Board logo

Anyone use sketchup?
tegwin - 3/2/09 at 10:54 PM

I have been using Sketchup to do some concept drawings of a building at work.... they have now decided they want some proper "flythroughs"

You can set a camera path and compile an animation from Sktchup but its not amazing quality... its a bit framey..

Does anyone have any idea if there is an external rendering engine that actually works and looks decent?

I should be using 3D SM, but they dont want to buy it for me, and it would take me weeks/months to learn how to use it!

chrisg - 3/2/09 at 11:02 PM

I use Rhino

here

It's quite expensive but you might be able to do something with the free download.

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 3/2/09 by chrisg]

scootz - 3/2/09 at 11:06 PM

I've used Sketch-Up.

Good fun, but I didn't really read up on it, so wasn't getting the most out of it.

JamJah - 3/2/09 at 11:12 PM

For stills just export as a jpeg into photoshop and use effects.
Or as you asked for video, I found exporting into 3d model files meant a lot more options. For example importing into Autocad Architect lets you play with addins for more fluid camera work, to hi def frame by frame rendering.

JamJah - 3/2/09 at 11:27 PM

Just been talking to a friend on who still uses Sketchup and for professional reasons...
He suggests to look at some of the results here

fazerruss - 4/2/09 at 07:39 AM

I'm not too keen on it but the missus likes it on her chips.

Sorry couldn't resist. I'll get my coat!

clutch_kick - 4/2/09 at 11:47 AM

I find it good for playing around. This is my future house. Still demolishing the existing building. Ground, First floor and roof respectively.

tegwin - 4/2/09 at 02:05 PM

Considering its free, its amazing!!

I did this for a project at work Click here

I just want to be able to render out some better video walkthoughts with some form of external renderer...

Or ideally learn how to use 3D studio max!