Board logo

MOT and Catalyst
mdc124 - 15/4/06 at 04:54 PM

Hey

Everyone who has a Q plate but has had to use a cat for the SVA - this might be useful with the new Electronic MOT/DOT test.

Even though the computer system knew mine was an mk indy the tester had to enter some of the details manually

The interesing thing was that as a Q plate the 'Date of first use' was set to 1/1/1972, when he asked me if i knew the age of the donor i said 'no' and pointed at the V5C that said "date of first use unknown" so he left it as 1/1/1972

The system kindly printed out a test score sheet with so few required checks that the guy laughed

the nice point was:

"emission levels: VISIBLE"

No more worrying about a cat for me - the system has now registered that my car only needs a visible smoke test.

Hope this saves someone else some hassle in the future.

p.s. before anyone says "it's a q plate it only needs a smoke test" that isn't always the case.

Cheers

[Edited on 15/4/06 by mdc124]

wheezy - 15/4/06 at 04:56 PM

I think that must be one up for the Q platers.

DIY Si - 15/4/06 at 05:03 PM

It's always been that way with Q plates, since the car is one with parts of undetemined age. Hence the Q plate. The emissions test has been just visual for some time. Same as any pre '73 car. Like mine.

ch1ll1 - 15/4/06 at 05:22 PM

it can be changed next time !

DIY Si - 15/4/06 at 07:14 PM

But if you don't ask about it, they prob won't notice. And it can be left as a nice easy passable thing for ever more.