Board logo

Q PLATES
daniel mason - 31/1/09 at 05:07 PM

How much do Q plates de-value kit cars or would you not consider even buying a ready built Q plate?
I have seen one which im interested in but got warned off it because of plate!
Thanks guys

COREdevelopments - 31/1/09 at 05:16 PM

dont be put off by it, having a Q plate is not a bad thing on a 7 type car. if you cant prove where most of the major parts came from on the car they will usually issue a Q.

Rob

daniel mason - 31/1/09 at 05:19 PM

the problem was with the SVA paperwork and that the SVA man said he could not guarentee the engine and box were from same vehicle which seems strange because its a BEC!

Johneturbo - 31/1/09 at 05:26 PM

I don't think sva has anything to do with what reg you get,
which car are you talking about?

omega 24 v6 - 31/1/09 at 05:35 PM

I'll be getting a Q plate but I'm not too bothered. I would say that in the grand scheme of things it would put those not in the know off of a car compared to an age related plate IMHO.
But once you've built one you'll know what the quality is like and be able to make a better judgement.

zilspeed - 31/1/09 at 05:36 PM

I quite like the fact that my Sylva has an old 1973 'M' suffix plate.
I know that if the car were to be built now it wouldn't have that plate, that's maybe why I like it.

Have had several Q plates in the past and it really didn't matter a bit to me.
I've even seen Q plated Caterhams and didn't think any less of them for it.

keith2lp - 31/1/09 at 06:07 PM

My car is on a Q plate and the registration certificate states- Assembled from parts some or all of which were not new, which just about covers nearly all kit cars whether it is Q or age related.

I personally do not think it matters as I have seen very well built Q plates and some rough age related ones. Any purchase should be based on the quality of the car not the plate.

One other benefit is that I have changed the engine from a pinto to a Duratec and still only have emissions based on a pre 1985 engine.

Keith

Danozeman - 31/1/09 at 06:12 PM

Kit cars are what Q plates are for. Dont be put off because of it.

i actually prefer mine on a Q.

Humbug - 31/1/09 at 06:12 PM

IMHO the advantages of a Q are:

- smoke-only emissions test at MOT - my car was SVAd in 2005, the V5 doesn't have the emission levels on it and I have taken the cat off now

- nobody can tell when it was built because it is it not year-related.

Disadvantages:

- You can't change the reg (if that floats your boat). Personally, this would only bother me if I had a close replica of something and wanted a reg in keeping with the original.

- non-kit car people might see it as a bit iffy, because most other cars with a Q have had some history, e.g. rebuilt from unknown parts, repaired right off or some such.

adithorp - 31/1/09 at 06:14 PM

If it's already got a Q plate on it then why are you filling in SVA forms?

adrian

ruskino80 - 31/1/09 at 06:24 PM

when i built my first, a robin hood 2b,i was pleased it was assigned a q plate ,it makes no real difference and in my eyes i did not want it to be on an f plate-people might say 'oh look at that old sports car'
just my 2 penneth.

Meeerrrk - 31/1/09 at 07:14 PM

it didnt make the slightest bit of difference to me. its a kit car, a q plate is quite suitable IMHO

A1 - 31/1/09 at 07:14 PM

I asked for q plates, it saved me a load of time getting her on the road, plus i think theyre quite snazzy...

daniel mason - 31/1/09 at 10:12 PM

thanks for all your help guys.I could not work out how a Q plate could make a huge difference as the quality of the build has nothing to do with the plate

adithorp - 31/1/09 at 10:25 PM

Q (on a kit car) means either...

The builder applied for an age related reg (same year designation as donor) and didn't have enough proof that enough of the parts came from a donor to get one, so got a Q

Or applied for a new reg and didn't have enough new parts/proof to get one and got a Q

Or wanted a Q/couldn't be arsed jumping through the required hoops and applied for registration and got one.

Disadvantage of a Q is some people are dubious of them. You can't put a private reg on one. You might have hastle with MOT being required before 3 years when you come to tax it (lots of debate on this)

Adrian

ReMan - 31/1/09 at 10:25 PM

As said, "Q plates are for kit cars".
So as long as your happy it's all kosher then no problem and no reduction in value.
The only down side is if (like myself ) you want the option of a private plate at some time, tough!

If you were looking at a tin top with a Q then that's probably a different story

Simon - 1/2/09 at 07:04 PM

Mines a Q - just tell people it was built in 96 - 97 (between P and R reg's) and that they are very rare

In the days before I had a Q plate, I'd sneer at cars with them - only through ignorance, but hey... what a difference a little knowledge makes!

ATB

Simon