Board logo

Battery and MOT Question
jacko - 20/3/12 at 07:05 PM

In the new MOT i believe the terminal / s have to be covered is it both or just the pos + terminal
The Wife's car is up for test on Friday
Thanks
Jacko

jacko - 20/3/12 at 09:38 PM

Any MOT people know this about batteries please the wife's battery dose not have a cover at all
will it fail its mot because of this
Thanks
Jacko

Andybarbet - 20/3/12 at 09:42 PM

Hi Jacko,

My dads SEAT Cordoba has no covers on the terminals, it never has from new (it's 14 year old now), it passed MOT last month without a hitch so fingers crossed you should be fine.

adithorp - 20/3/12 at 10:13 PM

First I've heard of it. The battery now has to be secure but not heard any mention of trerminal covers. Loads of cars are built without them. Like a lot of the new test bits, battery insecure used to be a fail then was dropped.

nickw2000 - 20/3/12 at 10:34 PM

Abit of duck tape over each terminal and job done if it does need for an mot lol

Macbeast - 20/3/12 at 11:40 PM

You certainly need both terminals covered for IVA

mark w - 21/3/12 at 12:41 AM

I'm an MOT tester & as far as I'm aware the only new part of the test (comes in as of the 1st April) to do with the battery is security of it, as before now all you could do was advise on battery insecure. Eml & airbag lights on will now fail the test from April

britishtrident - 21/3/12 at 07:47 AM

No mentioned in the new regs of terminnal covers, however it is a good idea to have the positive covered.

re battery security while now a testable item in it own right battery security always was the most common reason for issuing a a VT30 Refusal to Test Notification the grounds are:
"The tester considers insecurity of a load or other items would prevent a proper test being carried out - unless the load is secured or removed."

[Edited on 21/3/12 by britishtrident]

jacko - 21/3/12 at 06:33 PM

Thank You all for the info this has cleared it up for me
Jacko