Board logo

Antivirus/Internet Security
Nick DV - 8/1/12 at 10:25 AM

My i/n security/antivirus is about to expire and I need some advice on which one to replace it with. I currenty use McAfee which came with my Dell, but have noticed that when I have searched for antivirus, McAfee seems to get a low rating. Is there a better replacement and is it best to get a yearly licence or longer.

Whilst on the subject, my Dell warranty is about to expire, is it a good idea to renew with them or just take a chance and if things go wrong get my advice from clever people like you lot?

Cheers, Nick

designer - 8/1/12 at 10:31 AM

I use Avast on all my computers. It's free, always updates, and above all, works.

vyperstrype - 8/1/12 at 10:33 AM

I'll second that for Avast!!

Worzey - 8/1/12 at 10:35 AM

My bank (Barclays) provides Kaspersky for free as part of its internet banking service.

Try checking if you get free software with your bank before before paying.

norfolkluego - 8/1/12 at 10:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nick DV
My i/n security/antivirus is about to expire and I need some advice on which one to replace it with. I currenty use McAfee which came with my Dell, but have noticed that when I have searched for antivirus, McAfee seems to get a low rating. Is there a better replacement and is it best to get a yearly licence or longer.

Whilst on the subject, my Dell warranty is about to expire, is it a good idea to renew with them or just take a chance and if things go wrong get my advice from clever people like you lot?

Cheers, Nick

I use McAfee and have never had a problem.

Some really big companies that I have worked for use McAfee, wouldn't have thought their IT gurus would be recommending it if it were no good

Nick DV - 8/1/12 at 10:49 AM

Thanks for the replies. Never been sure about free A/V software - but I am noo expert - and TBH I have never had a problem with McAfee, was just concerned about the ratings. It's alos quite expensive compared with some others. Kaspersky seems to get a good rating so I may look at that, and check my bank.

Cheers, Nick

T66 - 8/1/12 at 10:52 AM

Avast

not a resource hog and works fine, and free.....

Chippy - 8/1/12 at 11:40 AM

Another vote for Avast, had it for years, it's free, and have never had any problems. Seems to update every time you turn on. HTH Ray

Nick DV - 8/1/12 at 11:48 AM

Looks like I will give Avast a go then. Thanks all for the advice.

Cheers, Nick

cerbera - 8/1/12 at 04:25 PM

Been using Microsoft Security Essentials after reading some good reviews, and it's free

mad4x4 - 8/1/12 at 05:32 PM

+1 on Avast

geoff shep - 9/1/12 at 08:23 PM

Kaspersky is the best paid one I've found - usual complaints are expensive renewals but just buy another cut-price retail package when your year's up - here's a cheap deal which is licensed for 5 PCs, and includes the update to the 2012 version:

Ebuyer.com