Board logo

Anyone used Toyo R1-R's in anger yet?
gingerprince - 29/6/10 at 08:33 AM

Wondered how they compared to R888's. When they first came out they were more expensive than R888's but they've now swung the other way - 195/50/15 from Camskill are about 96 quid for the 888's and 65 for the R1R's.

Ordinarily I'd be going straight for the 888's, but since I'm planning (when I can get the 13's to fit!) on running slicks on dry track days, these seem like in theory they'll be a better option for fast road + wet track day option. They will have to do at least one dry track day at Cadwell next week though assuming I can't get my 13's to fit in time (nail in Marangoni's sidewall forces immediate purchase!).

Thoughts?

A1 - 29/6/10 at 08:51 AM

not sure how good the r1 rs are, but the r888s are awesome, even in the wet. I was out in the winter when it was snow/icy and didnt have any bother at all.

gingerprince - 29/6/10 at 09:15 AM

I have heard the R888's are surprisingly good in the wet just not standing water.

I'm likely going to go for the tried and trusted R888 anyway , just throwing it out to see if there was any particularly positive experience from the R1-R's

turbodisplay - 29/6/10 at 09:35 AM

Uniroyal rainsport 2 are cheap tyres.
I find the grip very good, on track and road.

Darrren

dazzx10r - 29/6/10 at 09:43 AM

Well I've been scratching my head over what tyres to use for a little while now, finaly plumped for Yokohama Parada spec-2, read a couple of write ups on them and I think they will be a good compromise between track/road, hopefully

Hammerhead - 29/6/10 at 10:51 AM

I've got R1-Rs on my elise. Put them on fresh for a trip to the nurburgring. I'm impressed with them, good in standing water and nice and sticky in the dry. A million miles better than T1-Rs. I haven't tried R888s though so can't compare.

All in all I like them a lot.

skippad - 29/6/10 at 11:28 AM

Ive had both on MK's
R1's good all rounder, but when pushed, bubble up and go right "off"
888's superb, like to get hot, hotter the better, loads a grip, damps ok, don't like standing water though, aquaplaning yeha!
got 4500mls on current set and still plenty tread left!

[Edited on 29/6/10 by skippad]

gingerprince - 29/6/10 at 01:20 PM

Thanks all. Went for the 888's in the end, don't want anything that I'll destroy at Cadwell! I'm guessing the R1-R's struggle then because they're a softer compound but move around too much because of more tread pattern?