Board logo

British GP
maccmike - 5/7/12 at 09:36 PM

Off to Silverstone in the morning for the weekend, BRDC vip tickets too

tims31 - 5/7/12 at 10:12 PM

Nice... take you waders by the sounds of the weather.

Enjoy it, I haven't been for years but used to love going, the sound of the old Ferrari V12 were awesome Went every year from 89- 2000 but cant afford it now

stephen_gusterson - 5/7/12 at 10:28 PM

Im off to there too tomorrow. Was meant to be today until we had an email from Woodlands campsite that they are on code RED for the weather.

This means that you cant park next to your tent, you have to leave your car in a designated area the whole weekend, and if you leave with car, you cant come back.

Ive got used to comfy camping, have a tent that weighs 18kg on its own, and stuff to go with it. Chances of getting the tent up after work (im only 40 mins from the track) would have been cutting it fine as it was nearly dark last year once we had it up.

So, destined for mid afternoon tomorrow, (missing friday practice ) when its supposedly going to tip down. Just spent a fortune in wet weather stuf (well, £30 is if you dont use it ) and sun cream as well, to cover all bases.

I hope its going to be worth it. Number 1 son recons it will be great cos racing is better in the wet - if he says that when im wet through i might have to throttle him homer simpson style

atb

steve

Jon Ison - 5/7/12 at 11:11 PM

Best of British guys, I hope the weather doesn't spoil things for you but if you get some of the rain we have been seeing lately

we had a shower here earlier this evening that I could compare to when we got caught in hurricane Jean several years ago, the valley behind us now as that spooky foggy lok about it as the heat draws the water back up to drop it on some other unsuspecting soul.

what is the forecast around silverstone, ours is horrendous for tomorrow and we are not much more than an hour away.

stevegough - 6/7/12 at 05:15 AM

The weather was scorching when I went to the GP earlier this year..... mind you, it was 'down under'

thread

One word of advice, make sure you get some earplugs - I wear hearing aids, but I had to remove them and 'plug up' - the noise is literally painful!

Hope you all have a great few days.

puma931 - 6/7/12 at 07:36 AM

The forecast for Silverstone is liquid sunshine all weekend

[Edited on 6/7/12 by puma931]

Rod Ends - 6/7/12 at 12:59 PM

Practice on Freeview 301 now - raining

Westy1994 - 6/7/12 at 01:28 PM

Seems they have severely underestimated the numbers of cars turning up and trying to park... and are having issues housing everyone, how can they have got so confused?. Can you get a ticket on the day?, as I would have thought for such a big event it was pre-book only..

spiderman - 6/7/12 at 03:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Westy1994
Seems they have severely underestimated the numbers of cars turning up and trying to park... and are having issues housing everyone, how can they have got so confused?. Can you get a ticket on the day?, as I would have thought for such a big event it was pre-book only..

The reason for not being able to park next to the tent will be because of the weather, not because they have underestimated numbers. The camping area will be on grass no doubt and they still remember the fiasco of a few years ago when the race was held earlier in the season and everyone on the grass car parks had to be towed off by tractor as the rain had turned the car parks into a quagmire.

Westy1994 - 6/7/12 at 03:37 PM

Ahh I see, that was not explained as clear on the TV broadcast, having said that, its the UK in summer - it always rains...lol...

Also I noticed that the F1 show at 6pm features a Cat 7 doing an autotest by the looks of it, may be worth a watch?.

morcus - 6/7/12 at 03:52 PM

Is it raining everywhere else then? It's incredibly hot still here and unfortunatly no sign of rain what so ever.

Westy1994 - 6/7/12 at 03:56 PM

It is here, was thinking of taking the wheels off the 7 and using it as a canoe instead...... very wet here , car all legal for the first time in 12 months and all we get is rain, grrrrrrrr

stevegough - 6/7/12 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Westy1994
It is here, was thinking of taking the wheels off the 7 and using it as a canoe instead...... very wet here , car all legal for the first time in 12 months and all we get is rain, grrrrrrrr

That's good, I was wondering who to blame for Blackpool being its usual sunny self!

Johneturbo - 7/7/12 at 07:49 AM

Did i just hear on the news, Silverstone are telling people with tickets not to come today. shame on you Silverstone!

I'm going to Spa instead this year and the cost of the weekend is almost the same and thats including paying for travelling/ferry

rusty nuts - 7/7/12 at 07:57 AM

Suppose Bernie will be whinging about it and saying there may not be a British GP in the future due to access being a fiasco again?