Board logo

Anyone owned or Driven an Ypsilon? Would you buy one?
morcus - 31/10/12 at 03:47 PM

My Mother has told me she's thinking of swapping her PT Cruiser for an Ypsilon in january when the finance finishes and asked me what I thought, I said get a panda, which didn't go down so well. Much as I would enjoy how much I think my mother won't like the car if she gets one I feel I should ask if anyone on here has any experience of the car as I've never driven one so all my thoughts are based on numbers and such. I have driven Pandas though and think they're great cars.

Anyone got any other suggestions of what to look at? Must meet the following criteria, new/newish, not French or Korean and not painfully slow (I think the chrysler will be to slow for the way my Ma drives). Budget is about £18K I think but cheaper the better and much have at least one back door.

loggyboy - 31/10/12 at 03:56 PM

Not french or korean? I assume for quality?
But an italian/american bastard love child is ok?!

morcus - 31/10/12 at 04:17 PM

I know it's stupid, but thats what my mothers like. The best cars we've had have all been french or Korean, Though I think the Korean thing is due to past dealer experience and cost as they're not cheaper than other cars now.

TimC - 31/10/12 at 04:25 PM

Good Lord. I have to say that he PT Cruiser and Ypsilon are amongst the worst cars I've driven

ceebmoj - 31/10/12 at 04:26 PM

How about going to a car supper market, its an easy way to see lots of new ish stuff. Once you have found what you like go to the dealer. Also with 18k there is a lot of chose from.

[Edited on 31/10/12 by ceebmoj]

mcerd1 - 31/10/12 at 04:29 PM

well a Ypsilon is the same platform as a Panda/500 and the ford KA...
but then a punto is the same platform as a mito and a corsa D

is there any car out there that isn't sharing a platform these days ?

if she's getting something made by fiat anyway why not look at an Alfa Giulietta, otherwise you main options are going to be german....

[Edited on 31/10/2012 by mcerd1]

mookaloid - 31/10/12 at 05:01 PM

Why doesn't she get a fiat 500? it's the same platform and much more desirable (if that's the right word for a 500 )

morcus - 31/10/12 at 05:21 PM

Doesn't have back doors so it's a non starter.

rdodger - 31/10/12 at 05:22 PM

VW UP!

AndyW - 31/10/12 at 05:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

Just a comment on my views of Korean quality. I have recently got the new Kia Sportage, and I can assure you the quality is way better than all the audi's (had 3 A4's) and the BMW's ( 2 320's). In fact most people that have been in it have commented on how good the quality is. After all a 7 year warranty, it cant be crap anymore.

Just my opinion

loggyboy - 31/10/12 at 05:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

Just a comment on my views of Korean quality. I have recently got the new Kia Sportage, and I can assure you the quality is way better than all the audi's (had 3 A4's) and the BMW's ( 2 320's). In fact most people that have been in it have commented on how good the quality is. After all a 7 year warranty, it cant be crap anymore.

Just my opinion

I agree, but I just querying if that was the reason. I have also been impressed with the recent kia models ive used breifly.

I also dont think the french quality is as bad as it was, still some long term issues, but last 5-6 french cars we've had have been ok.

I would rather french over italian any day!

sdh2903 - 31/10/12 at 06:10 PM

I'm going to be bold here in the Italian vs French debate.

I hate modern French cars, with a passion. I loved the 80's and 90' hot hatches but the modern day ones urgggh! At least the Italian cars have character!

For your budget I would be looking at something German, fabia, polo etc or fiesta/focus.

just my 2penneth

ReMan - 31/10/12 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Good Lord. I have to say that he PT Cruiser and Ypsilon are amongst the worst cars I've driven

Not driven either but nor would I

Edited to add, "But each to their own"
Just would not want to be seen in either.
No help whatsoever I know, but with £18k surely theres gotta be a whole host of motors that would be better/more reliable/safer/ cooler?

[Edited on 31/10/12 by ReMan]

Ninehigh - 31/10/12 at 08:14 PM

By the sound of what you said maybe you should let her get one and when she hates it pull out the "told you so"

britishtrident - 31/10/12 at 08:31 PM

Korean cars are fast heading to be world leaders in the small to small medium sectors and and in school run SUV barges.
The 5 and 7 year warranties offered by Hyundai and Kia are helping but recent models are very good cars and very pleasant to dirve.

These days with manufacturers sharing floor pans engines gearboxes and production lines it is pretty difficult to tell who actually built a car but.......... French cars have never been good news though Peugeots for some reason are generally better than their Citreon branded brothers. Renault have managed to drag Nissan down although some Nissan models have less Renault influence than others.

Toyota have had problems of late with cylinder wear that has badly affected their bullet proof image in the trade much more than faulty cruise controls or water filled electric window switches.

Mazda are still pretty good and Fords are still Fords with all that implies good and bad.
VW are still VWs but because they keep tyring to reinvent the wheel perhaps not quite as bullet proof as the were but still they are VWs and much the same goes for Hondas

Fiats have a short life expectancy ... remember how it seemed about 5 or 6 years ago every second newish car on the road seemed to be a small Fiat. Puntos were selling like hot cakes to young drivers, now only the 500 is the only Fiat that seems to sell because it so dammed cute.

As for Chrysler, remember how Daimler-Benz invested heavily in the Chrysler then baled out PDQ? They didn't do that for without reason.

se7en - 31/10/12 at 11:15 PM

How do you feel about the Seat Ibiza ST?

The missus got one earlier this year and she thinks it is great. It has a 1.6TDI engine. With sports suspension it handles a treat. I have driven it and it sticks like sh1t to the proverbial. The finish both inside and outside is excellent - almost as good as VWs. It is well worth a look.

HTH

Tom