Board logo

BMW Bike (Damaged)... OPINIONS PLEASE!
scootz - 22/6/10 at 03:16 PM

I've found a donor... BMW K1300S for a reverse-trike. It's had a high-side off and suffered a lot of front end damage.

I'm told the back end is straight and the engine only has damage to its casings.

The price is good, but not so good that it's worth a blind-gamble. As I'll be buying blind, I could do with some opinions as to whether a single-sided swingarm bike such as this could do somersaults and still have an aligned swingarm. Is it a gamble worth taking, or best avoided?

[img][/img]

r1_pete - 22/6/10 at 03:22 PM

It depends on the price and what bits you need, sounds like back half of frame and swing arm plus engine.

Engine cases are expensive, and are always sought after.

This isn't an extremely popular bike, and used parts will be scarce so you could be looking at main stealers.

I doubt its done sumersaults looking at the seat plastics, so I'd recon the rear should be ok, they are very strong and barring hard side ipacts the tyre would absorb most shock.

I'd suggest pricing up the replacement engine casings before comitting.

fesycresy - 22/6/10 at 03:22 PM

And there'll be a disclaimer as to the description and it's up to you to verify it's condition.

I'd avoid unless I could see it.

Sorry.

JF - 22/6/10 at 03:28 PM

Hmm damage to the engine casing purely cosmetic? or broken/cracked? If it's cosmetic damage I'd take it. As mentioned above new/second hand casings are hard to get and expensive.

But would doubt there is any damage to the rear swingarm... these are virtually bulletproof. Unless it had a hard side impact, I don't really expect a problem. As as the rear fearing and lights seem in one peace the swingarm should be good.

I'd say get a confirmation on the damage to the engine, and decide...

And well you might need to source for an OEM dash. But not sure the BMW ecu needs it or not. Or ofcourse go for a aftermarket ecu from the start.

Good luck and keep us posted.

matt_gsxr - 22/6/10 at 03:36 PM

I saw that on e-bay a while back, when I was flirting with the idea of an engine change.

"
Hi the engine has some damage to the rocker cover, and r/h engine casing. Were the r/h engine casing has been pulled of there is a couple of snapped bolts. For the engine and running gear I would want around £1500 depending on exactly what bits you require.

Cheers James
"

Not sure if this helps, but I ran scared.

Matt

scootz - 22/6/10 at 04:02 PM

Cheers Matt... I didn't get the snapped bolts bit!!! That changes things!!!

Nice package but I'm now thinking it's not worth £1500!

Dangle_kt - 22/6/10 at 04:19 PM

plus you dont know if it has any damage to the wiring loom/ECU - serious money if anything is wrong there unfortunatly.

If it was £900ish I'd have a punt, but not at £1500.

scootz - 22/6/10 at 06:34 PM

Got some pics through... disappointed! I suppose there's still a bit of money in it given that it comes with the complete rear-drive (which would all get used on a trike), but £500 too much methinks as repairing that damage won't be cheap!

Image deleted by owner

Image deleted by owner

Image deleted by owner

[img][/img]

dazzx10r - 22/6/10 at 06:55 PM

Hmm, I would'nt touch it with a barge pole, just think about how fast that engine could have been spinning (screaming) whilst it was laid on it's side wth all of it's oil all over the road... not good.

r1_pete - 22/6/10 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dazzx10r
Hmm, I would'nt touch it with a barge pole, just think about how fast that engine could have been spinning (screaming) whilst it was laid on it's side wth all of it's oil all over the road... not good.

And all those alloy filings getting drawn in, no, that motor is spares only, and then with some careful examination.

scootz - 22/6/10 at 08:10 PM

Thanks all... think I will skip this one and look at a standard chain-driven set-up.

Suppose that will keep costs down and allow me to remain flexible on the engine I use!

JF - 22/6/10 at 10:45 PM

Yep step away from that bike!

If you have a broken engine and need some parts maybe... or just need the swingarm assembly I'd have a go. But not for complete package... certainly not for that money.

designer - 23/6/10 at 07:19 AM

Totally agree. Leave the bike, way too expensive and will cost a fortune to put right.