a <500 kg car?

scootz - 11/2/09 at 10:14 PM

Remember that you're losing a lot of weight by ditching the X-Flow for an R1... then consider that you're losing even more weight by ditching the gearbox.

Factor in the way the engine puts down its power, and... 150bhp will do very nicely!

lsdweb - 11/2/09 at 10:33 PM

Slightly later R1 in 430kg of (ex Pinto engined) single seater - cr*p lines but give you an idea - http://www.kewego.co.uk/video/iLyROoafYqXZ.html />

Wyn

Paul TigerB6 - 11/2/09 at 10:59 PM

quote:

Trust us - it is plenty of power!! I've been out a few times in a 2001 R1 powered Locost recently as a passenger and the performance is phenomenal (and my last car was 173bhp Zetec powered). Thats carrying 80kg of me to weigh the car down too!!

[Edited on 11/2/09 by Paul TigerB6]

speedyxjs - 12/2/09 at 07:04 AM

Nooooooooo Not another BEC

idl1975 - 12/2/09 at 09:18 AM

You just saved 200kg off the weight of the car! How much power do you need?

The R1 puts out more bhp than the 954 in its original installation. In your car it will depend on comparative weights, final drive gearing and how you set up the fuelling.

quote:
So long as it beats my mates 954Blade.

Dont want to cut the bonnet to fit the airbox but i know people with Blades who gained 12bhp by removing the sausage filter for an airbox.

progers - 12/2/09 at 10:16 AM

Don't be put off by "stock" figures. This generation R1 responds particularly well to having a good exhaust (get rid of the crappy exup valve), K&N filter and a remap.

With a well designed manifold you will easily see 160Hp+ form the engine and similar increase in torque. It also has a much better midrange than the later R1 models so even though the later models are more powerful on paper, there is little between them on the road.

Stop worrying and enjoy.

- Paul

P.S. It is easy to turn the airbox 180 degrees and reduce the height of the installation. You might need a small hole in the bonnet but it will be acceptable.

[Edited on 12/2/09 by progers]

[Edited on 12/2/09 by progers]

Hellfire - 12/2/09 at 12:36 PM

TBH, I'm surprised you bought the engine without checking it's power output first but don't worry, you certainly won't be disappointed by it's meagre 150bhp.

Phil

afj - 12/2/09 at 01:00 PM

As above just turn the airbox 180 and move the breathers with it

dazdcfc - 12/2/09 at 07:57 PM

fish you dont stand a chance mate against the carbon beast. 400kg with more weight to come off.

Hellfire - 12/2/09 at 08:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dazdcfc
fish you dont stand a chance mate against the carbon beast. 400kg with more weight to come off.

Sounds like the Slimfast challenge is on!!

Phil

dazdcfc - 12/2/09 at 08:40 PM

yeah airbox just turn round like said above thats what i did with mine.

Steve Hignett - 12/2/09 at 08:52 PM

Sorry Fish, I'm afraid I'm with him on this one - (low) Weight is King with BEC's...

quote:

Major Stare - 13/2/09 at 07:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Sorry Fish, I'm afraid I'm with him on this one - (low) Weight is King with BEC's...

quote:

Daz has a full carbon bodied Westfield, so his weight advantage is massive. However he eats chips and kebabs and drives like a tart, so i should be ok

Steve Hignett - 13/2/09 at 08:24 AM

That be fightin' talk where I comes from...

I like it!

quote:
Daz has a full carbon bodied Westfield, so his weight advantage is massive. However he eats chips and kebabs and drives like a tart, so i should be ok

dazdcfc - 13/2/09 at 10:02 PM

ive lost a load of weight thanks to you giving me aids.lol. as for driving like a tart bring it on fish boy. ill all ways be one up as you know the cars a lot lighter carbon body magnesium wheels light weight seats live axle aero space bolts fastners- and alloy 4 pots to go on alloy hubs machined discs lightend drums+ more carbon and titanium to come. so ner na ner na ner ner.