Board logo

Mini Turbo 1340cc
capri_big_jim - 19/8/08 at 11:02 PM

Mini Advantage 1987 E-reg

Rite here we have the sale of my Mini Turbo, I bought the car as a rolling shell nearly 2 years back, this way I knew it was a solid shell before I started. Along the way I have bought a lot of new parts for the car, as my train of thought was that as the shell was so good that it was worth doing properly. I have spent quite a number of hours re-building the car to a spec that I was happy with including re-trimming the interior myself (I’m an upholsterer by trade). I am selling the car as another project has come up which was totally unmissable.

Body

NO RUST ANYWHERE!!

The body is finished in Vauxhall Midnight Black which has a very high metallic content (see pics)

The shell is fully de-seamed apart from bumpers front and rear (which are brand new stainless items). It has a steel flip front which is very very well made (all electrics to which are on a trailer plug). It also has sportspack arches and a single skin smooth boot lid (with locking bonnet pin fasteners). The number plate is relocated to under the rear bumper where it is lit by a hidden led cluster.

The rear lights have clear lenses with the fog light relocated to the right reverse light cluster. The front indicators are also clear units, with the headlights being halogen replacements, with new plastic bowls.

The car has tinted opening rear quarter windows with new seals, and the front and rear screens (tinted in limmo black) also have new rubbers.

There is also a new Aston style fuel cap, new front grille in chrome with chrome buttons to match for ease of access.

Fully undersealed underneath and the interior floor is painted in Hammerite to stop any rust penetration from the top.

All of the vehicle wiring has been removed checked and where necessary replaced or repaired, the rear loom is a replacement one which didn’t need anything doing to it, it had good connectors and no damage. The front loom has had a few connectors replaced as they were corroded but is in generally original condition. All the electrics in the car work as they should and like new! The fuse box has been relocated inside the car to stop the normal corrosion. There is also a full power cut off key located under the bonnet, I use this when I leave the car anywhere as extra security.

Body Summary

Metallic Black paintwork
De-seamed roof and sides
New stainless bumpers
Steel Flip front
Sportspack arches
Smooth boot lid
Re-located numberplate
Clear lights
Halogen front lights
Opening quarter windows with new rubbers
New screen and rear screen rubbers
New cooper grille
New Aston fuel cap
Fully re-wired
Internal fuse box and relays

Interior

The interior has been fully re-done, the shell came with nothing so everything inside is either new or re-furbished as I have installed it.

The seats are brand new Corbeau Forzas used for less than 1000miles, the dashboard was a genuine Rover walnut item fitted with new clocks, but as the style of the interior was to be changed it was re-trimmed in burgundy and black vinyl, the top and bottom dash rails were covered to match. There is also a centre console which has been vinyl covered to match the dash too. The carpet is new from Mini Sport, it is a deluxe set which comes with heel pads and bound edges, also in burgundy. The roof is carpeted in black auto carpet rather than the usual headlining or just painted as with most caged cars, this was done by me and my father (also an upholsterer) to a high standard. There is a rear roll cage currently fitted in the car and the rest of the front section is also included in the sale, this just needs to be colour coded as it is currently white. The door cards and rear seat are Cooper half leather items, which match perfectly as they have the burgundy theme running through them. The door furniture is also new polished alloy handles and latch surround. The boot has a full board kit fitted covered in vinyl and carpet.

Interior Summary

Fully re-trimmed dash and dash rails
New deluxe carpet set with underfelt
New Corbeau Forza seats with 3 point Sparco harnesses
New clocks
Carpeted roof
Rear cage (with the rest supplied)
Centre console
Cooper door cards and rear seat
New Polished alloy door furniture
Fire extinguisher mounted to roll cage
New leather Mountney Steering wheel

Engine

This car has a Metro turbo engine, it has been bored out to 1340cc and has a slightly worked head, it has been modified to accept an intercooler and raised boost.
The engine has been fully set up at Sleaford Mini centre and produced 90bhp at the wheels with over 100ft/lb of torque from 2500rpm (dyno sheet to prove). This engine has not just been tuned for power, it has also been tuned to be reliable, it is driveable on an everyday basis but also has the go when you want to play or just for overtaking.
It has an adjustable boost valve, an internal boost gauge which is ivory to match the other gauges. It also has a dumpvalve to keep the turbo spinning between gear changes and to stop damage caused by back pressure on the turbo itself.
The cooling hoses are silicone as are the boost hoses, these are all brand new.
The radiator has an additional electric fan with thermostat to keep the temps down on very hot days sat in traffic. The gearbox is apparently a new old stock unit, it was replaced before I bought the car (reason for the re-build) but I have no proof of this other than it looks new and there are no strange noises or crunches. Metro Turbo fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump with inertia cut off are also fitted.

Engine Summary

Metro Turbo engine
1340cc
Improved cylinder head
Intercooled
Adjustable boost valve
Boost gauge
Dumpvalve
New old stock gearbox
Inertia safety fuel cut off

Suspension & Brakes

The car has Spax adjustable dampers all round, the front and rear subframe are both solid with no surface rust. Both rear radius pins have been replaced as have the bump stops. The front subframe is also solid mounted using a new kit from Mini Sport.

The brakes are Metro Turbo vented disks and 4pot callipers up front with an in car adjustable rear bias valve. Standard drums at the rear with new shoes and pistons.

The wheels are 7x13 Superlights with Yokohama tyres which have plenty of tread left and offer superb grip wet or dry.

Bad Points

There is a small dent on the scuttle and a paint flake where the panel has flexed.

There is a small amount of cracking where the arches meet the body

The tinting on the rear window has some small creases in it where it hasn’t been fitted properly.

There is also some laquer peeling on the wheels.

Summary

As I said I have spent a lot of time and a hell of a lot of money (a lot lot more than I’m asking) on this car, I think this is reflected in the condition and overall standard of the finish, it’s not the usual tat.

MOT till May 2009
Tax October

£4250 ono

Im based in Lincolnshire

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=42312&hl=

zilspeed - 20/8/08 at 08:24 AM

Nice.

That's very clean indeed.

Davey D - 20/8/08 at 08:32 AM

Oooh im liking that.. Very nice

TGR-ECOSSE - 20/8/08 at 01:08 PM

Very nice but i will stick to my 850cc

Danozeman - 20/8/08 at 08:31 PM

MMMMMMM I love mini's. This has come at just the wrong time. I had a mini as my first car and i know where it lived. I have been watching for it to come up for sale so i could buy it back. I went past the house the other day and its bloody gone so i cant get it!! I wanted to make it exactly like this one...

If i had 4 grand id snap your arm off.

capri_big_jim - 25/8/08 at 04:20 PM

Now only £3995 no offers

darrens - 25/8/08 at 06:21 PM

where abouts in lincolnshire are you? u2u if prefered.

Cheers

capri_big_jim - 25/8/08 at 06:53 PM

U2U sent

Krismc - 25/8/08 at 08:34 PM

ive got my 1997 cooper...nearly standard up fo sale at moment, if it was sold i would have that off you!!!

capri_big_jim - 25/8/08 at 11:26 PM

Sold

Thanks for the interest

Jim