Board logo

Power Drain - Blade Engine
mdc124 - 18/10/03 at 04:01 PM

I have a problem: It would seem that my Blade rectifier/generator can't keep up with the power demands of my car. I use a kliktronic unit and with the lights on I am struggling to get sufficient power for the unit to downshift.

My recifier had blown - I have replaced it and I have rewired the recifier-battery wiring this has made a bit of a difference but the problem is still there with full beam on.

If i switch the lights off (once the problem has started to show) it takes a few minutes for there to be sufficient power for the unit to operate properly again. i.e. not instant recovery)

Does anyone know what the maximum wattage the blade generator is capable of keeping up with?

Has anyone had a similar problem with insufficient power for thier electrics?

Any help appreciated before i start considerign extra batteries and new windings.

Cheers

Matthew

[Edited on 18/10/03 by mdc124]

bike_power - 19/10/03 at 09:14 AM

Sounds more like a battery problem as the battery should be able to provide the momentary bursts for gear changing.

Is it charging properly ?

Steve

mdc124 - 19/10/03 at 08:45 PM

as far as i can tell.

I need to get it checked - but I'm not sure how to test a bike engine with a car battery

Jon Ison - 20/10/03 at 04:42 PM

they used to just "short" the battery with a gauge in middle and look for "smoking" or "bubbleing" cells, but that is sniffed at now as a fire hazzard, a back street garage may still do it that way though, i would plumb for battery though, they do have a hard life in a BEC, or from what i have seen and experienced they do anyhow.

mdc124 - 20/10/03 at 07:03 PM

i'm gonna try a bike battery - I know someone with the same setup (exactly) running on a standard blade battery

someone mentioned that new car batteries have a different chemistry than old (and bike) wet cells, so i'll give that a go - if it fails and i cant find the problem then I'll just wire the kliktronic up on its own battery.

Jon. Whats in the garage?